• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bernard Cornwell: The Winter King

Oh you're welcome Thomas, the Stewart's are magical to me. Although they don't use that much "magic" in them. Maybe that is what I liked so much, they are a good blend.

I liked it but didn't love it. I think this is because I expected the book to be about Arthur from the get-go whereas he didn't make an appearance until close to page 100. Those pages were quite difficult to get through but once Arthur was introduced I ended up enjoying the story. In addition to a slow beginning I also wish Cornwell included a pronunciation guide. After a while I was getting tired of looking up every other location, character name, etc.

On a more positive note I did enjoy Cornwell's take on certain characters. Merlin was quite comical and I was surprised to get a more villainous Lancelot.

I really must read The Winter King. I am usually not a huge fan of Arthur stories, (done to death) but I've heard good things about this book.

Winter King

Just finished the book yesterday. There are a lot of names and places that are difficult to read and I was unsure how to pernounce. For the first half of the book, I found myself referring to the map in the back and the cast of names and places in the front multiple times each page just to be able to follow what was going on.

However, once I got about half way through, I was able to read without reference and the pages began to turn very fast. The book was excellent and I went to Barnes and Noble to pick up Enemy of God (Part 2 of the trilogy) as soon as I finished Winter King. I am now reading Enemy of God and it picks up right where Winter King leaves off. This series takes a little bit of time to really get into, but if you can stick with it, you will not be disappointed.

I also read Stonehenge, which took no time to get through. Another excellent piece.

Now that I have learned of this author, I need to decide what to read after the Arthur trilogy (Agincourt, Saxons, or Grail). Any suggestions?

Just finished the book yesterday. There are a lot of names and places that are difficult to read and I was unsure how to pernounce. For the first half of the book, I found myself referring to the map in the back and the cast of names and places in the front multiple times each page just to be able to follow what was going on.

However, once I got about half way through, I was able to read without reference and the pages began to turn very fast. The book was excellent and I went to Barnes and Noble to pick up Enemy of God (Part 2 of the trilogy) as soon as I finished Winter King. I am now reading Enemy of God and it picks up right where Winter King leaves off. This series takes a little bit of time to really get into, but if you can stick with it, you will not be disappointed.

I also read Stonehenge, which took no time to get through. Another excellent piece.

Now that I have learned of this author, I need to decide what to read after the Arthur trilogy (Agincourt, Saxons, or Grail). Any suggestions?

I would recommend either the Saxon series or the series he wrote about an English bowman, Archers Tale, I think was the name. Both are excellent.

I love Bernards writing, but I havent got the excitment over the saxon series. Seems like a secind rate authur series to me :).

Is that view heresy?

I love Bernards writing, but I havent got the excitment over the saxon series. Seems like a secind rate authur series to me :).

Is that view heresy?

Heresy? Not at all! We all understand that 'your mileage may vary.' That's what makes this reading life so interesting. Ten people may read the same book, but rest assured there will be ten very different opinions on that book.

Back