• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books of your childhood

When I was younger I loved Roald Dahl's books, especially The Witches and James and the Giant Peach. I also went through a bit of a Famous Five stage at one time, and I used to have fights all the time with my sister, who was in love with the Secret Seven (the Famous Five could kick the Secret Seven's butts anyday :D ). But I guess that my all time favourite book when I was younger would have to be a toss-up between Bad-Jelly the Witch by Spike Milligan and The Secret Island by Enid Blyton. I read those books over and over when I was younger, and even had a little read-along tape for Bad-Jelly :)

WoundedThorns said:
i guess i started reading when i was 7 or so. i used to take out literally 20 books from the public library - driving my mother and the librarian crazy.
What?! The librarian should have been THRILLED, and your mother too! I don't know what's wrong with some of these children's librarians... you'd think they'd really love to see a kid so enthused about reading!

Ahem. [/rant]

I started reading at a young age and I have always enjoyed books. I remember quickly moving past the golden books and picture books on to things like Cam Jansen, Encyclopedia Brown, Fear Street, and then to better stuff like Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Alice series, her Witch series, and Llyod Alexander's Prydain Chronicles.

I had lots of those Golden Books, Rand McNally Elf, and Whitman books that used to be sold at grocery and department store(dime stores). Some of those pictures I remember to this day. One of my favorites was Little Black Sambo. The kid was so clever to outwit those nasty tigers! I was shocked when I got older, to find out that this book was so controversial . MY Sambo was East Indian, and very handsome.
I also love Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Bears, and of course, Mother Goose. Great stuff!

I remember that I had a purple Grimm`s book and my favourite fairy tale was Snow white. Well, the most scary one that I remeber back then was Little Red Riding Hood from Charles Perrault because when I pictured the wolf eating granny
it was really frightening :/

I remember reading the Bobbsey Twins, Dr. Seuss books, where the red fern grows, the secret garden, encyclopedia brown, Beezus and Ramona.

After a few years, I read and totally loved the Hardy Boys mysteries.

Ferdinand the Bull was a favorite. I also read Mike Mulligan and his steamshovel a million times.

I started late. I don't recall books as being part of any of our early lives during the Depression.
Looking back now, simply having food was probably big enough news.

Back