• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book sale

mrkgnao

Today in Sweden starts the big, traditional annual Book Sale.

Every year, virtually all the publishers put together lists of the books they are taking out of print (and, lately, more and more reprinted bestsellers and classics), and they sell them to the book stores at low prizes. Most stores buy rather staggering amounts of books and sell them at low margins (and usually, of course, take the chance to clear out old books from the shelves as well). A common day is decided for all book stores to start the sale, and it's usually a big happening with stores opening at midnight etc. For a lot of stores, the big sale during a few weeks in February and March supply 10 or even 20% of the year's income.

Now I'm curious: do other countries have annual book sales in the same way, or is it more common to do it the way e.g. clothes stores do - continually selling out the old stuff to make room for the new?

*mrkgnao*

We don't have anything that ambitious in the U.S. Where I live, the libraries of various towns put on their own booksales. I've obtained many books this way and absolutely enjoy it to no end.:) I'm looking forward to attending about five of these. I have to call around the end of April to find out the specific days. You get a shopping cart and fill it up with books, the ultimate booklovers shopping spree.

The Wichita Public Library has a huge book sale every year during the River Festival in May. I've gone a few times, and been amazed at the acres of books offered. They also have a year-round 'store' set up in a front corner of the main branch downtown. I don't get over there much at all anymore since its at least 20 miles away from where I live, and I seldom have reason to venture into the downtown area.
My local library has a couple of carts with books, tapes, and magazines for sale. They also have a couple of larger sales during the year-the biggest being during our Fall Festival in Sept. when we have citywide garage sales. Smart people start saving their change right after Christmas;)

Back