• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book recommendation? (Geopolitical/Terrorism)

chip

I'm hoping for some book/author recommendations...

I like fiction about terrorism - geopolitical thrillers I guess. But they all seem to have a hero who saves the day before Washington gets blown up, or before the tidal wave hits, or before the killer virus is actually released, etc., etc. Why? Why can't they go all the way, instead of spending the entire novel building up to the cataclysmic event, that winds up never taking place! Yagghh!

Tom Clancy actually had a book where he had the hijacked plane striking DC and wiping out most of the government, and it was a fantastic novel.

I wish I had the talents of writing a novel - sure seems like it's a wide open market in the genre I'm looking for.

Thanks for any tips,

Chip

not really my cup of tea i'm afraid, thought i should let you know in case you thought we were being ignorant.

actually these days truth is stranger than fiction so i just watch the news to see what crazy new ideas our prime minister (A.K.A Clownshoes) and his circus of idiots are proposing. I'm still waiting for him declare his pet horse (A.K.A cherie) deputy prime minister. I'm agog at the things they are finding to tax, even tax has been taxed to the hilt. Atleast people might turn up to vote next time round just to get rid of him.

ksky

chip said:
I'm hoping for some book/author recommendations...

I like fiction about terrorism - geopolitical thrillers I guess. But they all seem to have a hero who saves the day before Washington gets blown up, or before the tidal wave hits, or before the killer virus is actually released, etc., etc. Why? Why can't they go all the way, instead of spending the entire novel building up to the cataclysmic event, that winds up never taking place! Yagghh!

Tom Clancy actually had a book where he had the hijacked plane striking DC and wiping out most of the government, and it was a fantastic novel.

I wish I had the talents of writing a novel - sure seems like it's a wide open market in the genre I'm looking for.

Thanks for any tips,

Chip
In Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power, terrorists overtake the White House, with the President captured down in the safe bunker. The dealings of the Vice Pres and Staff with the terrorists, along with the military's view of the situation is certainly interesting. Sounds like it might be something you'd enjoy.

The only terrorism book I ever read was Utopia, and that was by accident. The blurb said it was like Westworld meets Jurassic Park. Great, I thought, robotic dinosaurs with guns and cowboy hats. What could be better? But the blurb turned out to be fibbing. Though it did turn out to be a good book in the end. Terrorists in a theme park. Not very political, but there were some explodings. I suppose it was mostly like Die Hard but with rollercoasters. So it's even more odd that I liked it. I can't stand action films. Can't follow them at all. Too much jiggling of the camera and dirtying of vests. But apparently, when they're in book form I quite like them. But I still think it shouldn't have been in the sci fi section.

VTChEwbecca said:
In Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power, terrorists overtake the White House, with the President captured down in the safe bunker. The dealings of the Vice Pres and Staff with the terrorists, along with the military's view of the situation is certainly interesting. Sounds like it might be something you'd enjoy.
I second this.

I have read Flynns first four novels in rapid time. Real page turners. Buy them, read them, recommend them. You'll love them.

You could always ask G W Bush for some advice about those kinda works. I believe he is some kinda expert.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Heh! GW Bush!!

Thanks for the responses. The book doesn't have to necessarily be about terrorism specifically. Natural disasters, asteroids from space, anything where I get to read about the *aftermath* of the calamity, like the U.S. West Coast dropping into the sea from an earthquake, or a killer African virus that actually makes its way into major population centers, etc.

I just tire of reading the same old type of books all the way to the end, full or half-full of suspense, just to find that absolutely nothing happens in the end! Oops - close call, but sorry, no real action here - business as usual, everyone lives happily ever after.

Ah well, the search continues..

Chip

Not sure this is exactly what your looking for, but you might be interested in:

James Herbert - '48 (synopsis taken from Amazon - In 1945 Hitler unleashes the Blood Death on Britain as his final act of vengeance. Only a handful of people with a rare blood group survive)

Stephen King - The Stand (synopsis - over 99% of the world's population is wiped out by a plague)

Robert Harris - Fatherland - (synopsis - a thriller set in a Europe in which Hitler had won the war)

In these books the "disaster" happens at the beginning and the story is set in its aftermath, rather than the disaster being the culmination of the book - all three books are in my top 20 favourite books of all time (if that's any recommendation).

Well Executioner novels tend to be like the books that you have mentioned. The main character is a man named Mack Bolan. A man who returned from Vietnam to find his family slaughtered by the American Mafia. He then went on a crusade against the mafia and was joined by a multitude of friends and a few love interests as well. Mack doesn't always come out from his adventures walking and sometimes almost dead. But he always comes away from each adventure. These books might have interest for you.

Andy McNabb's books might suit, although I find them a bit too much detail and not enough story. However the "hero" has a real hard time of it. He tends to scrap by, and does not always succeed.

Not a terrorist thriller in the slightest, but your raising the issues of natural disaster and, more specifically, disease, reminded me of Albert Camus' The Plague, about a small Arabian town that suffers from an epidemic of the bubonic plague, and how the different residents of the town cope with such a disaster, it bringing out the best in some and the worst in others.

how about
"blindness" by jose saramago
"romance of atlantis" (not sure about the name in english) by taylor caldwell

im not sure if this is close to what you mean, but anyway i recommend "the devils advocate" by taylor cradwell, its set in a facist millitary state, and its about the efforts of the rebels to overthrow the gov. pretty good.

Back