• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bohumil Hrabal

ja9

I finished Bohumil Hrabal's "Too Loud a Solitude" a week or so ago, and I'm just now feeling ready to talk about it. It's a short book, easy to read in an afternoon. I don't think I've ever come across anything quite like it. Beautiful prose, even in translation (I don't read Czechoslovakian!). It's elegant and profoundly disturbing - the story of a man who is in love with books and runs a sort of giant trash compactor for a living. The end is one of the more bizarre things I've ever read. Has anyone read him? I don't think he's well known at all in the U.S., maybe in Europe??

Does anyone know who this is? I'm still gasping for air!

Hrabal is one of my favourite writers. He's not particulally well known in the West, which is a great shame, although he's a favourite of the English writer Julian Barnes who I've heard mentioning him in interviews.

Is this the first of his books that you've read? Do you want/need pointing at others he's written?

I've read Too Loud a Solitude - er, that's the one with the turd on the ski, right...? - but can't remember an awful lot about it. I also have, or had, I Served the King of England (with an intro by Julian Barnes) and The Little Town Where Time Stood Still, but can't remember if I've read them or not. :eek: Was Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age by him too? One long sentence, right? Now I've definitely read that one. Can't remember anything about it either. Bet you're glad I joined in this discussion now...

I'd welcome recommendations about some of his other books. What were your favorites?

I'm sorry that this author is not well known here, although I can see that he's not for everyone. Definitely not in the mass-market arena! I'm going to the library this afternoon and will be checking to see what else they may have of his.

I don't know much about him and haven't done any checking yet, but I would guess that he had a tough life. The book is older, so I wonder if he's even alive now.

ja9 said:
I'd welcome recommendations about some of his other books. What were your favorites?
Unfortunately there are very few of his books available in English, perhaps due to them being written in a kind of colloquial Czech that he made his own. Apparently they're a bugger to translate.
Anyway, they're all IMO worth checking out.
Dancing Lessons for the Advanced in Age is the 100+ page, one sentence novella that shade mentioned. It's basically a monologue from an old man who’s had rather too much to drink and is trying to impress some young girls by telling them a much embellished version of his life story.
The Little Town Were Time Stood Still which actually comprises two books Cutting it Short and the title story. Both feature Hrabal’s most famous character ‘Uncle Pepin’.
I Served The King Of England which is his most popular book, and probably his most accomplished.
and
Closely Observed Trains which is his most famous work and was made into an equally wonderful film.

ja9 said:
I don't know much about him and haven't done any checking yet, but I would guess that he had a tough life. The book is older, so I wonder if he's even alive now.
The following sites should give you some info on Hrabal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohumil_Hrabal
http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/hrabal.htm
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/48346

Thank you for the great suggestions. I had no idea any of his work had been made into a film, so now I have a movie to rent as well!

For now I'm reading "The Kite Runner", because I thought I'd try something lighter after the emotional onslaught of "Too Loud A Solitude". I'm about half way through, and beginning to suspect that this was not exactly a good choice if I wanted something less intense, but OH WELL! The perils of being a reader...

Thank you for the great suggestions. I had no idea any of his work had been made into a film, so now I have a movie to rent as well!

For now I'm reading "The Kite Runner", because I thought I'd try something lighter after the emotional onslaught of "Too Loud A Solitude". I'm about half way through, and beginning to suspect that this was not exactly a good choice if I wanted something less intense, but OH WELL! The perils of being a reader...

ja9 said:
Several of his stories have been filmed, however "Closely Observed/Watched Trains" is the famous one. You'll see from the links that they're finally getting round to filming "I Served the King of England"; something I'm really looking forward to seeing.

ja9 said:
I thought I'd try something lighter after the emotional onslaught of "Too Loud A Solitude"
Most of his work is actually quite funny. More Hasek than Kundera, if you like.

I had a Germain girl-fried who was pestering me with Hrabal,i was supicious because she was really into arty-farty stuff.
Until i read "Too Loud A Solitude" and "vends maison ou je ne veux plus virvre" approximate translation been"sell house where can't live any more" have you heard it,under a defferent title?
I loved it ,dark and funny at the same time, i vaguely remenber the dancing and the rubans episode...the skiing one too....hilarious
i Shall try to find the others

"vends maison ou je ne veux plus virvre" approximate translation been"sell house where can't live any more" have you heard it,under a defferent title?
There's little Hrabal available in English. Perhaps it's The Little Town Where Time Stood Still.

Cutting it Short.

Short is indeed the key word here; a 120-page novel in 12 short chapters, told from the POV of a woman in a small Czech village in the first half of the 20th century as the modern world starts coming closer. There's a great deal of almost slapstickish bizarre humour in this, with kooky characters and told in a beautifully descriptive language. You'd almost be forgiven for thinking it's a pure piece of nostalgia about how everything was better and simpler back in the good old days.

