• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books with photos of the author

I can't remember the authors name, but I'll ask the person whos book it was when I see them (which will probably be Friday at the earliest, darn exams).

I've noticed that all authors are generally very ugly and/or odd looking. Laurell K. Hamilton is ok, if she lost weight she'd be a real looker. Tracy Chevliar is hideous. She looks like a skinny man with womens hair.

But Kim Harrison is smart, she takes her pics but doesn't really show her face. In one author picture she was in a cloak and photographed from the back, in her second photo it was a profile, but her hair was covering most of her face. From what I saw she looked generally pretty though.

I just finished a book by Susan Wiggs, an author I normally wouldn't read (had forgotten my backup book at home and had to pick up whatever was kicking around at work). The ENTIRE cover was a huge picture of her. Um...weird...

Kookamoor said:
The most disturbing one that I recall is that of Terry Goodkind.

I've seen that one before. I'd already given up on his books and picked up one of his new releases to see if Dick and Kaz were still fighting against the same baddy or if, after upteem books, he'd managed to come up with some original plot ideas, and there he was, staring out at me as if to say 'Your name's not daaaaan, you're not coming in.'

Maybe ugly and writing goes hand in hand. The outside world shuns them and so they retreat into their own little fantasy worlds where they can be the hero and everybody loves them. Not that any of the authors that grace the forum are ugly. I'm sure you're all very beautiful people indeed. Ahem.

Litany said:
Maybe ugly and writing goes hand in hand. The outside world shuns them and so they retreat into their own little fantasy worlds where they can be the hero and everybody loves them. . . . Ahem.

I think you have the cause and effect backwards. All those years chained to a keyboard staring at little letters on a screen give you a lard ass, a hunchback, a frown, carbunkles, and other unslightly deformations. I've been sitting here so long I have barnacles growing on my shins and have to be taken out for the Spring Scrapedown soon.

But really, don't you think ALL people are ugly up close. Full grown ones especially. Just look at anyone and notice everything about them and you will find ugliness. Then again, some people think it's kind of interesting and beautiful. I bet if you looked really closely at Pearl, at the pore level, you would see a lot of icky stuff, even though I'm SURE she is really beautiful from a great distance. And think of all the dust mites chomping away on everyone's skin all day. And the bacteria. And do those shorts really suit you? I mean, I'm SURE you could have found a more flattering pair.

novella said:
But really, don't you think ALL people are ugly up close. Full grown ones especially. Just look at anyone and notice everything about them and you will find ugliness.

No, I think you're very wrong. I, for one, am stunning. But I don't write. Well I do write quite a lot, but I'm only the author of a load of essays and one thrilling dissertation. But I do see where you're going with the writing makes you ugly, rather than being ugly makes you a writer. Maybe it will be one of lifes many unanswered questions.

Nick Hornby was on Richard & Judy (shut up! IT'S INFORMATIVE TELEVISION!) and he's a bit of a minger. But you could kind of forgive him cos he seemed quite normal. Don't reckon he puts his picture in his books of him trying to look intellectual. He was more like, 'yeh I like football and stuff and err then all these people make films bout my books so I'm rich whee'. Still wouldn't shag him though, even with all that money.

Here's proof that everyone is secretly ugly:

My sister lost a contact lens once, leaning over the rail of a boat it blew out of her eye. So, being my relative, she went around for an entire year with one contact lens in. (She's an artist.) When she finally got around to getting a new pair, she goes, "I forgot how UGLY everyone is. You can see their SKIN. It was MUCH more pleasnat when they were all fuzzy." It was sort of like do-it-yourself mental airbrush, I guess.

It reminds me a lot of American politics . . . get the hook!!

Here is a close-up of the dust mites on Stephen King, from his recent book cover. And a picture of Cherie Blair's fun-time shoe. Politics alarm!! Get the hook!!
awww.ars.usda.gov_is_kids_suburb_story2_dustmites.jpgawww.antiks.co.uk_70s_20No.53_20__201970_s_20Union_20Jack_20Sandal.jpg

novella said:
Politics alarm!! Get the hook!!
Are you saying that Stephen King will take over the British parliament with the help of dust mites, and the only way to stop this from happening is getting Hook? Do they also need Peter Pan?

novella said:
But really, don't you think ALL people are ugly up close. Full grown ones especially. Just look at anyone and notice everything about them and you will find ugliness. Then again, some people think it's kind of interesting and beautiful. I bet if you looked really closely at Pearl, at the pore level, you would see a lot of icky stuff, even though I'm SURE she is really beautiful from a great distance. And think of all the dust mites chomping away on everyone's skin all day. And the bacteria. And do those shorts really suit you? I mean, I'm SURE you could have found a more flattering pair.

The other day we were watching some news channel with people making comments, and Mom observed that ordinary people on TV always have wens, pockmarks, scars, etc. I think we are so busy watching beautiful people heavily madeup that we forget what ordinary folks look like.

I blame TV for low self-esteem. How can regular folks possibly compete with people who have had extensive dental work, plastic surgery, makeup artists (there's a reason they call them that), professional hair styling, wardrobe masters, etc. ?

novella said:
My sister lost a contact lens once, leaning over the rail of a boat it blew out of her eye. So, being my relative, she went around for an entire year with one contact lens in. (She's an artist.) When she finally got around to getting a new pair, she goes, "I forgot how UGLY everyone is. You can see their SKIN. It was MUCH more pleasnat when they were all fuzzy." It was sort of like do-it-yourself mental airbrush, I guess.

I can bear witness to this too - for vanity reasons I went around without glasses for 6 years, despite a prescription of -5 or so. Everyone does look fuzzy and you don't base your opinions so much on the way they look, but on the way they talk and their body language (only up close, though - if someone talked to me all lovely, but gave me the finger from 10 metres away I'd never have known). When I finally started wearing the damn glasses (and later could afford contact lenses) I too was shocked at how ugly all these supposedly trendy people were.

Grrr. I think if you saw me though, you would be stunned by my beauty. My beard! It's got little bows in it any everything.

tartan_skirt said:
or shes made of plastic.

I wouldn't be surprised considering the books she writes, haha.

But I think it was very airbrushed. Atleast she tries, most authors let their horrible skin show. Ick. If I ever have my picture taken to show in public, you better believe there will be a lot of airbrushing! LOL

Back