• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you've read before you had any knowlege of an upcoming movie based on the book.

FourTonMantis

This happened to me for the first time recently. I read Radio Free Albemuth by Philip K. Dick and just recently found out the movie is coming out on June 11th. What books have you read without any prior knowledge of a movie existing?

I read The Hobbit the year The Fellowship of the Ring movie came out. With all the publicity surrounding the movies, it's actually amazing I didn't know about it.

Atonement, My Sisters Keeper, and Life of Pi. The last 2 are in pre-production apparently. I haven't seen Atonement yet. I'm a bit reluctant as the movie version always disappoints me - even if it is really good. I found this with Remains of the Day. I would have loved the movie if I hadn't read the book. But because I really really loved the book, the movie seemed to pale by comparison.

I can only think of The Da Vinci Code. I read it before I knew there was going to be a movie about it. I saw the movie and wasn't disappointed by it.

Hmm, this could date some of us... ok-The Exorcist. :eek:

There have been quite a few over the years, most recently, No Country for Old Men. Lots of children's books would be included in this too. The Golden Compass; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Harry Potter series; Series of Unfortunate Events - it goes on.

I too read " The Hobbit" and the " Fellowship of the Ring' before knowing a movie was to be made. I found the reference to " The Hobbit" in a children's book, ( The Doll in the Garden) and was curious to read it. My dad bought if for me for a gift, then bought the next three books to follow.

Recently I read " Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" without knowing it had a movie counterpart, and " Ice Station Zebra" as well.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a great book that read years before the movie came out. I thought the movie was pretty good, but you can't beat Douglas Adams' wit and writing style.

I read The Lord of the Rings before it became a film. I think, anyway, I was 9 when I read that.

McEwan's Atonement. And, er... Life of Pi, My Sister's Keeper, The Da Vinci Code, Choke. I'm sure there must be lots more, because I am always saying "oh, such and such is coming out? I've read the book."

I read several without knowing there was a film... Nabokov's Lolita, Virginia Andrews Flowers in the Attic (um, did I really just admit that on a public forum? :eek: ), Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.

At this moment it would be The Ruins for me - and to judge from the trailers, it appears some changes have been made. I really look forward to seeing it and was surprised to learn of the production less than half a year after reading it. I once climbed to the top of Tulum and that's another reason for wanting to see the film. A little deja vue perhaps?

The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty. I found out later that the movie is due for release in 2009.

I read East of Eden. I knew of the James Dean's movie that was shot in 1955. After I read it, I heard something about Ron Howard was going to do a remake somewhere around 2007. But nothing came out. Now IMDB shows East of Eden with year of 2009. No other info found though.

Lord of the Rings
The first Harry Potter book
The Firm
The Pelican Brief
The Da Vinci Code
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (and the rest of the Narnia series)

probably a few more over the years.

This happened to me for the first time recently. I read Radio Free Albemuth by Philip K. Dick and just recently found out the movie is coming out on June 11th. What books have you read without any prior knowledge of a movie existing?

Another Philip K. Dick book, and one of my favorites, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Of course the film adaptation Blade Runner was actually made in 1982, I never saw it until just recently when a friend informed me that it was actually based on a book by one of my favorite authors.

If you see tho original directors cut, which was just released as a 25 year anniversary edition, you will notice that it remains much more true to the plot than the version which was originally released.

Another Philip K. Dick book, and one of my favorites, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Of course the film adaptation Blade Runner was actually made in 1982, I never saw it until just recently when a friend informed me that it was actually based on a book by one of my favorite authors.

This is one I read not long before the movie came out. It's interesting to see so many from the Dick catalog being made into films all of a sudden.

I re-read Interview with the vampire' just so I'd know how close the film came to it (I love Anne Rice books) The film didn't dissapoint and I controversially love Tom Cruise as Lestat.

Back