• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Lights

SusiePie

Does anyone know of a good brand of book light I could try? I have used two different ones (sorry, don't really remember the brand names), but they either burn out quickly or don't shed enough light on the subject (pun intended). ;)

Oh, what a timely thread! I've been hunting for a good small book light. Hubby usually goes to sleep before I do and I think the reading lamp that we have clamped to the headboard between us is too much light and disturbs his sleep. I am going to try looking in a craft store or catalog. Needleworkers use small lights to shed more light on their work and they like them pretty bright!

Ohh I am so thrilled to see this thread also. I have been thinking about getting a book light and have also been looking at a few sites for them but can't really find anything that would work well with paperbacks. I read paperbacks more than hardback books as they are more convenient for me to haul around in my purse or whatever.
My husband also don't really like me to read in bed cuz the light I use is bothersome for him. So I thought maybe a book light might not be so bright and bothersome for him.
Was wondering if anyone has ever used any of these kind? Book lights

I have an Itty Bitty Booklight made specifically for paperbacks. The batteries live in a separate part connected to the light with a thin cord. The cord is very long, so it is easy to store the battery pack under a nightstand or under the seat of the car while reading. I've been very happy with this product. It sheds a lot of light and the batteries and bulbs last for quite a while. It's also very easy to get new bulbs.

Ohhh thanks so much for that. I really like the looks of that! Does it work well with the smaller paperbacks?

mom2kngr said:
Ohhh thanks so much for that. I really like the looks of that! Does it work well with the smaller paperbacks?

By "smaller" I assume you mean Mass Market. Yes, it works fine with them. In fact, I think this is intended for Mass Market books with some weight behind them. I've used it with hardcover and trade as well, and it works just fine.

SFG75 said:
Does Wal-Mart sell anything like these?

I doubt it, WalMart's book department consists of Bibles, Romance Novels, Tom Clancy and the occasional best seller. I'd be shocked to see quality book lights there. Besides, a nice progressive guy like yourself should stay out of Walmart!

It may look dorky, but I find head-mountable light fixtures to be the best when it comes to reading in the dark. There are a few out there made for cablers that offer red, light blue, and white light options. Red is great when reading horror late at night.

Examples...

Isabell said:
I have the Light Wedge and I swear by it. I've tried others and I will never again buy anything but the Wedge.

I came VERY close to getting one of those. They look really cool. The only reason I picked the one I did was weight. The light wedge weighs more than half a pound, which I thought was too heavy for me.

Isabell said:
I have the Light Wedge and I swear by it. I've tried others and I will never again buy anything but the Wedge.

Are these things any good for paperbacks?

mehastings said:
I came VERY close to getting one of those. They look really cool. The only reason I picked the one I did was weight. The light wedge weighs more than half a pound, which I thought was too heavy for me.

Oh but if you get one, you'll love it. I bought one for a my friend for her birthday and she loves it too. She says because of the light wedge she's reading more.

Isabell said:
Oh but if you get one, you'll love it. I bought one for a my friend for her birthday and she loves it too. She says because of the light wedge she's reading more.

I'm super happy with the one I have now. If it ever breaks I'll look at the light wedge again, but I don't know if I'd be able to resist another one like my current one (I love it that much). Besides, ask my friends and family, the last thing I need is something to make me read more...

Now we are in business!!

Just discovered that Wal-Mart does have reading lights!. :eek: The wife bought me one and it requires four AA batteries. It gives off a weird-blue colored halogen like light, but it works wonderfully. Since the wife put the other car on it's side in a recent accident, we're resorting to using our older car(which doesn't have a reading light, let alone a dome light) and this thing has more than done the job.:cool: Check there if you want a good reading light.

SFG75 said:
Just discovered that Wal-Mart does have reading lights!. :eek: The wife bought me one and it requires four AA batteries. It gives off a weird-blue colored halogen like light, but it works wonderfully. Since the wife put the other car on it's side in a recent accident, we're resorting to using our older car(which doesn't have a reading light, let alone a dome light) and this thing has more than done the job.:cool: Check there if you want a good reading light.
I picked one up there the other day. It is for me for Christmas, so I have to wait until then to use it. :eek:

cajunmama said:
I picked one up there the other day. It is for me for Christmas, so I have to wait until then to use it. :eek:

It's cheaper than a few of them, but you'll be more than happy with it. I've used it twice now and I just can't tell you how nice it is. :cool:

Back