• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best & Worst

Sense & Sensibility and Emma are both odd movies in the adaptation category. I loved Sense & Sensibility the movie (perhaps more than the book), but some plot lines of the movie were not the same as the book, so it's adaptation was somewhat "inaccurate" (for lack of better word). Emma was a wonderful book, but the movie was poor although it's plot kept right with the book.

How's this for one? The Princess Bride. Movie=wonderful Book=terrible! And the book was written AFTER the movie!!!

i didnt read Langoliers but i saw the movie. i didnt realize it was a book until after i saw it. i thought the movie was a joke. seriously, i thought it was like some campy B movie

Jenem said:
Sense & Sensibility and Emma are both odd movies in the adaptation category. I loved Sense & Sensibility the movie (perhaps more than the book), but some plot lines of the movie were not the same as the book, so it's adaptation was somewhat "inaccurate" (for lack of better word). Emma was a wonderful book, but the movie was poor although it's plot kept right with the book.

How's this for one? The Princess Bride. Movie=wonderful Book=terrible! And the book was written AFTER the movie!!!

For most adaptations you're going to get inaccuracies. Its impossible to completely translate a book to film. Emma was poor because of the characterization by the actors/actresses, I felt. And I noted Sense and Sensibility was enjoyable...not necessarily the best, but not so far off base as to not be enjoyable. I prefer the book, however.

And its not unusual for books written after the movies to suck...just read Star Wars, its awful. I read it back in 3rd grade and already knew then that the book was terrible.

Nicola said:
That would be THE LANGOLIERS ... :D

Yeah thats the one!! Man that was a terrible film ... in fact, why the hell did i watch it!! :eek: Especially as it was on at 2 in the morning!! :D

Phil

Re Stephen King: The Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, IT, Carrie and Firestarter were all very good in my opinion. I bet The Green Mile was aswell, but I couldn't bring myself to watch it as it's too upsetting (read The Green Mile once, it was excellent, but I don't think I will ever read it again).

A lot of other King novels-to-films are absolute pants. I particularly hate Kubrick's The Shining. :mad:

I particularly hate Kubrick's The Shining.
'Scuse me?!

Don't tell me you prefer the miniseries done by King himself, because that stank!

Kubrick did a massive job with The Shining!

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Haven't been able to sit through 2001, though (which also happens to be an adaptation).

I actually liked the book for The Princess Bride. A different feel from the movie, though.

I think Emma's awfulness can't be blamed on the actors entirely, though the casting was bad. The script left much to be desired, too.

Only tried once, and was extremely tired at that point. Couldn't keep my eyes oped ... so I didn't.

Back