• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book, reading, literature quote of the day-from you

Kenny Shovel said:
Isn't that the guy who did "The Thong Song"?

No, that would be Cisco, the dragon.:rolleyes: Right now he's probably working at a car wash in San Diego.

lol... already we're off track...

"I imagine Heaven to be a kind of library."
-Borges

"Dante... the hyena who writes poetry in tombs."
-Nietzsche

Even when reading is impossible, the presence of books acquired produces such an ecstasy that the buying of more books than one can read is nothing less than the soul reaching towards infinity... we cherish books even if unread, their mere presence exudes comfort, their ready access, reassurance.
- A.E. Newton

Preach it, Newton! :D

"I do not believe that civilization will be wiped out in a war fought with the atomic bomb. Perhaps two-thirds of the people of the Earth might be killed, but enough men capable of thinking, and enough books, would be left to start again, and civilization could be restored." -Albert Einstein

I don't know any book quotes, can I have "when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life" By Samuel Johnson? No?

Okay, then googling...

"Literature is mostly about having sex and not much about having children. Life is the other way round."

- David Lodge, The British Museum is Falling Down

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book.

Groucho Marx[/FONT]

"Books to the ceiling, Books to the sky, My piles of books are a mile high. How I love them! How I need them! I'll have a long beard by the time I read them!"--Arnold Lobel

A man's library is a sort of harem.-Ralph Waldo Emerson, The Conduct of Life (1860, "In Praise of Books"

th_crylaugh.gif

HermioneWeasley said:
outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

"The truly cultured are capable of owning thousands of unread books without losing their composure or their desire for more." - Garbriel Zaid

"All the books we own, both read and unread, are the fullest expression of self we have at our disposal. With each passing year, and with each whimsical purchase, our libraries have become more and more able to articulate who we are, whether we read the books or not." - Nick Hornby

BALLADE OF THE BOOKWORM.

Far in the Past I peer, and see
A Child upon the Nursery floor,
A Child with books upon his knee,
Who asks, like Oliver, for more!
The number of his years is iv,
And yet in Letters hath he skill,
How deep he dives in Fairy-lore!
The Books I loved, I love them still!

One gift the Fairies gave me: (Three
They commonly bestowed of yore)
The Love of Books, the Golden Key
That opens the Enchanted Door
;
Behind it BLUEBEARD lurks, and o’er
And o’er doth JACK his Giants kill,
And there is all ALADDIN’S store,

Take all, but leave my Books to me!
These heavy creels of old we bore
We fill not now, nor wander free,
Nor wear the heart that once we wore;
Not now each River seems to pour
His waters from the Muses’ hill;
Though something’s gone from stream and shore,

Andrew Lang

First of all I'm very pleased to see the Groucho Marx quotes. He was not only the greatest comic genius ever, but also a well-read individual.

Anyways:

"The world of literature is a universe in which it is possible to establish whether a reader has a sense of reality or is the victim of his own hallucinations" - Umberto Eco

"In truly good writing no matter how many times you read it you do not know how it is done. That is because there is a mystery in all great writing and that mystery does not dis-sect out. It continues and it is always valid. Each time you re-read you see or learn something." - Ernest Hemingway

"Reading makes a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man."-Sir Francis "it's" Bacon(!)

Back