• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Blogging

I ran one on odd news stories for a couple of years. Unfortunately, I had to give it up; now that I have hardly any free time. :(

magemanda said:
and I wondered whether anyone else has tried it out...

I tried once, as a way of recording a thought process as I worked through creating a game, but got bored of it almost immediately although I had no intention of making it public during the actual blogging sequence.

I don't tend to like blogs - are you surprised? - because they tend to be rubbish and filled with angsty-teenagers who think the world is at an end because of a lack of money this weekend or people who think they have a unique voice and/or philosophy who don't and just produce archives of drivel. Others seem to think putting shoddy poetry is a good outlet -- a bookshelf of poetry in a bookshop is a good outlet.

If you want to blog then I think you need to have an angle for it and not just write down whatever crap is in your head on a specific day. Look, for example, at the blog here where someone takes the latest news from the Middle East and blogs their own take on the issues involved. That's an interesting blog and will encourage people to come back and find out more about the person who writes it and he will tell about himself via his writing and it is this which makes his blog interesting. So many, however, seem obsessed with who people visited that day and what they had for their breakfast on Sunday which is just dull, uninspiring, and a brief distraction.

Abulafia said:
Others seem to think putting shoddy poetry is a good outlet -- a bookshelf of poetry in a bookshop is a good outlet.

I disagree. Keep the crap poems in the blogs. Stop publishing crap! Just think, if Dan Brown had a blog, we'd have been saved so much anguish...

Sorry my mistake, I mis-read :eek: Thought you said a bookshelf of shoddy poetry.

I need my advent chocolate :mad:

Yup, started blogging about 6 months ago, and I love it. Not that my writing is acually any good, but I'm having fun, and that's what counts, right?

link

Cheers

I've recently gotten myself a new place in blogspot, which I think is the next best thing to hosting a blog software on your own web host. It's my latest attempt at blogging, again. :)

I intend to use the space to write stories when I have the time. However I think I'd spend more time in TBF than I'd spend blogging.

Magemanda, I like your first couple of postings. I have started similarly on my first blog many moons ago, but I found that I quickly exhaused things to say. :)

ds

Abulafia said:
If you want to blog then I think you need to have an angle for it and not just write down whatever crap is in your head on a specific day.
I don't really agree, I see a blog as a place where you write whats on your mind. Have to agree that it is mostly crap, especially when it comes from my mind. I just think that reading other peoples thoughts can be interesting.

Yep, I have a blog. Yep, it's mostly crap, but it's an outlet, and I do try not to post just for the sake of posting.

hay82 said:
I just think that reading other peoples thoughts can be interesting.

When they are focusing their thoughts on something, weighing up the facts, and drawing conclusions they can be very interesting. When somebody is talking about their friend visiting for a weekend or how they had mince for breakfast then the blog is utter crap.

Martin said:
You don't have to read a single blog, you know.

You can't just say I'll find a good blog and expect to happen across one as finding a good one is a process of elimination meaning that a trawl through crap is inevitable.

Bad blogs are quite easily recognisable - most of the times you won't have to battle your way through 4 pages of shit before you come to the conclusion that it is just that; shit.

Cheers

Abulafia said:
When they are focusing their thoughts on something, weighing up the facts, and drawing conclusions they can be very interesting. When somebody is talking about their friend visiting for a weekend or how they had mince for breakfast then the blog is utter crap.
Depends on how they tell it..

Back