• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best ultra-violent, funny, emotionally involving, tragic, cynical, intelligent...

Emo17

meaningful, and DARK book in existence.

What is it?

I just spent the last thirty minutes specifying, and then when I tried to preview my post it asked me to log in a second time, and then my post disappeared. The forum should really fix that...

Anyway, take two - this time I'll be sure to copy and paste before clicking anything.

I'm talking like, a non-stop trip full of love, intellect, violence, drama, witty dialogue, profound meaning, chaos etc., where no one word in the entire book is a waste of paper - a book that is not only packed from cover to cover with all of these themes, but from sentence to sentence as well. Maybe a book with characters, lines, and a story that all engage the reader in the literal world indepently of any metaphorical meaning, but which also speak to larger mysteries and realities in the world we live in. Maybe like A Clockwork Orange meets Lolita, with mixes of other great books in there. I'm not necessary saying that combination, but that could be an example of the first few steps on the road to what I'm looking for.
I'm talking like, for another example, a completely chaotic acid trip, full of all the themes I described, yet with metaphorical meaning for reality. I don't mean a book about a drug addict who has a very entertaining, yet random and ultimately meaningless acid trip. What I'm looking for is a "trip," in a sense, yet with intellectual meaning pertaining to the mysteries of life, as well as kind of a metaphorical or indirect commentary on society, love, violence, etc. in the today's world.
Something that even the slowest reader in the world would not put down, even if it took him or her sleepless days just to finish the book.

I really enjoy Nabokov for his wit and intellect, as well as the nonstop meaning and metaphorical insight into topics like love, the mind - the importance of inadament, material objects, and what they can represent (Transparent Things), for example, although I must admit some of the expert vocabulary does go over my head, which takes a bit away from my understanding of his novels. Same goes for Burgess regarding the vocabulary (I've only read A Clockwork Orange), though I do have some background in Slavic language, so it could have been worse for me. I don't think he's as witty as Nabokov, or that he even tries/wants to be, but I also appreciate him for his social commentary almost(/to a degree), as well as his darker, more violent novel in A Clockwork Orange. I also really enjoyed perks of being a wallflower. Despite being an "easy" read in terms of vocabulary, I still found this book quite intellectually stimulating, even if not in the same way as Nabokov's and Burgess' work. I give perks credit for kind of launching my deep thinking on humanity, love, relationships, et cetera about a year and a half ago, and I've come a long way (I think) with those thoughts towards a better understandiing of the world and people. I also enjoyed (on a more strictly entertainment oriented level) Neverwhere (I forget the author), and Shade's Children by Garth Nix especially for it's kind of cinematically written violent and dramatic sequences. Still, Shade's Children and Neverwhere did not really meet my quota for intellectual or metaphorical meaning. I could have missed it, but I at least like to think that if it's there, I would have picked up on it - OR that, if it really is there and I missed it, that would at least mean that there wasn't quite enough of it there for my tastes.

Anyway, let the voting begin for the Best ultra-violent, funny, emotionally involving, tragic, cynical, intelligent, DARK and MEANINGFUL book! It can be fantasy, or set in our "reality," as long as the reader can connect and relate to the novel, its characters, and the world they live in. (That's not to say that for one to relate to someone who gets stabbed, for instance, one would have had to be stabbed before in his or her life; I just mean that the story, whether set in a fantasy world, or in our "reality," should have some sort of at least metaphorical correlation or relationship with "reality.")

Let the voting begin!

I will not vote at this time because I've yet to read a book like I've described, though I would very much like to, which is why I'm posting this topic!

Feel free to add more than one recommendation/vote. How about up to 10 a post, if you know of that many books which qualify? Or, if you really feel the need to share more than that, then go ahead. I personally just find any kind of recommendations can get a little overwhelming when (for instance) a handful of people on an online message board decide to recommend 10 books each. I mean that's fifty to read up on already. To be honest I doubt 50 books like I've described and am looking for even exist. I'm not even sure if one does. But, feel free to share as much as you like, although I'm kinda looking for that "perfect" book, meaning like the best of the best, maybe a top 1-3. But, again, I encourage all the recommendations you can think of; I just don't see how any one person could know of more than five books like this. That being said, I don't read very much, so what do I know?

well -

LET THE VOTING AND RECOMMDATIONS BEGIN!!!!!

"ultra-violent, funny, emotionally involving, tragic, cynical, intelligent, DARK and MEANINGFUL book" ALL of the above??? Other than the examples you have already posted I will give it some thought and post later.

As for the problem with logging in a second time, make sure that you click on the "Remember Me?" box when you log in so that your session doesn't time out.

"ultra-violent, funny, emotionally involving, tragic, cynical, intelligent, DARK and MEANINGFUL book" ALL of the above??? Other than the examples you have already posted I will give it some thought and post later.

