• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books to Read with My Son

nomadic myth

My son is about a year and a half old now, and I'm a compulsive reader. I'm going to have to start reading with him, but I don't think he will go for Conrad or Nabokov. I need some books I will enjoy that I can read with him. Beautiful art, literary qualities despite the age level, and stuff like that. If I have to read crap baby books I'll go nuts from book withdrawal. Oh yeah, I have to enjoy being able to read it about a million times as well. Basically, what are the best books out there for babies and toddlers?

'The Hungry Caterpillar' did it for my two; they can put their fingers through the holes:) Just as an interim read before Conrad.;)

Good Night Moon was nice. My daughter thought that the little pink folded blanket at the foot of the bed was a folded ham slice. It was cute. She said "hammy?"

I had some fabulously illustrated ones, the names of which evade me. I'll post them if I can drum them up.

At a year and a half, I'm not sure what the child is more interested in - the pictures or the tone of your voice. At that age plot doesn't seem to be a big issue.

I was a big fan of Enid Blyton as a child. I had a wonderful illustrated copy of The Magic Wishing Chair. My mother used to read it to me and change some of the text so that the male/female roles as written by Blyton were not passed on to me (I found out this later, obviously). So Dick would do the washing up while Fanny went out to help father in the garden (I wonder why I recalled these two names... :D).

Some classic tales may be good too - for example Peter Pan, which is a lovely story, albeit a bit scary in parts (omit at will!). Given how young your son is, you'd want to have illustrations to go along with it.

Other wonderfully illustrated books that I recall, although it might be premature for your son at this stage, are:

- Animalia (you can tell your own stories with this one)
- Where the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker (a beautiful book where all the pictures are collaged)
- Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
- I also recall an illustrated book of Rudyard Kiplings, but whether it was The Jungle Book or a collection of short stories I can't recall.

And the following have an Australian focus, so they may not be available or what you're looking for, but I'll put them down here in case someone searches this thread.

- The Quinkins series of books about the Aboriginal people.
- How the Kookaburra Got Its Laugh (there is a whole collection of these Dreamtime stories with bright vibrant colours and simple stories that are nice and short but allow discussion. 'How the Kangaroo Got it's Tail', etc).

Kook's right about your child's interest at this stage in his life. I'm glad to see her mention Animalia and I highly recommend all of Graeme Base's books. My kids love The Water Hole too.
Other favorites around here:

Applebet-Clyde Watson
Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain-Verna Aardema
Wait til the Moon is Full-Margaret Wise Brown
various Mother Goose books-look for different artists

Really, just about anything that doesn't make you gag works. Cookbooks, magazines, catalogs, anything with pictures and a few words are wonderful ways to build his vocabulary and have fun with mom at the same time.

blueboatdriver said:
'The Hungry Caterpillar' did it for my two; they can put their fingers through the holes:) Just as an interim read before Conrad.;)

Really, anything by Eric Carle is great. The same for Margaret Wise Brown. Also, Jan Brett illustrates some classic children's tales and her illustrations are wonderful. The Owl and the Pussycat is my suggestion as the pictures are colorful and beautiful. My personal favorite for children's books is Midnight Moon by Clyde Watson. Lastly, if nothing here floats your boat I can suggest a method. Go down to your local Barnes & Noble (or other large bookstore) and go to the children's section. They will undoubtedly have a section for award winning picture books. Can't go wrong there.

Lynley Dodd's books are great, and most Mick Butterworth/Mick Inkpen books; lots of nursery rhymes. Also look for books which have won awards for the Under-Fives, or Kate Greenaway awards for illustration as that is very important for this age-group.

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the recommendations. It's so great to have so many avid readers' brains to pick.

I'll keep reading this thread, too, if other people have more to say.

He's just a bit too young now, but I feel very guilty when I'm reading, and Mommy is in the other room tired, and he is climbing all over me pointing at my book going "s'dat?, s'dat?" (translation: What's that?). I have a few months to investigate and buy books.

It's very essential that he reads a lot. I come from a working class family, but my dad always read to me and took me to the library. Whereas none of my extended family is interested in books, I'm very much in love with books, books, books. I also don't want to swamp him with reading and ruin it for him.

I also have to get some Korean books, since his Mom is Korean. I don't suppose anyone can help me with that, though? She'll have to get on The Korean Book Forum.

Faith Ringgold's "Tar Beach." It's full of busy, colorful, lively scenes up on the roofs of New York. Her quiltwork is pretty neat.

Also, my daughter suggests "Who Will Comfort Toffle?" by Tove Jansson. It's apparently simply "cute, cute, cute. Sweet." She suddenly also emphasizes its high literary value, now that she sees you want not to be sickened by the cuteness.

There's one book I loved as a little kid, I don't know how to spell it exactly, or who it's by, but it was a book about a sled dog, who was going to retire after this Iditarod, but got injured. I think it was called Akiak....

My little brother quite enjoyed the Spot series when he was about this age. Lots of lift-the-flaps fun and three word sentences. The series also progresses so it can take your child through learning clolours and numbers to their first day at school or meeting new friends.

566073.jpg
0399243194.jpg
ai24.ebayimg.com_03_c_00_c0_8e_88_7.JPG
0-7232-5083-9.jpg

There are a ton of really creative and eye-catching books out there. I've found a few where you could read and manipulate a puppet on the side of the book, how inventive!. Pop-ups are good, I'd try that if you have a patient one. There are lots of tactile friendly books on the market now-I'd aim for one of those if I were you.

Back