• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you want to re-read

SFG75

What books do you want to re-read? I don't know how many times here that someone has mentioned a work that I've read previously. Yet, I can't recall much about the given book, so I think to myself: "Gotta pick that one up again!." Anyone else out there get the same impulese from time to time? :)

I'm re-reading Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee right now. I read it several times when I was a teen. It is a book I believe every American should read at least once in their lives. While it is a good thing to be proud of one's nation, it's an even better thing to be proud of how far we come from how low we've proven we could sink. Not that we've arrived, by any means, there's still so many areas that need fixing, but books like this are important "rest of the story" reminders that the winners do write the history texts.

Some other books I plan to re-read sometime are: The Far Pavillions, The Mirror of Her Dreams, and A Man Rides Through It, the Amber series by Zelazny, and maybe the rest of the Americans series by John Jakes. I read them all when they were fresh off the presses when I was in high school. I've re-read the first two, and may get back to the rest eventually.

The Last of the Curlews by Fred Bodsworth and Graeme Gibson. All I remember about reading that when I was much younger is that I didn't get much of it so I would like to try again. I would also like to spend more time with a printing of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by Joyce that has some decent annotations.

The Dark Tower (I've already reread The Wastelands) -Stephen King
The Sandman (although I've already reread this 3 times) -Neil Gaiman
Quiet Days in Clichy -Henry Miller (I wanted to talk to someone about this book, but I've forgotten character's names & some of the situations)
Lolita -Vladimir Nabokov (it's just so lovely, I'd like to study this novel)

I "read" Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides via audio CD. I did it for a long trip my wife and I were taking. I want to actually read the book. I also would like to re-read Singularity Sky by Charles Stross. It's a sci-fi book that had a lot political commentary, and I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I read it. I should have stopped, but it still held me interest.

Mainly I'm motivated to reread stories if they feature characters I really liked. It's like visiting old friends, and if the story is well-written you learn new things about them while rereading.

Some of my favorite re-reads are:

Harry Potter
Stephen King's better novels (Dark Tower series, It, The Stand, Bag of Bones, Rose Madder, others)
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
The Belgariad series by David Eddings

I would like to re-read The Goblet of Fire before the movie comes out, so that I can refresh my memory of the book. I also want to re-read Life of Pi, because I'm sure that I will notice things that I never had before after reading the discussion thread on this forum. It's also one of my favourite books, which doesn't hurt :)

I tend to reread most things... unless I didn't like them particularly. Especially if I just want something to read for a short while.
So I don't have a long list of books I desperately want to read again.

I love re-reading books. Often, I will see one I like int he library or used book store. Recently, I have re-read Illegal Alien by Robert J. Sawyer, The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and Visions in Death by Nora Roberts as J.D. Robb. I loved them all even better the second time (except the Nora Roberts book, which I still really liked but mostly just re-read the good parts and skimmed the rest).

I'm going through Auster's New York Trilogy again. I think this is the fourth time. I also re-read a lot of stuff from childhood. Narnia is always good to go back to. Oh, and some horror stuff from when I was a kid - a bit like watching old b & w films.

Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov

Ideas and thoughts on it have been swirling around my head since i finished reading it and i want to pick it back up but i'm reading something right now.

Currently re-reading Michael Moore's Stupid White Men. I love his humor and sarcastic wit. I also like to re-read George Carlin books.:) I read this when stumped by old Sherlock Holmes or need something more refreshing than Lee Iacocca's writing.

SFG75 said:
Currently re-reading Michael Moore's Stupid White Men. I love his humor and sarcastic wit. I also like to re-read George Carlin books.:) I read this when stumped by old Sherlock Holmes or need something more refreshing than Lee Iacocca's writing.

I enjoyed his humour in the book and bowling for columbine but i've found everything else after these two have just not been funny. I don't take his political ramblings seriously but it was fine for he was funny and now :(

i re-read books all the time, mostly when i dont feel like starting a long novel, i rather go back to re-read a smaller one that i remember to have enjoyed that is at hand (like murder on the orient express or im a legend)

other than this case, i would to read again from top of my head, the journeyrer (gary jennings), the devil's advocate (taylor caldwell), chronicle of a foretold death (gabriel garcia marquez), un hilito de sangre -A Trickle of Blood- (eusebio ruvalcaba), ciudades desiertas -desert cities- (jose agustin), My First Two Thousand Years: The Autobiography of the Wandering Jew (George Sylvester Viereck, Paul Eldridge) and the prodigal daughter (jeffrey archer).

I don't re-read very much - there always seems to be something new and enticing around.......!

Off the top of my head, those that I've read more than once would include:

Catch 22
The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides
Goulds Book of Fish - Richard Flanagan (it has so many layers,a second reading is almost mandatory)
Riddley Walker - Russell Hoban (anyone's who's read it and enjoyed it will know why once is not enough!)

ConstantReader said:
Goulds Book of Fish - Richard Flanagan (it has so many layers,a second reading is almost mandatory)

I've decided to buy the book on this alone(well and its only 5 euro!)

Well i usually read books more then once because i don't believe one can get all the angles of a book by only reading it once... i remember when i was a lot younger i read "gone with the wind" 5 or 6 times...heh. But i'd gladly re-read Steinbeck's "East of Eden" it's one of my favourite books, also "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa, reading that book is like taking a hollyday for me, "Kristin Lavrandsdasser" by Sigrid Undset, but those are so few.... i'd really re-read my entire collection..ah anything Tolstoi, anything Nina Berberova...and i'm stopping now.:)

Sabenankh said:
Well i usually read books more then once because i don't believe one can get all the angles of a book by only reading it once... i remember when i was a lot younger i read "gone with the wind" 5 or 6 times...heh. But i'd gladly re-read Steinbeck's "East of Eden" it's one of my favourite books, also "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa, reading that book is like taking a hollyday for me, "Kristin Lavrandsdasser" by Sigrid Undset, but those are so few.... i'd really re-read my entire collection..ah anything Tolstoi, anything Nina Berberova...and i'm stopping now.:)

you're a newb like moi

ps i love you

Back