• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books on Presidents?

Poloi

What is the best source/sources on locating books written about each President of the United States? I know that the recent John Adams book is supposed to be good and I would like to read upon the other Presidents as well. Thanks :)

Cant go wrong with David McCullough. He's a national treasure in the way he makes history fascinating and real. I wish his books had been around when I was in school, history would have been much more interesting!

Two books that I have enjoyed very much are both by Doris Kearns Goodwin:

Team of Rivals, about Lincoln and his cabinet.

No Ordinary Time, the Roosevelts in the White House during WWII

Also,

Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough, about the young Teddy Roosevelt

What is the best source/sources on locating books written about each President of the United States? I know that the recent John Adams book is supposed to be good and I would like to read upon the other Presidents as well. Thanks :)

The mother of all books on each U.S. president is William DeGregorio's Complete Book of U.S. Presidents. It has everything-how they are all related, religion, upbringing, health, everything. The section on Andrew Jackson is perhaps the most interesting.

I thoroughly enjoyed these two books on Lincoln.

Lincoln Unmasked and The Real Lincoln.

Just some other names that stand out-Garry Wills, Joseph J. Ellis, and McCullough(as mentioned previously)

Back