• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Beer! (Split from National Stereotypes)

I'll match that PBR with:

Black Label, Red White and Blue, Iron Horse, Piel's Light, and Schlitz.

I can remember being able to buy a case of Black Label bottles in college for $4.99....

Schlitz, Window Unit A/C and Elementary School

There's a country artist named Robert Earl Keen that tells a story on a live album about how his friend convinced him to move back to Texas from Nashville. His friend was telling him about how it was a beautiful day in San Marcos and how he had driven down a side street, where he came across 20 Mexican guys in the front yard of a house. They were standing in front of a table mounted window unit air conditioner that was plugged in somewhere inside the house via a long extension cord. They were all drinking Schlitz beer. At this point, Keen says, "I thought, 'Mmmm. I haven't had a Schlitz beer since elementary school.'"

Dear God, a thread on beer without my input? Beer is possibly my passion (yet I haven't touched a drop since Jan, so hold the alcoholic comments thanks).

There are so many varieties of beer you can't possibly say, 'I don't like beer'. You just haven't found the right one!

English ales should be served at cellar temperature, as whoever copied the CAMRA guidelines said. And yes that makes them a bit warm. However have you noticed that if you go in an English pub and ask for a bottle of traditional ale, it will more often than not come out of a fridge.

Lagers should be served cold here though. I don't recall ever being served a pint of warm lager (apart from when some dozy bar maid puts it in a warm glass).

America, contrary to popular belief, produces some really interesting beers. If you just manage to think past their more prolific brands (that whilst being 'American' are more often than not brewed in the country they're sold in), the country has a thriving micro-brewery sector, producing some popular brews that are very unlike what we would think of as American beers.

Novella, if you still care - yes I have made beer in the past. Lots. And wine (and no, I'm not an alcoholic!). Oh and the guy who edits the CAMRA bible also wrote a book - The Complete Guide to World Beer (Roger Protz). A very interesting read, takes you through the brewing process, the world's beers, the culture of drinking and the history of the brewing industry.

Back