• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Baseball fans?

muggle said:
OK, who led the 1975 Reds in Home Runs and how many did he hit.

Without cheating, I believe George Foster won the NL batting title that year, and lead the league in Home Runs, and RBI's? Don't remember how many it was, though.

That 60 Pirates team was a bit before my time, buy you had to like the '77-'78(?) team, too, huh? Willie Stargell, Dave Parker, and the "We Are Family" bunch!

Great team.

leckert said:
Without cheating, I believe George Foster won the NL batting title that year, and lead the league in Home Runs, and RBI's? Don't remember how many it was, though.

That 60 Pirates team was a bit before my time, buy you had to like the '77-'78(?) team, too, huh? Willie Stargell, Dave Parker, and the "We Are Family" bunch!
Great team.
It was not George Foster. Hint, it was a player now in the hall of fame. :)

Pirates had a nice team in 1977, 1978, and the year they won the W.S. in 1979. Willie Stargell, pops as he was known, was a great guy and liked by all. I never seen anyone that hit the ball as "hard" as he did. I was at a game in the early/mid sixties when he hit a home run off Sandy Koufax. Koufax just stood on the mound and shook his head, Stargell hit the ball so hard.

It's funny you guys bring up the Pirates of that era. Just the other night I was telling somebody too young to remember about Dave Parker throwing a guy out from right field (in an All-Star game?) on the fly.
I just wish I could remember Clemente more clearly. Every time you hear his stats, they seem mind-boggling, but he doesn't seem to get mentioned much these days.

funes said:
It's funny you guys bring up the Pirates of that era. Just the other night I was telling somebody too young to remember about Dave Parker throwing a guy out from right field (in an All-Star game?) on the fly.
I just wish I could remember Clemente more clearly. Every time you hear his stats, they seem mind-boggling, but he doesn't seem to get mentioned much these days.
The stats on Clemente that you really don't see are the ones on his fielding. The guy may have had the best arm in baseball, bar none. Base runners very seldom tried to take the extra base on him and he would even throw out those that thought they were playing it safe. His feats in right field were a joy to watch. How many outfielders have thrown the batter out at first base on what was a single to right field. He and Willie Mays perfected the 'basket catch", that although was a bit of showboating, thrilled the fans. Gosh, I miss seeing him play.

I know that back when the Pirates had their own version of the "Killer Bs", Barry Bonds got compared to Clemente fairly often. Back then the comparisons seemed premature, now they are flat out ridiculous. Back then. Barry was just a guy who disappeared in the post season, now he's a cheater. You get the idea.

funes said:
I know that back when the Pirates had their own version of the "Killer Bs", Barry Bonds got compared to Clemente fairly often. Back then the comparisons seemed premature, now they are flat out ridiculous. Back then. Barry was just a guy who disappeared in the post season, now he's a cheater. You get the idea.
You mean barry balco...no more needs to be said. :)

funes said:

Bonds couldn't carry Clemete's ermmmm supportive equipment.

Seriously, have you seen anyone wear more combat gear to the plate then Barry Bonds?

curiouswonder said:
Shhhhhh! That is the big surprise ending of the final movie of the.....never mind.

It wouldn't surprise me. You just wait, he'll get hurt, get cut, and then write a book. Are we talking about Barry or Jose here?:confused:

:D

I thoroughly enjoyed Jose's book "Juiced". A funny, quick read with a few valid points thrown in.

Back