• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best short story

Wabbit

Hi, what is the best short story that you ever read???

Mine is By Isac Asimov and it called "The Last Question." This story also has THE best ending EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

So, what's the best short story you ever read and what was it about?

Regards
SillyWabbit

Orpheus with Clay Feet - Philip K. Dick

Very, very clever story, I understand when he first released this story he released it under a pseudonym, and that makes the story even better, I can't remember much about the story except that it has to be read to be understood, as can be said of most of Dick's work. Very funny ending.

As you may tell, Dick is as far as my short story knowledge stretches. Although I will be moving onto some Asmiov now after reading the great 'I, Robot'

Hard to choose just one, but I love Saki. Either "Tobermory," where someone teaches a cat to talk, or "Shredni Vashtar," which just has to be read.

Oh, I didn't write it. And I've no idea who did. My father used to say it, repeatedly, when I was little.

Here's another he used to quote:

Fuzzy Wuzzy wuz a bear,
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.
Fuzzy Wuzzy wuzn't fuzzy,
Wuzzy?

He died ten years ago, today. Happy memories, Dad. :)

Third Man Girl

There was a novel called Fear that was released over 10 years ago by L. Ron Hubbard, but in my edition there was this little gem of a short story called Borrowed Glory.

Both heartbreaking and chilling, it remains the best short story I've read. Definitely keep an eye open for it at used book stores, etc...it's probably quite rare now but so worth tracking down.

edit: I should point out that Borrowed Glory was not included in all printings of this novel...I didn't like Fear much at all, so if you're going by my recommendation be sure to check to make sure Borrowed Glory is in there :)

I haven't read any of the 'big names', mentioned above, like Asimov and Dick. My all time favourite short story is from one of my favourite authors, Michael Marshall Smith. It's called More Tomorrow, and it's not at all that spectacular, but it has a fantastic twist in the end. The final sentence will force you to stop reading, period! You'll just sit there, staring at whatever, going over the entire story in your head.

Fantastic!

Cheers, Martin :D

Although I haven't read many short stories I have to go with The Fall of the House of Usher by EAP. I also remember from long ago the short stories from Tales of the Unexpected - they were really good.

its really hard to say but i choose "After twenty years" by O Henry
it is only four pages long
or rather four pages short

Roald Dahl's stories are fabulous. Hard to believe he writes such adult short stories and such great children's lit.

Yeah!!!

Roald Dahl's stories are wonderful. So deliciously dark, imaginative and funny! I grew up with a lot of his books when I was a kid, my parents used to buy me them :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Originally posted by SillyWabbit
What's it about? :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

its about two friends who go different ways but decide to meet twenty years later at an old joint
but life is very cruel
the story actually touched my heart

Reply to Thread

2 faves.

1. 'Are all the Giants Dead' by Mary Ashton.
A cute use of fairy tale with a few sweet lessons for the reader.

2. 'The Anti-Christs Bible' The gospel According to Arnoume.
Contains great versions and challenges to the Bible and provokes some interesting thought. Granted this ones not for everyone.

Back