• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Behaviour of the faceless man.

novella said:
That's why I exist! I finish everyone else's sentences! It is a terrible thing to do, but there it is. Someday I will get mouth staples and life will be smooth.

I'll be needing a set of those selfsame staples, for somewhat different reasons - my acid tongue is at its most fluid when being insulting... Only ever in jest, of course.

I would like to point out and I don't think this is anything to do with what hay82 is saying that I notice on forums that I have been on with younger people, teenagers mainly, they are more imature when it comes to descussing or putting opinions of what they think in a sensable way and a polite way. I notice they say silly comments such as "Your gay" or "What are you on?" If something they don't beleive in is said.

RainbowGurl said:
I would like to point out and I don't think this is anything to do with what hay82 is saying that I notice on forums that I have been on with younger people, teenagers mainly, they are more imature when it comes to descussing or putting opinions of what they think in a sensable way and a polite way. I notice they say silly comments such as "Your gay" or "What are you on?" If something they don't beleive in is said.

I think some people are hesitant to think a little more deeply about a subject, and it's just easier to throw out an insult. Spoils the discussion so many times and comes across as defensive.

For myself, I have no idea if the real me would match someone's conception of what I am online. It's like when you finally see a picture of a radio voice you've listened to forever, and you've formed an image. The photos never conform to the mental images their voices inspired.

If you met me and I seemed different from "online novella", perhaps that's just because of a similar phenomenon--your imagination has filled in so many blanks. It doesn't mean that what's been said here isn't upfront and on the level.

Don't we all have many selves anyway? One of the key benchmarks in personality development in adolescents is that they begin to recognize and use their ability to be different people in different situations. That's when a kid will start to segregate types of friends, as all adults do.

I notice they say silly comments such as "Your gay" or "What are you on?" If something they don't beleive in is said.
A certain member of this forum does come to mind.

Cheers

I'm not particularly active on this forum so I would compare myself to how I am on other forums, and basically, you would never know it was the same person. In 'real' life I barely ever discuss political, religous, news matters to the sort of depth and passionate debate that I do in the forums. You'd be a lot more likely to find me discussing the 'simple' things in life like work, sex, getting drunk, nights out etc. I'm a lot more 'dumbed down' in real life.

spatha said:
I'm not particularly active on this forum so I would compare myself to how I am on other forums, and basically, you would never know it was the same person. In 'real' life I barely ever discuss political, religous, news matters to the sort of depth and passionate debate that I do in the forums. You'd be a lot more likely to find me discussing the 'simple' things in life like work, sex, getting drunk, nights out etc. I'm a lot more 'dumbed down' in real life.
I think I'm the same as that too.

On forums I like to get into deep descussions but when I'm in real life in person with someone they often don't want to hear that stuff. Maybe its just some of the people I'm with too because some arn't intrested in that kind of stuff while others of my friends are.

The way I am on this forum is the way I am in real life. To be rude or dishonest, or abusive is not in my nature in "3D" life so it is not part of my "forum" life. The only difference is the topic of conversation. I know a very few people who like to read the same things I do, so I come to this forum to be able to talk about them. If other topics come up, well, I'm game for that too. As far as my avatar is concerned, I use it on all the forums I frequent. It is a quilt block that I liked. Nothing too symbolic or deep, I'm afraid.

i think the only difference for me is that here you can edit what you say whereas in real life.........oh to have an edit button. sigh.
and also i think that i am more apt to stand up for myself on the forum, if i disagree or feel slighted, where in life i would likely disregard something or think of something brilliant to say later when the moment has passed.
but as to my personality online, i hope it comes off the way it is intended, light hearted and funny. hence my avatar. he is a character called bubbles from a popular show in canada(maybe you get it in the states on showcase) called trailer park boys. it is an independant type show, not something you would ever catch on thursday night. :D

Back