• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books of Book Lists

abecedarian

I was at Borders last nght and saw a new book called 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall. If this book had retailed for $34.95, I might have been interested in buying the book just for fun. Have any of you seen it yet? When I get home, I can post the list from this book, that someone on another forum posted earlier.
Do you guys like to browse through this sort of book, even though you know you'll disagree with the author's choices? I do. Besides, I always find titles I didn't know about and it's fun to shake my head over some of the choices.

abecedarian said:
I was at Borders last nght and saw a new book called 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall. If this book had retailed for $34.95, I might have been interested in buying the book just for fun.

If it had retailed for $34.95?? Just how much was it?

Nah, I wouldn't get it or even look through it. There are millions of books out there, and I can't read them all, and there might be some out there worth reading that didn't make the list. I like to be surprised when I find an obscure book languishing on the shelf and it turns out to be good. :)

I was given the book from the BBC series The Big Read top 100. It is quite interesting to see their opinion of the book I have just read.

I've got that Big Read one, I love it too. Lots of interesting facts about each of the 100 titles, and pretty pictures as well, of course.

ABC,
My Borders has many like that on its shelves, differing not only in the books they list but also in the relative degree of critical evaluation that each receives. Fadiman and Smiley are two authors I remember off hand, but I only look into them from time to time and haven't yet found the one for me. I am still looking for the book that will help me to appreciate the overall scope of literature better rather than just reading for the story and deciding whether or not I like it.
Peder

considering the fact that every year there are new interesting books that worth being read before dying (readers' death), i think this recommendation books need some sort of recycling after a while.
if i would look through these sort of books it would be only to see what percentage of the list i have already read. and of course, to make myself feel good, i would consider the rest of the unread list as being bad choices.

It isn't the kind of book I'd want to plunk down real money on..garage sale prices, maybe. I will check with the library and see if I can get it sometime just for the fun of seeing what made this guy's list. Since I've never heard of him, his opinion doesn't count for much more than my own.

I've read 16 of the whole 1001, plus 10 waiting on a shelf to be read and at least 29 others I want to read.

I bought I'd buy a book like that, especially at that price! I have enough books listed as "to be read" as it is and that list contains books I know I don't like, such as Wuthering Heights...

tartan_skirt said:
I've read 16 of the whole 1001, plus 10 waiting on a shelf to be read and at least 29 others I want to read.

Wow, you read the whole 1001? :eek: :D

I managed the first section (Post-2000) and about 200 from the second section, from which I think I read maybe three, and then gave up. I'll go back to it in a while, I guess.

27 out of 1001. More than I thought it would be, actually. It's a shame the list is fiction only though.

abecedarian said:
Do you guys like to browse through this sort of book, even though you know you'll disagree with the author's choices? I do. Besides, I always find titles I didn't know about and it's fun to shake my head over some of the choices.

I do, it's interesting to see selection and to try and figure out why in the world some were chosen. I prefer selections that are a bit *odd* and try to find out myself what made the book tick with the given reviewer/writer.

Finally got through the whole list and have read 68. :eek:

But lots of them were Jane Eyre / Brontes / Dickens when I was younger because I was sadly neglected and my parents only bought me classics to read.

Back