• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books as gifts

with new year's and christmas approaching(and whatever other holidays you may be celebrating), I thought I'd start this thread. Are any of you buying books as presents? if so, which ones and why?

I personally bought the hypnerotomachia poliphili for my dad. I think he'll like it if he ever gets through The Rule of Four. He's busy I suppose, but it's been 3 months!

I bought A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess for my younger sister, and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro for my brother. I also got a pizza cookbook for my aunty.

Purchased V for Vendetta for my secret santa this year. Also bought a gardening book for a colleague of mine at work who is getting married today as a matter of fact. Everyone pitched in $2.00 for me and I got the book in a week's time.

I'm not really buying Christmas presents this year. I'm going to England and France in June or July, so I'm going to buy everyone presents there. I asked permission first, of course...but I doubt I'll come back with books.

I bought the author's preferred edition of Magician by Raymond E. Feist for my best friend. We're both fantasy geeks and I want to get her into some new books.

I usually give books as presents to my immediate fam, but I'm the only one who ends up reading them!

This year I received a couple of books from my brother's girlfriend (she knows me too well!): On Beauty by Zadie Smith, and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Have heard great things about both, so I'm very excited!

I bought Simon Barnes' latest for my sister, Patrick Moore's 50 Years in Space for my Dad, Thomas the Tank Engine for my nephew (big hardback anthology, it's bigger than he is!) and some book tokens for my niece.

I purchased books for my parents this year: James Patterson's Cross for my mom and Michael Crichton's Next for my dad. Whenever I buy them books I tend to make sure I get ones by authors they enjoy reading. I also bought Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned and Peter Abrahams' The Tutor for a close friend of mine.

Last year I bought all of the children in my family books for Christmas, and most likley do it again this year. I've already bought my nephew the Eldest/Eragon: Box Set. I just with my cousins would stop having kids. lol. Last year we were at 10 kids, and this year they are already up to 12. It is getting expensive. ha.

How old is the kid you bought eragon/eldest for? just out of curiosity.

I have very strong opinions about those books, but i'll refrain from giving a rant.

How old is the kid you bought eragon/eldest for? just out of curiosity.

I have very strong opinions about those books, but i'll refrain from giving a rant.

He's 11. If you have any input on these books I'd appreciate it. I don't want to give him a book thats inappropriate.

with new year's and christmas approaching(and whatever other holidays you may be celebrating), I thought I'd start this thread. Are any of you buying books as presents? if so, which ones and why?

I personally bought the hypnerotomachia poliphili for my dad. I think he'll like it if he ever gets through The Rule of Four. He's busy I suppose, but it's been 3 months!

Nobody in my family reads like I do, so books will not make great presents. I have however requested Borders certificates from my family :)

I got a copy of Saturday for my mom and another one for my Dad. They both like to read, and I really enjoyed Saturday. So, I'm hoping they will too. I of course don't plan to tell either of them that they are getting the same book.

I also got a mess of books for my niece. I can't remember what they all were, but there were some classics in there, Robinson Crusoe and Treasure Island (I think). There were also some more modern things, like Redwall and something or other by Garth Nix.

M husband is getting the first of the Hamish MacBeth mysteries (title eludes me). My daughter is getting a bunch of kids books, some Seuss and other assorted things.

I have been buying books for my brother for years. He isn't much of a reader and he used to read maybe 1 out of 5 or 6. Surprisingly, this year, he suddenly started reading much more and buying books himself which makes me very proud. I am glad I never gave up ! So, this time, for once, I didn't buy him any books because he starts having a pile of his own.

The following is being donated to Childrens Charities for this Christmas:

2 Charlotte's Web
2 Airborne
1 Forever Odd
1 Marley and Me Gift Edition
1 The End

All new.

Back