As for the problem with logging in a second time, make sure that you click on the "Remember Me?" box when you log in so that your session doesn't time out.

I knew it was a lot to ask... :(
But yes, ALL of the above, if possible. I wouldn't even say the books I mentioned really qualify, but, I definitely appreciate you taking the time to reflect on this and hopefully come up with something. That goes for anyone who has the time :)

Thanks a lot
I'm looking forward to your ideas

Trainspotting is a book??

I would recommend McCullough's webmage, but only because I"m reading the sequel right now and it's amazing.

That's quite a bit of attributes to fit into one book, I think you'd do well to look into the manic- depressive section of psychology books. I actually remember reading a book titled Electroboy while in high school and I believe it fit many of those catagories if not all of them. And no doubt it was an intense read, especially later when I ended up doing a book report on it. You should have seen the faces of other studens when I was describing the coke- induced, homoerotic orgies. :eek:

Trainspotting is a book??

I can't believe you said that.:D :D :D Ever heard of Irvine Welsh?

I'll let you into a secret - most films started out as books!:rolleyes:
I'll tell you another secret - most books are much better than the film.:D

Yup, the film is great. But the book is much greater.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to you all for giving me suggestions, and I welcome any more that you or anyone can think of.
Has anyone read Choke by Chuck...P...long hard to spell last name... guy who wrote fight club... alright ill just go for... paluchaok.... ahem...

Anyway, someone suggested that one to me. As far Trainspotting, I talked to someone (with a much better vocabulary than mine) who said even she had a miserable time trying to read it because of all the European slang (she and I live in America).

Anything more?

Thanks again. your help is very much appreciated.

Palahniuk is probably a very good idea. Make sure to read the short story "Guts" as well.

Another name that strikes me is Ryu Murakami. Try "In The Miso Soup."

+1 on the Chuck Palahniuk and "Guts" recommendation. Do a Google search for "Chuck Palahniuk Guts" and click the seizureandy link. Disturbing is the only way to describe that story.

Chuck Palahniuk writes some crazy stuff. I've read everything except Haunted and Rant. Frankly after reading "Guts", I am afraid to read Haunted.

+1 on the Chuck Palahniuk and "Guts" recommendation. Do a Google search for "Chuck Palahniuk Guts" and click the seizureandy link. Disturbing is the only way to describe that story.
I just followed that link - bull's eye. To coin a phrase, I nearly bust a gut reading it.

Emo17, if you're interested in reading more Chuck Palahniuk books then I recommend Survivor. It is probably the most satisfying novel Palahniuk has ever written. On the opposite end of the spectrum, stay far away from Rant . . .

Try Frank Miller's Sin City. It's everything there except probably 'Meaningful'. It is, however, beautiful.

ds

Try Frank Miller's Sin City. It's everything there except probably 'Meaningful'. It is, however, beautiful.

ds

I'm with you on the "not meaningful" - the ultra-violence is imaginative, but entirely gratuitous. It's certainly not funny, if anything, it seems to take itself way too seriously.
Dark & disturbing, yes. Frank Miller has awesome talent. I would not go so far as to call it "beautiful". I found it rather off-putting, all this talent being brought to bear on something so completeley empty.

I just followed that link - bull's eye. To coin a phrase, I nearly bust a gut reading it.

Reading and finishing that story were probably the two biggest mistakes of my life thus far. I found myself just wanting to finish it as fast as possible, get the painful experience over with, et cetera. If there was any meaning buried beneath all the shock value aside from our society sucks at raising kids and 'I wish it was more kosher to jack off in puclic,' I definitely don't think it's worth rereading it to find that meaning. I'm not overly squeamish or anything; in fact, a lot of people find the stuff I write overly dark and high on shock value. I mean, im an 18 year old guy, so im not an old fashioned old lady or something, but... that story was just disgusting.

and, beyond content, the grammar, though Im sure intentionally so, was still very flawed. the grammar i can handle but the story... i dont know haha... does all his stuff make you want to throw up like that?

Thanks anyway lol

Reading and finishing that story were probably the two biggest mistakes of my life thus far. I found myself just wanting to finish it as fast as possible, get the painful experience over with, et cetera. If there was any meaning buried beneath all the shock value aside from our society sucks at raising kids and 'I wish it was more kosher to jack off in puclic,' I definitely don't think it's worth rereading it to find that meaning. I'm not overly squeamish or anything; in fact, a lot of people find the stuff I write overly dark and high on shock value. I mean, im an 18 year old guy, so im not an old fashioned old lady or something, but... that story was just disgusting.

and, beyond content, the grammar, though Im sure intentionally so, was still very flawed. the grammar i can handle but the story... i dont know haha... does all his stuff make you want to throw up like that?

Thanks anyway lol

Well, that short story came from Haunted so in the context of that it makes sense.

No, the rest of his stuff isn't that extreme. You've never read Fight Club?

Back