• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best 5 Science Fiction Books ever!

Definately Ender's Game, i love that book.

On my top five would probably be Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, which i really enjoyed :)

Phil

funes said:
Canticle for Liebowitz - Walter Miller
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Canticle for Liebowitz was brilliant. I thought it was very nicely constructed story. :)

Neuromancer confused me. :)

My recommendation would be: _When Gravity Fails_ by George Alec Effinger. Okay, that's only one book, but it's a good book. I first was introduced to Effinger's wonderful Budayeen from a computer game long long time ago called Circuit's Edge. I'm hunting for the other Budayeen books ever since completing When Gravity Fails.

ds

...gorgeous Science Fiction books? How about these instead.

The Man Who Fell To Earth and Mockingbird by Walter Tevis
The Vertical Fruit of the Horizontal Tree by Howard V. Hendrix

Five Best SF Books!

Without question (though not necesarily in order):

1. The Foundation Trilogy (the first three only--classic Asimov), Isaac Asimov
2. Dune (classic, sweeping, brilliant), Frank Herbert
3. Moving Mars (very human look at a future Earth, not so distant), Greg Bear
4. Space Cadet (fun, written for teens 50 years ago), Robert Heinlein
5. Rendezvous with Rama (facing the mystery and wonder of deep space), Arthur C. Clarke

I was recently listening to the audio book version of Dune but I just couldn't get into it. Quite frankly it was boring me and I had to stop listening to it :eek:

In no particular order:

- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (How biology and pharmacology could change our life...brain smashing)
- The foundation serie (All of them: even if the 2 last are quite different, I also find them very interesting and questions bringing)
- 1984 by George Orwell (What could a dictatorship be, with "technology") (At the origin of the big brother expression)

Let's say it makes 5, they difinitively are must read, particularly Huxley's and Orwell's ones

1.) Sea of Swords -RA Salvatore
2.) Homeland- RA Salvatore
3.) Transcendance- RA Salvatore
4.) Haunted- Meg Cabot
5.) The Order of the Pheonix- JK Rowling

1) Starship Troopers - RAH
2) Midshipman's Hope - David Feintuch
3) The Dragon Never Sleeps - Glen Cook
4) The Parafaith War - L.E. Modisett
5) The Legacy of Heorot - Niven, Pournelle, Barnes

I can't recommend Midshipman's Hope enough. It's possibly the best SF I found in the last decade. Horatio Hornblower in space, and done well. Strongly recommended.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
1.) Sea of Swords -RA Salvatore
2.) Homeland- RA Salvatore
3.) Transcendance- RA Salvatore
4.) Haunted- Meg Cabot
5.) The Order of the Pheonix- JK Rowling

Be honest; would you call Rowling or Salvatore SF writers? One produces children's escapism, the latter is the very definition of high-fantasy (D&D universe, isn't it?)

OK No way can I make a top 5 too many books too few slots, but I just wanted to say that if you like HG wells THE TIME MACHINE, Steven Baxter wrote a book 2 called THE TIME SHIPS... pretty awesome and a lot longer than the original...Baxter is a Hard SCIFI guy.

Back