But then there's the knowledge that this was a piece of forbidden literature back in the 70s, and the longer we get into the novel, the more a creepy undertone starts appearing as things start getting... shorter. Skirts, hair, tails, lives. Everything that gets cut out makes life poorer, duller, darker, sicker. Considering the circumstances it was written under, the subtext is subtle but insidious: the more of the little unnecessary, fun bits of life you cut off, the less humorous it gets. And then the jokes, and the stories, stop. And all that remains is authority and punishment.

4/5.

On reading Hrabal's ‘Too Loud A Solitude’; a short imagined dialogue.

- What the hell are we supposed to do about Haňt'a?

- What do you mean?

- I mean that the old coot has completely misunderstood his job. How hard can it be? He’s supposed to sit in his cellar, have all the literature that we deem unnecessary or untimely delivered to him, put it in his hydraulic press and compress it so it can be recycled to print new books.

- And? Are you saying he doesn’t do that?

- Well sure, he does, at least for the most part, but... he reads them first! What’s the point of destroying dangerous or outdated books if someone still reads them? He sits there in his cellar, compressing the world’s literature into little bite-size bricks that almost give him indigestion, but he keeps reading them with a complete lack of respect for proper control by authorities or experts. And he even seems to have the gall to hint that we treat people the same way he treats the mice that nest in his piles of books.

- The nerve of some people. We just want what’s best for everyone. What does he do to the mice?

- Throws them in the press along with the books. Squish.

- Damn. Oh, remind me again: what are we supposed to do with the books we print on the recycled paper?

- Recycle them and print new ones, of course. But more efficiently. We need books that pass through the system easier. The goal must be a literature that’s as smooth and free of fibers as possible, the sort of literature that we could just as easily drive directly from the printer’s to the recycling plant since it doesn’t really make any difference whether or not someone reads it.

- So is that what happens in Too Loud A Solitude?

- That’s a strange way of putting it. “Happens.” A book is just a stack of papers and ink, it doesn’t “happen.” The problem is that the wrong books might give people the idea that they can make things happen.

- Are you saying Haňt'a is dangerous?

- Oh no, not him personally, he’s much too old and has his head too full of old philosophers for that. But it’s a matter of principle: readers are untrustworthy bastards. That cellar Haňt'a works in is just supposed to be a place of work, a dusty, noisy, industrial building, and instead it becomes sort of a metaphor for all the knowledge we’d rather people didn’t have, all the thoughts we’re trying to stop them from thinking...

- Careful. You’re getting pretentious.

- I know. Sorry. I should probably read a murder mystery or something. Instead I read Too Loud A Solitude, and I can’t get rid of it. It’s somewhere down there in my cellar, and it won’t go away.

- Right. So... let’s just toss it in the hydraulic press. Problem solved.

- We can’t.

- What do you mean we can’t? It’s only about 100 pages.

- Exactly. It’s already so compact, you can’t really compress it any more. And I think it might be too great to fit in the press anyway.

- Can’t we burn it?

- Manuscripts don’t burn.

- I'm sorry, what did you say?

- Oh, um... nothing. Let’s just have Haňt'a retire, OK?

I finished I Served the King of England this weekend. I'd like to give it the review it deserves, but it was baking hot and I didn't make any notes, so...

Suffice to say that while it's not quite the bulls-eye that Too Loud A Solitude is, it still kept me absolutely riveted. Like with the other Hrabals I've read, it's a microperspective of something much larger, telling the story of life in Czechoslovakia from the 1930s to the communist era from the horizon of a small and rather clueless restaurant worker; he starts as a bus boy and works his way up to manager before everything comes crashing down, and yes, the double meaning of "serve" is very deliberate.

Hrabal's comedy is anything but refined, at least on the surface; the first half is almost slapstick as he gleefully sends up the pre-war society that is still trying to pretend the old days of the Empire are still alive and well while still marvelling at new technology, and our narrator is young and selfish and learns to serve others by paying close attention to what they want and who they are; one look and he can tell exactly what they need. Then the war comes, in the middle of a sentence as if it doesn't have anything to do with him at first, and the comedy becomes increasingly dark; being a selfish sort, he picks the wrong side, falls in love with a German girl, has a tailormade Aryan baby (who turns out to be an imbecile) and sooner or later can't help but turn that sharpened sense of character perception towards himself.

I Served The King Of England ends up both as sharp social criticism (it was banned in Czechoslovakia) and as a journey of self-discovery to rival (at least my memory of) Hesse's Siddharta. Except a lot funnier.
And I said to myself that during the day I would look for the road to the village, but in the evening I would write, looking for the road back, and then walk back along it and shovel away the snow that had covered my past, and so try, by writing, to ask myself about myself.
He meanders once or twice, as any fictional autobiography will, but always with precision. I'm torn between a :star4: and a :star5:... pick one.

Harlequin's Millions (Harlekýnovy milióny, 1981)

Part III of Hrabal's autobiography/biography of his mother, that started with Cutting It Short (I've yet to find Part II in translation) is more of the same: at times hilarious in the way it trips, slapstick-like over itself to find the time to tell all the stories it wants to tell, and at times filled with grief for that which has gone and will never come again.

