• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best series you read.

Myron Bolitar

I'd have to go with Harlan Coben's series...just pipping the Lincoln Rhyme novels by Jeffery Deaver.

Just started Promise me last night after finishing The Cold Moon...

It seems to me that all series either slow down, turn into crap, etc. somewhere down the line. I liked the first Auel novel well enough, I enjoyed reading the first couple of Dark Tower novels, but it just goes downhill, doesn't it?

If I have to really pick a series, I'd go for Douglas Adams's trilogy in five parts.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who liked (or have read...) the earth's children series by Jean M. Auel. I love that one. :)

Also, Harry Potter is a great one, even though I think the last couple of books have not been as good as the earlier ones (or maybe I just don't like the way the story is developing...)

i am about halfway through the Avalon series by Marian Zimmer Bradley. I started with Mists, but found there were others, so went back and read Fall of Atlantis and went from there. I like some of the others better than Mists.

What about the short series of His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman? They are, in the USA, The Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. This is a brilliant series, loved every minute.

Here is a neat link with a two minute video reading by the author, introducing a certain object.

Well putting the Harry Potter series to one side for a moment ;) I'd have to say the Rama quadrology by Arthur C Clarke - a wonderful collection of books, Sci-fi obviously, but also focussing on human reactions, perceptions and interactions under strange situations. Eye opening :)

Gee so many. Most of the books I read seem always to be part of a series.
Honorable mentions go to The Dark Tower, Harry Potter, and His Dark Materials which have all been mentioned before.
But my favourites would have to be:

The Hyperion Cantos - Dan Simmons
Pure brilliance. Simmons is a genius, I just wish he'd write more!

Otherland - Tad Williams
He's the master of spinning incredibly long, beautiful stories with great characters.

Memory, Sorrow & Thorn - Tad Williams
Fantasty this time round. Better than LOTR for me.

I'm currently reading Neverness - David Zindell and I'm sure the rest of the series is gonna be awesome.

I seem to have always been attracted to series, be they standalone book featuring the same character(s) or part of a sequential series. Reading a new book in a series can be like seeing old friends again after a long absence.

I started off reading Enid Blyton, then when I was 9 or 10 I started on Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Three Investigators' and Franklin W Dixon's 'The Hardy Boys'. After that is was fantasy and SF, notably Raymond E. Feist, David Eddings, Robert Jordan and Peter F. Hamilton. Oh and Lois McMaster Bujold's sci-fi series. Now I've moved onto crime/thrillers. I like Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series, but my favourites now are Ian Rankin's Rebus novels, and Lee Child's novels about Jack Reacher.

If anyone's got any suggestions about who to turn to next, I'd be interested in hearing them!

i'll just post the same series(plural!!) of books that I post everywhere: the bartimaeus trilogy, artemis fowl, and the three musketeers trilogy by Dumas.

Back