• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Beatrix Potter

RainbowGurl

Her house is situated in Cumbria. She was a famous childrens writer. I have visited her house a few times. the area is just the same as the drawings in her book. It's a very pretty area. You wen't allowed to take photoes of inside her house but here is a picture of where she used to stand, where I'm standing, I was about 5 in this picture, it was the only good picture I could find lol.

View attachment atinypic_com_ticn

Nice Picture ^_^
You're lucky, I would have loved to have been able to go there. I used to love reading (or having someone read to me) her stories and fables before bed. The art in the books was lovely as well.

I saw a movie about her a few months ago. I was so excited to see that she was the creator of Peter Rabbit and many more characters afterwards.

I had the priveledge of owning her small book collection for a while, the givers asked for them back:(

Fascinating and sad story about her life.

I was interested to find out that she was also a fairly well respected scientist and had done some groundbreaking work in the field of mycology. I've often wondered what she could have achieved if she'd been educated and allowed more leeway to develop her intellect.

The movie is excellent and gives good views of her house and the countryside. There is a little fanciful stuff about the animals, but they didn't cutesy it up too much. Somewhere I have a biography of her called The Tale of Beatrix Potter which is very good. One of the benefits of her books, which were very successful, was that she made money and that gave her greater independence from her dominating parents.

I only know Beatrix Potter's work from the Petter the Rabit cartoons I used to watch, with enormous pleasure, on weekend mornings when I was very young. I've made acquaintance with most British children's authors through television: A.A Milne, Edith Nesbit, Alfred Bestall (of the Rupert the Bear fame); sometimes I think I should read their books, but I always get distracted by other writers.

I always knew about peter rabbit, and it was nice to find out about this woman that created him.

Back