She is old now, and together with Francin and his senile brother Pepin they've checked into a retirement home; it used to be a castle belonging to a nobleman, but of course this is the CSSR and there are no noblemen anymore. (They'd wanted to spend their autumn years travelling the world and even saved up the money for it, but of course they don't get to do that now.) With Hrabal's amazing gift for imagery, the old castle becomes both a mirror of the big world outside (the old people guard the gates themselves, unable to recognize friend from foe as long as they're on duty) and the setting for the stories that the three oldest inhabitants of the home tell to her: everyone that lived in the little town down there, everything they did, stories going back 50, 100, 200, 400 years. And in Hrabal's prose, all of these times and themes mingle and mirror each other. For instance, there's a breathtaking scene in which the narrator describes dinner time at the home, with 400 decrepit and toothless old people reflecting a huge painting of Alexander the Great defeating the Persians, that the old Count had put on the ceiling of the dining room. Knives clash against plates as the new world sweeps away the old, the huge but outdated Persian army being bested by the streamlined and modernised Greeks, while outside the walls of the castle (Masque of the Red Death, anyone?) new thoughts and styles are not only replacing the old ones but even, as is often the case, even the memories of the old ones.

The teeth she was tricked into replacing with false teeth she couldn't wear; the gravestones that the caterpillars like giant dentists rip up at the local cemetary to turn it into a park, carting away all the old stones - the only witnesses remaining that these people ever existed. The stories that the three oldest men tell her of times gone by that often get told twice - always a little fancier the second time around; this is both an exercise in and an indictment of nostalgia. The only way to keep memories alive is to keep telling stories of them, but the stories tend to get idealised over time and turn into fiction. A lot of times, things were better in the old days because we tell ourselves they were.
The shops that used to have first and last names had transformed into Meat and the department store Unity, Restaurant and Bread and pastries, Café and Motors. I smiled and was happy that I'd gotten to see with my own eyes how times had changed, how almost all of the old people had passed away and been replaced by young women and young men, everything was different from before.
And of course, the subtitle to the whole book is "A Fairytale." Because we cannot really trust anything we remember; man (and, I suppose in this case, woman) likes to mythologise, likes to fill in the blanks and make sense of what we remember, improve on it.

In every room in the retirement home, where the old people live bunched together, 8 to a bedroom, there's a loudspeaker playing the Harlequinade (that's the book's title); that sentimental ballet music you hear over a thousand silent movies, as if to keep the old people stuck in their nostalgia and not look at the world around them. The narrator and her three companions find a way out by telling stories of what they've seen: keeping themselves alive by keeping the past alive, by not forgetting the good and the bad, not buying into the mandatory conformity. Not all of the memories are happy, not all of them are even all that fascinating; but hey, that's Life - and in the hands of Hrabal, even the dullest stories take on all five senses, right up until the ending knocks us all flat on our backs.

:star5: (maybe :star4:, but that ending... wow.)

Closely Observed Trains (Ostře sledované vlaky, 1965)

It's short and to the point, boiling down to a big bang finale that might be straight out of an action movie within just over 100 pages, covering some very heavy subjects (war, resistance, holocaust) in between... and yet it manages to lull you into a false sense of security with its burlesque charm. Like all of Hrabal's heroes, the young train station attendant Miloš Hrma comes across as a pretty simple guy - both in the sense of not having any huge aspirations and in the sense of not being the sharpest tool in the shed - and the people he works with are a collection of originals who add to the at times almost obscene slapstick humour. The dispatcher is a casanova, the telegraphist a slut, the stationmaster doesn't care about anything but his pigeons, and Miloš is just trying to work up the courage to lose his virginity to the cute conductor on one of the trains.

It just happens to be winter 1945 and the Germans are all but running in orderly panic from the Eastern front, and many of them have to pass through the little Czech town where Miloš and his colleagues are required to keep the trains running on time. And the Czech resistance is starting to see the light in the tunnel, but you know what they say...

...It's just a freight train coming your way.

:star4:

Adam Thirlwell on the brand-spanking-new English edition of IServed The King Of England: Adam Thirlwell salutes Bohumil Hrabal | Books | The Guardian

Also, I watched Jiri Menzel's adaptation of I Served The King Of England yesterday. Not a bad film at all, it stays (for the most part) very faithful to the book and manages to capture both Hrabal's bawdy humour - and it is very funny - and his more bitter observations. Some really good performances as well. Unfortunately, Menzel is a little too fond of voice-overs, and while the cinematography is simply beautiful, that becomes a bit of a problem when Menzel starts fetishizing naked women as much as his main character does. I'm not entirely sure he tied together the actions of young Dite and the philosophies of old Dite as well as he might have, either. But hey, it works, and it's worth a watch, even if it's not nearly as good as the book. :star3:

I really, really need to read ISTKOE...I fell in love with Hrabal after Closely Watched Trains, Too Loud a Solitude, and his Total Fears...Letters to Dubinka

Thirwell has intereting things to say about Hrabal. Hanta is one of my favorite characters in 20th century fiction...

---

Back