• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books for Christmas?

Landslide

I was wondering if anyone received books for Christmas, and if so, which ones. I only got one: The sum of our days by Isabel Allende. Santa was not good to me this year... :(

I was wondering if anyone received books for Christmas, and if so, which ones. I only got one: The sum of our days by Isabel Allende. Santa was not good to me this year... :(

I always used to receive books at Christmas, but since having more money during the year, I've been able to buy books when I want them, so the present practice has largely died out.

However, my birthday is a fortnight before Christmas, so if that counts, a friend gave me Iron Kingdom: the Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 by Christopher Clark, plus a new history of Germany, as birthday presents.

I always used to receive books at Christmas, but since having more money during the year, I've been able to buy books when I want them, so the present practice has largely died out.

However, my birthday is a fortnight before Christmas, so if that counts, a friend gave me Iron Kingdom: the Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 by Christopher Clark, plus a new history of Germany, as birthday presents.

The Iron Kingdom sounds interesting (my knowledge of German history is somewhat pitiable between the 30 YW and the arrival of FderG). Do let us know what it is like when you get around to it.

As for Christmas, I may have done well - I received three novels by Emile Zola (Germinal, Ladies' Delight and The Earth) - I have never read Zola, so I am either in for a treat or a month of hard labour.

This christmas I received two books:

The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay
How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper

Plus the audiobook "The autobiography of Ronnie O'Sullivan". :eek:

The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko and Monster Island by David Wellington. There's nowt more festive than zombies and vampires. There was a sewing book on making bags too, but I've forgotten the name of that one and it's not in my line of sight at the moment.

We signed up to Amazon Prime as our pressie to ourselves so I'll be able to get all the things on my list that Santa didn't bring over the next couple of months.

I don't usually get books for Christmas. I think it's because people don't know what I have, so they don't get me any, but then I also don't gift cards, either :(

I give my dad books, as he never knows what to get when he goes to the local bookstore, and we have the same tastes in books, so if I've read a series and enjoyed it, I'll get that for him.

The Iron Kingdom sounds interesting (my knowledge of German history is somewhat pitiable between the 30 YW and the arrival of FderG). Do let us know what it is like when you get around to it.

I'm really looking forward to reading it, as a Germanophile and what the other half only half jokingly refers to as "a romantic Prussian". :) I'll report back here when I've read it.

As for Christmas, I may have done well - I received three novels by Emile Zola (Germinal, Ladies' Delight and The Earth) - I have never read Zola, so I am either in for a treat or a month of hard labour.

I really hope that you enjoy them. I was introduced to Zola in 2006 by a friend. I wouldn't describe them as the lightest or quickest reads around, but I've really appreciated what I've read thus far. Of those, I've got The Ladies' Delight on the shelf and am very much looking forward to it – not least because a shopping trip to Paris at the beginning of December introduced me to the core subject, the development of the department stores in the city. It was written in 1883 and the store in it was based on Le Bon Marché, which is reckoned to be the first department store in the world.

I received a $50 gift card to Chapters from the company I work for. Have not decided which books I will get with it though. Lots on my want list, just have to decide which ones to get. It doesn't take many to hit $50

Only four books this year. I have more than enough waiting to be read; didn't feel like adding too many to the pile:

Jump the Shark by Jon Hein

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl

Confessor by Terry Goodkind

I got Pillars of the Earth and a book about the story of Anastasia, which I can't remember the name of. I downloaded the audiobook of Pillars of the Earth and am following along in the book as I listen. It has made it much easier to get into.

I only received two books as presents, but I did get quite a bit in terms of value as gift cards.

The first book I received for Christmas was Look Me In the Eye, by John Elder Robinson, which I have devoured over the last 24hrs.

The second book was The Pillars of Earth, by Ken Follet.

As for the gift cards, well, we'll just say the didn't last very long. :rolleyes:

I don't usually get given books because ppl are unsure what I already have and they know that I usually buy the books I want either when they are released or when my to-read pile shrinks enough to build it up again. This year I was lucky!

The Fifth Mountain, by Paulo Coelho.
and
A Jane Austen set containing Emma, Pride and Predjudice & Sense and Sensibility

Santa brought me Kathy Reichs' Fatal Voyage. He wasn't very generous, especially since I led him around the bookstore like a puppy showing him books I wanted. :rolleyes: But I'm reserving judgment for the time being... he may be saving a few for my birthday today. I'll let you know!:p

Santa brought me Kathy Reichs' Fatal Voyage. He wasn't very generous, especially since I led him around the bookstore like a puppy showing him books I wanted. :rolleyes: But I'm reserving judgment for the time being... he may be saving a few for my birthday today. I'll let you know!:p

And a happy birthday in the meantime.

Happy birthday!!!:D

Emma by Jane Austen
Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
The Library of Greek Mythology by Apollodorus
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The Cell by Stephen King
2 cookbooks
A journal with "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." inscribed on the front

I got a few books for Christmas, the best one being Hiking Virginia: A Guide to Virginia's Greatest Hiking Adventures.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_416YMHZKSCL._SS500_.jpg

For my birthday (Dec 29) books I received were Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian and Our Dumb World: The Onion's Atlas of the Planet Earth, 73rd Edition. The Onion book is hysterical.

image_01.jpg

image_02.jpg

image_04.jpg

image_07.jpg

We signed up to Amazon Prime as our pressie to ourselves so I'll be able to get all the things on my list that Santa didn't bring over the next couple of months.

I LOVE Amazon Prime. Free 2 day FedEx shipping is great! Is it wrong that I only order things one at a time to try to get the most out of my Prime membership fee?

Oh, note that the Prime perks only apply to items that Amazon sells, not third party.

That's a great book, spark! A few great hikes that I could suggest are "Little Devil's Staircase" and "The Devil's Marbleyard". The latter can be a tough one, especially in inclement weather, unless you have very long legs. There are a few times when you'll get stuck with nowhere to go but back down to try another way. It can be a real challenge, and the rocks are extremely slippery when wet.

Happy Birthday, Landslide!!!

I LOVE Amazon Prime. Free 2 day FedEx shipping is great! Is it wrong that I only order things one at a time to try to get the most out of my Prime membership fee?

I insist on everything being sent as soon as it's available. Grouping things into one parcel is for chumps.

Back