• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books to read while on the window ledge

SFG75

With bad economic news all around us, I knew it would just be a matter of time before a plethora of books would be churned out telling us how to weather the storm while we are all standing outside on the window ledge. And yes, some books say you can prosper from this time.:lol:

The Great Depression Ahead

The Great Bust Ahead

The Coming Economic Collapse

This one might actualy be worth checking out:

The Return of Depression Economics

As for me, I plan to load up the family, head on out to California, and pick grapes.:whistling:

As for me, I plan to load up the family, head on out to California, and pick grapes.:whistling:

Are you sure? Ever read how 'Okies' were treated? Your boys deserve better;)

Still, I'll check out those books...One of them just might have the Golden Ticket. You never can tell:lol:

Or maybe talk to a wise friend I have in the business, who answered a major question:

"Why couldn't they see it coming, and do something about it?"

"Because it is different every time around."

Or maybe follow an experienced writer in the NYT, whose answer to the same question regarding Government regulatory agencies was pretty much:

"Because they are dumb"

Me? I know nothing. :confused:

Well, economists are like ecologists; they're only ever any use if the people in power actually listen to their warnings. Plenty of people saw a worldwide slump coming - I remember there being long discussions about it back when I was studying economics in the early 90s, and really, all you need to do is look at history; all economies eventually fail, all booms eventually turn into slumps. Most people, however, tend not to want to think about it happening to them, and no politician ever won an election by promising that there are hard times ahead and we need to start tightening our belts now.

Which might well qualify as dumb, now that I think of it. :)

Of course you can.

My dh has read several similar books and the commonality is that yes, one might prosper in the coming fall, but mostly that depends on the decisions of others, ie politicians, and so it's all still a crapshoot for us nobodys.

My dh has read several similar books and the commonality is that yes, one might prosper in the coming fall, but mostly that depends on the decisions of others, ie politicians, and so it's all still a crapshoot for us nobodys.

That's not necessarily true. Now is the time to max out your 401k and other investments. The market can only fall so far.

Not to mention that any time the traditional industries take a downturn, that's the time for smart people with new ideas to step forward. Capitalism yay. ;)

Maybe it's time to pick up this one? Or even this one? :whistling:

An excellent point, Pax Americana has to end some time. I guess it won't be the end of the world, we'll just have to accept the fact that we can be just ourselves and don't have to lead the world. It would be psychologically carthatic on a national level if we could reach that point of acceptance. Excellent point(I know I typed it once before, but still)

I would be more careful what I asked for.
Has the world suddenly become such a nice place? :cool:

Or maybe talk to a wise friend I have in the business, who answered a major question:

"Why couldn't they see it coming, and do something about it?"

"Because it is different every time around."
Here's an interesting article from 1999.

Congress approved landmark legislation today that opens the door for a new era on Wall Street in which commercial banks, securities houses and insurers will find it easier and cheaper to enter one another's businesses.
(...)
The decision to repeal the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 provoked dire warnings from a handful of dissenters that the deregulation of Wall Street would someday wreak havoc on the nation's financial system.
(...)
''The world changes, and we have to change with it,'' said Senator Phil Gramm of Texas, who wrote the law that will bear his name along with the two other main Republican sponsors, Representative Jim Leach of Iowa and Representative Thomas J. Bliley Jr. of Virginia. ''We have a new century coming, and we have an opportunity to dominate that century the same way we dominated this century. Glass-Steagall, in the midst of the Great Depression, came at a time when the thinking was that the government was the answer. In this era of economic prosperity, we have decided that freedom is the answer.''

In the House debate, Mr. Leach said, ''This is a historic day. The landscape for delivery of financial services will now surely shift.''
(...)
The opponents of the measure gloomily predicted that by unshackling banks and enabling them to move more freely into new kinds of financial activities, the new law could lead to an economic crisis down the road when the marketplace is no longer growing briskly.

''I think we will look back in 10 years' time and say we should not have done this but we did because we forgot the lessons of the past, and that that which is true in the 1930's is true in 2010,'' said Senator Byron L. Dorgan, Democrat of North Dakota.

Many thanks, Beer Good,
I remember the day well when I read that news and then shook my head. I thought they had lost their mind. I was among the dissenters then, and can now only think back. If anything, it has turned out worse than expected as far as I can tell. But I also think I have heard people argue recently that Glass-Stegall would not have prevented our current situation. WDIK, except that I didn't think it was broken then, so it I didn't think it needed fixing. And that was with the Lincoln Savings and Loan fiasco still ringing in our ears, brought to us by a different Congessional revision of investment/banking rules. A plague on all their houses when they decide to "fix" things.

Just picked up Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. This was the book singing the praises of global trade, technology, and how utopia was on its way via broadband.:lol: :lol:

I will say that it contains a number of fascinating stories. I had no idea that UPS fixes Toshiba computers directly at certain sites and that Wal-Mart is a big proponent of using RFIDs. I also had no clue that as soon as you scan something out, a given company gets a virtual notice that their item has just sold and that they can add another bag, container, or good to send to the store that you just purchased it from. I may not complete reading the book, there is only so much free market kool-aid that a person can take.

Are you sure? Ever read how 'Okies' were treated? Your boys deserve better;)

True, but with three strapping boys, I could really get a great return on pennies by the bucket. They could provide for me in my old age. I would just have to keep Tom Joad away, that guy is a trouble maker.

Back