• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Behaviour of the faceless man.

I tend to act near enough the same on forums as I do in real life. Though I guess I may be a little more reserved in real life (until I get to know someone). I guess the main difference is that I am happy to be part of discussions online where as I rarely participate in real life.

I also don't disclose much about myself online and am less personal. As for avatars, I must admit I do tend to associate people with their avatars (a cetain crazy wabbit comes to mind ;) ).

I rarely (if ever) change my avatar, though I do use different avatars for different forums.

dele said:
Maybe a touch less personal, because I don't like the idea of perfect strangers reading the intimate details of my private life.
I think that for some people here it actually quite personal. Here I'm thinking about some of the people who post their writing. Does their writing not actually tell us much about them, perhaps not about their personal life but more like the inner workings of the person? I would assume that people put their hearth and soul into their writing, and eventhough not all here are professional writers, still something of that person have to reflect itself in it.
Am i completly wrong here?

Hmm... perhaps I should have expanded on my earlier post. In many ways, I am a lot more honest here, a lot more open than I would be with most of my friends. By less personal, what I meant to say was that I don't give out my full name, my phone number or address (or even my email address!) That isn't because I don't trust any of the members of this forum, it's that I don't trust the 21 guests and Google Spiders who are online right now.

Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish. and yet it also pleases me and seems right that what is of value and wisdome to one man seems nonsense to another.

--------------From Siddhartha

hay82 said:
I think that for some people here it actually quite personal.
There's a funny thing about writing - at least for me. It's personal, but in sharing or putting it out on public display, it becomes less personal (just me) and more objective.

Here I'm thinking about some of the people who post their writing. Does their writing not actually tell us much about them, perhaps not about their personal life but more like the inner workings of the person? I would assume that people put their hearth and soul into their writing, and eventhough not all here are professional writers, still something of that person have to reflect itself in it.
Writing does reveal something of the writer - but only what she/he wants to show. So, it's not really that different from people who show or hide parts of their real personalities in posts. Although my writing and posts represent the real me, it's only a small part of the whole.

Ell said:
There's a funny thing about writing - at least for me. It's personal, but in sharing or putting it out on public display, it becomes less personal (just me) and more objective.
It's that just something that happens inside you to guard you from the possible criticism of the work?
Ell said:
Writing does reveal something of the writer - but only what she/he wants to show.
Wouldn't that affect you writing in a negative way, having to limit what you say in order not to reveal to much?

watercrystal said:
Words do not express thoughts very well. They always become a little different immediately they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish. and yet it also pleases me and seems right that what is of value and wisdome to one man seems nonsense to another.

--------------From Siddhartha
I can relate to words not expressing thought very well, but how should one then express ones thoughts? Painting? Expressions? Is it at all even possible to correctly express ones thoughts?

Ice said:
I
I also don't disclose much about myself online and am less personal. As for avatars, I must admit I do tend to associate people with their avatars (a cetain crazy wabbit comes to mind ;) ).
Are you trying to say i'm crazy like my avatar? :D

hay82 said:
It's that just something that happens inside you to guard you from the possible criticism of the work?
Perhaps, partly. Though I think it's more of a therapeutic process. Once something is written, the feelings or emotions have been dealt with and you can go on more easily. It's a feeling of, "Okay, I've got it all out. I get it! Now I can move on." It doesn't happen the same way with every piece. Some issues come up time and again, grab hold and won't let you go.

Wouldn't that affect you writing in a negative way, having to limit what you say in order not to reveal to much?
I can only speak for myself (and that we're talking about introspective experiential writing versus fictional entertainment here). It's more that I write what I'm ready to write emotionally, intellectually at a given time -- not so much limiting what I say, but revealing only snippets of the totality. Does this make any sense?

ell

Ell said:
It's more that I write what I'm ready to write emotionally, intellectually at a given time -- not so much limiting what I say, but revealing only snippets of the totality. Does this make any sense?
You write based on where you are emotionaly in your life, sort of a way of working through the emotion and when you are done you are not at that same emotional stage anymore. Right?

SillyWabbit said:
Are you trying to say i'm crazy like my avatar?
My guess is more..

dele said:
I think it's easier to be rude and obnoxious on the internet because you have total anonymity. You don't have to worry about what your friends will think or if it will affect your reputation at all.

i think in "real" life you shouldn't worry bout what your friends may think, just be how you want to be!! but also you should avoid to be rude in real life as in forums, because sometimes something you say cuts deeper than you could ever image.

honeydevil said:
i think in "real" life you shouldn't worry bout what your friends may think, just be how you want to be!! but also you should avoid to be rude in real life as in forums, because sometimes something you say cuts deeper than you could ever image.
That's a very good point.

hay82 said:
I think that for some people here it actually quite personal. Here I'm thinking about some of the people who post their writing. Does their writing not actually tell us much about them, perhaps not about their personal life but more like the inner workings of the person? I would assume that people put their hearth and soul into their writing, and eventhough not all here are professional writers, still something of that person have to reflect itself in it.
i really like your thoughts, because if you only read the persons writing you can't say anything about their social life,s o you can't judge this people because their black, or asian or rich or poor!! i think it is just awsome!!
have a nice day :)

honeydevil said:
i think in "real" life you shouldn't worry bout what your friends may think, just be how you want to be!!
I think being who you want to be is easier than it sounds. I find myself thinking of how you people on this forum see me although I really don't know you.

I'm really none too good at face-to-face conversation, I stumble quite frequently and have an annoying tendency not to finish my sentences. I'm generally far more eloquent in the written word than in open speech, so in many ways I prefer fora as they allow me to present myself as I wish to without being constrained by my social dysfunctionality. However, I do not show myself as anything different character-wise on the internet, the integrity of my personality is solid, regardless of the sphere of communication.

hay82 said:
You write based on where you are emotionaly in your life, sort of a way of working through the emotion and when you are done you are not at that same emotional stage anymore. Right?
That's it.

themistocles said:
However, I do not show myself as anything different character-wise on the internet, the integrity of my personality is solid, regardless of the sphere of communication.
I love this. It's going into my data bank of excellent quotes! :)

hay82, I don't think you have anything to worry about. To me, you come across as a thoughtful, intelligent person with a decent sense of humour. ;)

honeydevil said:
i think in "real" life you shouldn't worry bout what your friends may think, just be how you want to be!!...

Your friends will like or love you anyway! :D a quote from a classmate.

Ell said:
hay82, I don't think you have anything to worry about. To me, you come across as a thoughtful, intelligent person with a decent sense of humour.

:rolleyes: :p :D

Ell said:
hay82, I don't think you have anything to worry about. To me, you come across as a thoughtful, intelligent person with a decent sense of humour. ;)
:) Well uhm .. Thank you for that. See you much the same way..

watercrystal said:
HEY! what do you mean by that :eek: :D ?

Themistocles said:
I stumble quite frequently and have an annoying tendency not to finish my sentences.

That's why I exist! I finish everyone else's sentences! It is a terrible thing to do, but there it is. Someday I will get mouth staples and life will be smooth.

Ell said:
I'm pretty much myself on the book forum - though probably not as reserved in person. :D Doesn't seem to be much point trying to be something different - way too hard to keep up.

Agree with your comment about anonymity. It seems to encourage some people to be ruder or nastier than they would in a face to face situation.
Like you, Ell, I'm just me. Hard to be otherwise without a pseudonym, but I prefer it this way.

Hay82: you are quite amiable.

Novella: No staples, please. You're doing just fine - shooting off your thoughts and coming up with good threads.

Back