• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book of the Month

Should we keep Book of the Month?

• Yes, Keep Book of the Month

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No, Get Rid!

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Darren

This area gets some interest but not loads.

Should it stay or should we scrap the idea of having a group read each month?

I never participate, but that's is purely due to my laziness, and to me wanting to read what I want to read, and not what is appointed to read.

That said, it does get some attention and garner some discussion. That, in itself, is enough to let it exist.

It's not bothering anyone, is it?

Cheers

I agree with Martin. I don't see how its hurting anything, and it does get some interest. I just prefer to read what I want to read..especially with such limited time.

I agree, even if participation is hit or miss there's still enough discussion to make it worthwhile.

Martin said:
I never participate, but that's is purely due to my laziness, and to me wanting to read what I want to read, and not what is appointed to read.
Same here, though I agree with the others in that it does garner some interest so wouldn't delete it.

Again, same for me. I tend to read what I feel like reading at any given moment. This may change from any given second!

Also agree that some people seem to enjoy it and it does get conversations going so I think it would be best left.

Just get rid of the Book of the Month forum and put a sticky at the top of the General Book Discussion forum. This can be named November 2004: Recommended Titles or something and can then be unstuck at the end of the month to be replaced by December 2004: Recommended Titles.

In these sticky threads you can recommend three different titles. Maybe one classic, one modern mainstream or genre novel, and a non-fiction book. With these you can include a linked picture of the book to different amazon stores (UK, US, Germany) so that, should somebody decide to buy them, you'll receive the commission - much easier than having the affiliation links tucked away in the depths of the forum.

And, in the Admin Control Panel you can edit the HTML of one of the forum templates to include a link inviting users to look at this month's recommended titles.

My participation is hit-or-miss, depending on what I think of the book, of course. But I like the idea of being able to discuss a book with someone else currently reading it. What usually happens instead is that I read a book I am excited about and can only find people who read it long ago and barely remember it, or *I* am the other person who can barely remember a book someone else wants to discuss. I'd say to keep it, assuming it's not more work than the participation warrants.

Abulafia said:
In these sticky threads you can recommend three different titles. Maybe one classic, one modern mainstream or genre novel, and a non-fiction book. With these you can include a linked picture of the book to different amazon stores (UK, US, Germany) so that, should somebody decide to buy them, you'll receive the commission - much easier than having the affiliation links tucked away in the depths of the forum.

That's another great idea. I especially like the recommended books from several genres.

Back