• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

BONJOUR>>>

Don't delude yourself, it's not that nice. Summer is also mosquito season. Some of those bloodsuckers get so big that I swear a dozen together could carry off a small child!

maybe u get lucky and they carry off the kids so u wont have to cook for them anymore. just become a lady [mama?] of leisure
fatten them up with some gumbo then smear them with whatever attarcts mozzy and leave them on ya porch

Not a bad idea, and easy, too. Simply being warm-blooded attracts mosquitoes... but I've grown a little attatched to my children.....and my husband might have a problem with that, he's kinda fond of the kids, too.

Welcome, oldboy!

Yum, canjunmama! That catfish sounds good (and so does the gumbo!) I'm a red beans & rice kind of girl (or dirty rice), rather than white beans, but LOVE field peas and snaps on the side! They just recently hauled out a big ole 50 pounder kittycat from our local lake, but right now, it's deer season here in the Texas mountains, so venison steaks on the smoker for me will do just fine for supper! :D

Just picked up my license and hope to find a likely spot soon to fill the freezer for winter!

What are your favorite books to read while watching football (which we call soccer)?

Cathy
Purveyor of all things penguinish

lolol @ the soccer cc>>>
sadly i didnt get to watch it cos i havent got sky tv. listening on the radio is better than nada. couldve gone pub but i been drinking too much this weekend. razzzz

i just read davinci code then started this will self book 'great apes'.
u heard of that guy? hes an oxbridge type proper smug sanctimonious
i dun like him but thought id check his book - the premise looked interesting plaent of the apes esque
messing with your persepctive

but i couldnt get into it - he blatantly likes the sound of his own voice and long words for the sake of it
so im not gonna bother. which is rare

i might start this ali biog book i got by david reminck. dont like biogs really but youve gotta love ali. read it before tho. just seen some docu about jack dempsey and tyson on bbc2 so im feeling inspired

this post getting loooong - im getting fedup with it

Oh, Cathy, I loooooove deer! And I get my catfish from an old friend who catches them in the bayou, so none of that farm raised tasteless stuff for me.

Oldboy! I just saw that Man U beat Arsenal. Was it a good game or a spanking for Arsenal?

Big%20Catfish.jpg

do you tend to eat a whole one to yaself momma?

i gotta go watch the highlights on bbc now>>49 games unbeaten tho
it couldnt last

That is NOT a fake photo, BTW, folks! That big kittycat is still alive and now residing at Sea World in Houston, TX! It was a world record 138 pounds! There was an article about it in last month's Texas Monthly magazine.

I liked the Da Vinci Code quite a bit, oldboy. He's got several more books out, and I'm probably going to switch to Deception Point, since I've given up on wrestling some plotline out of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. But I'm sure that the local library will be happy to get an extra copy, since it's so popular.

I like elk better than deer, but haven't been elk hunting in years. I did quite a bit when we lived in the Colorado mountains, but that was a few years ago. Hmm, maybe my hubby's brother will get one this year... :D

Cathy

Cathy C said:
I liked the Da Vinci Code quite a bit, oldboy.

i thought it was full of uninteresting facts, terrible dialogue and a real let down

seeing a catfish on the other hand was a wkd surprise
some u win some u lose

Nah, I thought it was nice escapist entertainment. I didn't think of it as anything but fiction, so I didn't get tied up in the "sheer majesty of it all" that some did (including the critics.) Normally, I don't pick up a single book that the critics like, because I'll probably hate it -- for all the reasons they loved it. I like a good 'beach read' plot, but don't care much about deep and rich characters. Oddly enough, I tend to WRITE rich characters, or so the reviewers say. Hmm. Very strange indeed. Is there something Freudian there, do you suppose?? :p

Yeah, the dialogue could have been better, I suppose, in DVC, but that's a failing of a lot of books. Many writers who can write brilliant descriptions aren't very skilled at writing words to come out of a character's mouth that sound like real talking. The few who do both well are legitimately revered. :)

Cathy

oldboy said:
hello all>>howzit?
im a 25 yr old ex eng lit student who has finally managed to get over all the 'classic' literature they made me read [fast] and got back to where i was before gcse's kicked in - reading for pleasure. and it's a goodlook.

happy to be back in the habit..gotta decide what to try next>>>davide remnicks book about ali 'king of the world', faulks 'charlotte gray' having thought birdsong was the best book ive read since i was about 15. or schindlers ark. hmmm

ALSO - i only read fiction but dont wanna get into a dry [not busy] section of the forum
which is the 1 to post in??

ciao4nooooow

Bonjour! hehe. you seem to be a funny guy.

Welcom, oldboy.

oldboy said:
hello all>>howzit?
im a 25 yr old ex eng lit student who has finally managed to get over all the 'classic' literature they made me read [fast] and got back to where i was before gcse's kicked in - reading for pleasure. and it's a goodlook.

This all seems strangely familiar...Welcome, oldboy!

I was particularly fond of getting a little ol' 'YORK STUDY NOTES' for any book I found too dull, or had too little time for as a result of too much partying/surfing/sleeping...the chapter summaries helped me no end! Where did you study? I'm a UWS fellow, don't you know...

Cathy C said:
Is there something Freudian there, do you suppose?? :p
no - i think it points to the fact you consider your charcterisation superior ;)

Cathy C said:
Many writers who can write brilliant descriptions aren't very skilled at writing words to come out of a character's mouth that sound like real talking. The few who do both well are legitimately revered. :)

Cathy
i think i remembr zadie smith came with some excellent dialogue lyrics in white teeth recently. maybe more authors should hook up with screenwriters who purely speech???

@ oobelow>>im sure york notes went b4 i started uni. various keen girls' notes were a much more useful resource by then tzzzz :p

i dont know what uws stands for soz
i went Newcastle Uni up in the northeast. it weas bloody cold but the locals didnt seem to notice

cajunmama said:
IGumbo is a very Cajun thing. Many yankees (read- non-cajun) have tried and failed miserably to mass market the dish in restaraunts around the country. Generally it is a hearty soup-like dish served with steamed rice and potato salad. There are as many variations as there are cooks. My speciality is chicken and sausage gumbo. And I prefer my catfish fried with white beans and rice on the side! And that, oldboy, is about as American Deep South as you can get!

I had to go get Red Beans and Rice last night for dinner, and it's all your fault! :eek: :)

oldboy said:
@ oobelow>>im sure york notes went b4 i started uni. various keen girls' notes were a much more useful resource by then tzzzz :p

i dont know what uws stands for soz
i went Newcastle Uni up in the northeast. it weas bloody cold but the locals didnt seem to notice

'York Notes' are a series of books AND I'm the same age as you, so I'm sure they were around!

UWS = University of Wales, Swansea - I'm no Welsh though...

What do you do now?

Back