• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best 5 Science Fiction Books ever!

Rogue

I'm looking for some really gorgeous Science Fiction books and would appreciate some suggestions. :D
So what are your favourites?

1. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
2. I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
3. The Time Machine - H. G. Wells
4. Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
5. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Looking at your list, I'd probably recommend you go and check out Bujold's Vorkosigan series (starts with Shards of Honour which can be found separately or in the Cordelia's Honour anthology with book 2 which won the Hugo).

Well Hitchiker's Guide does bear similarities to Sirens of Titan

Well you wanted a list. Off the top of my head (and so could change in a day or 2)

1. The Stars My Destination ~ Bester
2. Lord of Light ~ Zelazny
3. Hyperion ~ Simmons
4. Gateway ~ Pohl
5. Day of the Triffids ~ Wyndham
6. Certain short stories by Phillip K Dick

Wish I could properly comment here but I just realised that as much as I love them I've never completely read 5 sci-fis :(

I'm reading Prelude to Foundation
I once started reading but never finished the novel of Star Wars: Episode II
I have read Day of the Triffids which was good
I also read some kids' Star Wars books
And thats it... :eek:

I guess I'll try some on your lists

Babel-17 by Samuel Delany is a fantastic read. I'd second Fluffy bunny's reccomendations, in particular the Lord of Light and The Stars My Destination.
For more modern works you could try Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan and Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.

The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke is stunning; though I at first thought it a little dry, I would now consider it a masterfully crafted work.

Yes, I am with you on that one! I remember reading it a long time ago and being really impressed with it.

I'm not sure all of these classify as sci-fi, so pardon any goofs.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Contest by Matthew Reilly
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

I don't read much sci-fi lately, but used to when I was a kid.

• A Canticle For Liebowitz - Walter Miller Jr.
  • The Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K Le Guin
  • Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  • Foundation and Empire series - Isaac Asimov {I know these're more than one - but lets just pretend they're one very long novel :D}
  • Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

Starship Troopers--Robert Heinlein
Rendevous with Rama--Arthur C. Clarke
The Stars My Destination--Alfred Bester
Dune--Frank Herbert
Downbelow Station--C. J. Cherryh

Very hard to narrow down to five! You can replace Troopers with The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, but Heinlein must be represented. Much as I love them, I really regard Bradbury and Zelazny as fantasists than true science fiction writers. F 451 is good sf, but Bradbury's best novels are more fantasy oriented.

fluffy bunny said:
I seriously couldn't get into that. Something about Cherryh's style leaves me cold.
The one female writer I put on the list ... :rolleyes: ...

<mutters> somedays ya can't win ...

I guess it must be me. Downbelow Station just didn't engage me. Cyteen was better, though a little confusing at times. I'll admit I haven't read her fantasy work.

Cherryh and Le Guin (Left Hand of Darkness, Earthsea)- 2 authors I'd really like to enjoy, but for some reason I just seem to scratch the surface without becoming involved in the books.

Ever? Thats a tall order....Hmm....
Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Hogan's Giants Series
Asimov's Foundation Trilogy (It used to be a Trilogy)
Greg Bear Forge of God

Jules Verne ought to be in there somewhere too and Ben Bova, but I can't think of the names of the books I'm thinking about.

I haven't read tons of sci-fi, but my choices, today, would be:
Canticle for Liebowitz - Walter Miller
Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny
The Mote in God's Eye - Nevin & Pournelle
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
Neuromancer - William Gibson

Mote's a good one. Gave me the creeping ebeejeebies though. If you like Pournelle and Niven try Footfall or The Legend of Heroet(sp)? Something like that. THOSE two are GOOD.

I've just finished reading The Legacy of Heorot. Got to admit I found it quite gripping. I've never read Beowulf though, so the references to Grendel meant nothing to me.

My top 5 would be:
Time is the Simplest Thing - Clifford Simak
Take Back Plenty - Colin Greenland
Needle - Hal Clement
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Only Forward - Michael Marshall Smith

in no particular order

Back