• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Parties

sugarz

Are there book parties like there are Tupperware parties or Mary Kay parties? My sister just had a purse party. If you could sell purses in the home, why not books? Have you guys ever heard of anyone doing this? One of the big book chains should do this. I would definately have one of these parties or sell the books. How about you guys?

There have been at least 2 different book companies who did the party thing. Usborne Books still does, and Successful Living used to. SL was a Christian book company I still see their racks in stores now and then.

I've been invited to an Usborne Books party next week. I was kindof surprised by it as the inviting friend is the type who lets her kids have McDonalds twice a week and play a lot of video games. I'll let you all know how it goes and if it is worth hosting one.

Yes, please let me know how it goes. I wonder if they sell in Pennsylvania... I'll see if they have a website.

Usborne Books are a great line of books. They've been around in bookstores for years. Homeschoolers love them for the wide variety of topics and great illustrations.

Dk( Dorner Kingsley) is another British publisher that we love. They have some sort of fundraising/party thing available also. The cool thing about DK is that it started out being mostly kids' books like their hugely successful Eyewitness series. But now they have titles for adults too, on every topic under the sun. I love their clear photos and explanations.

This sounds like a great idea. It's funny, but librarians are actually very well equipped to host/run book parties. In a few of my library science classes I've either talked about or had to present a book talk, which is basically a short summary of the book, highlighting its appeal factors, that would make people want to borrow it. It was a lot of fun!:D

Well, the party has been cancelled. It seems that nobody wants to go to a party where books are sold with the holidays approaching. I suppose they've got to save all their money to buy X-Box games for their kids. I'm quite bummed. I have two children on my Christmas list, and I collect children's books to boot. I know I can buy them online, but it just isn't as fun! :(

mehastings said:
Well, the party has been cancelled. It seems that nobody wants to go to a party where books are sold with the holidays approaching. I suppose they've got to save all their money to buy X-Box games for their kids. I'm quite bummed. I have two children on my Christmas list, and I collect children's books to boot. I know I can buy them online, but it just isn't as fun! :(

What? Haven't these people caught onto how easy books are to wrap?? My kids always have books on their wish lists. I've reached the point where I always try to get a book for a child's birthday party. It is the one thing I can count on other people NOT to buy too. Shame on these people. It reminds me of a conversation I had with a little boy about 15 years ago. He and his mom were leaving my house to go shop for a classmate's birthday party, and I told them they ought to go over to a bookstore. Joey piped in and said, "But this is for a BOY!" I guess I shouldn't have been so shocked since this family didn't own any books...
Anyway, I'm sorry the book party was cancelled. Shame on these people.

These books were on my grandaughters Christmas list 2 years ago. I had a hard time finding the RFK book, as it is out of print, but finally found an excellent condition used one that did not bankrupt me.

Book - At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor
Book - Lies My Teacher Told Me: American History
Book - RFK Collected Speeches

muggle said:
These books were on my grandaughters Christmas list 2 years ago. I had a hard time finding the RFK book, as it is out of print, but finally found an excellent condition used one that did not bankrupt me.

I've stopped asking for books for Christmas because I never get them. Now, I buy them for myself. We've registered for a bunch of books for our baby and I'll be SHOCKED if I get a single one.

I love baby showers! My favorite gift these days is a copy of Honey For A Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt(for mom and dad) and Pat the Bunny. Honey For A Child's Heart is a wonderfully encouraging book about the joys of reading aloud with children. I figure new moms will get way too many cute little outfits that baby will spit or poop on once, and this is a gift they can enjoy that will grow with the child.

mehastings said:
I've stopped asking for books for Christmas because I never get them. Now, I buy them for myself. We've registered for a bunch of books for our baby and I'll be SHOCKED if I get a single one.
My grandaughter knows that any/all books that she asks for at Christmas, that I will get for her. :) I have 2 grandaughters that love to read and I will never turn them down when they put books on their Christmas list.

Everyone knows that they will always get a book from me as a gift. It's kind of a family joke. But I'll give it with something else, like money or wine or a toy, depending on the person. People will buy me books if I've put them on a list, but if I don't they are afraid they'll get me something I've already read.

I wish the book party wasn't cancelled. I would have loved to hear how it went. Maybe I'll start selling books in peoples homes...

sugarz said:
Everyone knows that they will always get a book from me as a gift. It's kind of a family joke.
I wish the book party wasn't cancelled. I would have loved to hear how it went. Maybe I'll start selling books in peoples homes...

I'm just like this. I buy as many books for other people as I do for myself. Last year I spent $300 at Christmas on books. I know my eleven year old neice wishes we would get her DVDs and games instead of books, but I just can't do it.

I'm also (obviously) pretty bummed the party got cancelled. It would have been this upcoming Wednesday. I'd host one myself, but I hate begging people to buy things and I already and I know nobody wants to buy horrible, educational gifts like books!

Back