• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best series you read.

-Carlos-

I enjoyed The Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy and am enjoying the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. What about you? What series have you enjoyed reading?

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon would have to be my favourite, although I also enjoyed the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman and the Tomorrow, When the War Began series by John Marsden. Like Aquablue, I'm also enjoying the Dark Tower series - I have read 3 of them so far.

Considering all the series I've read, it seems almost silly to say Harry Potter... but I know deep down it's true. If Stephen King's DT series had continued to display the same quality as books 1-4, that might have beat out Harry Potter, but alas.

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, Anna Pigeon-Nevada Barr, Stephanie Plum-Janet Evanovitch, and the Ballad Series by Sharon McCrumb..just don't judge this series by the first title in the set....

Kristo, I'm with you on the Harry Potter series. It seems silly, as you say, to pick something so obvious, but honestly it's brilliant and I have just loved it so far.

I'm going to have to go with the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. My very favorite, and he never lets me down.

My favorites are the Outlander series and the Stephanie Plum series. Also, when I first read The Green Mile it was released as a series - so does that count? :)

I'm still on book 5 of The Dark Tower so I can't really make a good informed decision on it just yet.

I really liked The Blackstone Chronicles though. It was originally released as serial novels so it should count. ;)

hmm...I haven't read much series....so my favourit must be Harry Potter. *need to read more series I guess, I consider to read the Dark Tower series*

As sad as it might be, I'd have to say the Narnia books! :eek: I'm a bit of a child at heart and whenever I am ill, or down I always return the to books I loved when I was a child and this would have to be mine!

I like to read fantasy and it seems like whenever I pick up a book it is in series. lol
The Star Wars series of books (but only after Return of the Jedi)
Anne McCaffrey - Dragons of Pern series (especially the Harper Hall Trilogy), Crystal Singer trilogy, and The Rowan series
Robert Aspirin - the Myth Series (hilarious!!) and the Phule series
and yes, Harry Potter. lol

Everything written by James Herriott, it's such a shame the author has passed away. His stories touched and inspire me every time I read them. To this day each time I pick up his books, I want to go back to school and become a veterinarian.

After James Herriott, I would say the Harry Potter series, even though the quality of the series has been rapidly declining.

Then it's a toss up between Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and MaryJanice Davidson's Undead series. Both are fun authors.

Would like to read more of the Robert Langdon series from Dan Brown, too bad there's only two books on him. Hopefully Brown own't do to his character what other authors have done, found a winning formula and stick to it by repeating the same events with same people but different names. So far he hadn't, knock on wood:)

The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, although the later books are inferior to the first five.

I also agree that Stephen King's Dark Tower series, despite the weak ending, is great. I like how he combines various genres into one series (romance, fantasy, horror, western...)

Even though Terry Goodkind has his fair share of detractors on this board, I love the Sword of Truth novels. His writing isn't great, that much is true, but his books are so addicting. The same could be said for Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake novels.

The Adrian Mole Diaries - Sue Townsend.

Very funny, insightful and unputdownable.

Adrian Mole and the weapons of Mass Destruction - I think sadly it will be last, though I hope not - was absolutely brilliant.

jaybe said:
The Adrian Mole Diaries - Sue Townsend.

I'll second that. Sue Townsend has a great satirical wit. I hope "... Weapons of Mass Destruction" was not the last one.

Other series I enjoyed:

The Discworld series
The Dark Tower series

spikeyli said:
Robert Langdon series from Dan Brown, too bad there's only two books on him.

Too bad? Surely that should be counted as a blessing. :D

Hopefully Brown won't do to his character what other authors have done, found a winning formula and stick to it by repeating the same events with same people but different names.

And there was me thinking his books were all:

1. A murder occurs.
2. Protagonist is implicated.
3. Protagonist meets girl with relevant knowledge.
4. They try to solve clues leading to something.
5. Someone else is also after the same thing.
6. Protagonist wins.
7. Protagonist gets girl.

Even Dan Brown fans on the Cult of Dan Brown forum admit that Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code could be the same book just with different locations and character names.

So far he hasn't, knock on wood:)
You never knocked hard enough.

Best series I ever read?

The only series I think I've ever read were by Enid Blyton when I was eight.

Stewart said:
Best series I ever read?

The only series I think I've ever read were by Enid Blyton when I was eight.

Well, if you insist on going back THAT far..I'd have to put in a plug for the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Sonia Bleekers American Indians series, and Andrew Lang's various Fairy Tale books...Oh and then there's the Childhood of Famous Americans series and the Landmark series as well..those were great for giving a kid a background in history without resorting to textbook boredom.

Back