• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Brian Keene question

Fenster

Does anyone here know what's going on with the third printing of Brian Keene's The Rising?

I ordered a copy of the book (most likely from the second printing) from an eBay merchant. However, it hasn't arrived and the seller is theorizing that the package got lost in the mail - so I may or may not get it. They have offered to refund my money if it never arrives.

What concerns me is that if this book is so popular, I may not be able to get a hold of a copy from the third printing if I don't preorder... but then I might wind up with two copies. (Then again, if it's so in demand, I could probably easily find a buyer for my extra copy.)

The ironic thing is, I don't even know if I'm going to like Keene's work. I was browsing in a bookstore and impulsively bought a copy of City of the Dead. Only after I got it home did I find out that it was actually a sequel to The Rising, and since I'm such a fussbudget about following stories in order I decided I just had to read the first one first.

Anyway, Brian Keene's official website says that a third printing has been done, but so far none of the bookselling websites I've checked say anything about it.

Suggestions?

He's got a new one coming out next month entitled, The Conqueror Worms, so maybe Leisure will ship out some with the new book. You should go to their site, dorchesterpub.com and ask 'em.

One step ahead of you. I ordered a copy of both books from their website on Monday. It was the only place that lists The Rising as being available.

Well, The Rising and City of the Dead are both zombie stories. He also has a new one coming out early next month called The Conqueror Worms about two old men in the rural south trying to survive an onslaught of giant killer worms who come up through the ground (sorta like the movie Tremors). I ordered a copy of that one too since I read an excerpt from it and it sounded good.

These are the only books of his I'm familiar with, though he does have a few others. You can check out his website at www.briankeene.com.

I've read both The Rising and it's sequel City of the Dead and found them both very entertaining. I'm definitely picking up The Conqueror Worms. Keene posts every now and then on the Leisure boards and he seems like a nice guy. He also posts on the Shocklines message board where it seems a lot of current horror authors post.

The UPS man FINALLY brought my copy of The Rising today.

Now I've just got to hurry up and finish Xombies.

This sounds like something I might want to read.

Real quick though, is it like funny horror (a la Shawn of the Dead) or does it really take itself seriously with the worms and zombies?:)

FWIW, I finally got around to starting The Rising today and I went through 90 pages before I finally put it down. And when I did, it was only because my brain needed a breather. (No matter how much I enjoy something I'm reading, there's only so long I can read before I have to take a break for a while.) Great stuff so far.

So how did you like The Rising? The Conqueror Worms was good, but not as good as his zombie stuff. It's like a cross between Tremors and a Lovecraft story.

I loved it! Read it in two days, mainly in two marathon sessions. Very good. It wasn't perfect, but 1) what book is, and 2) very impressive for a first novel. The only thing I had a problem with was how accomplished Keene's zombies were - who ever heard of zombies driving cars and shooting with the accuracy of marksmen? But you can't blame him for wanting to put a new twist on the standard zombie formula.

I was going to take a break before jumping into City of the Dead, but the book I was reading in the meantime - Lebbon's Berserk, isn't doing anything for me so I'm just going to give up on it, I think.

Glad you liked it and I don't think you'll be disappointed by City of the Dead.

I read Lebbon's The Nature of Balance and had a hard time getting through it, so I haven't read anything else by him.

Hey lenny, I started City today and read 45 pages. At first I wasn't sure, but now I am enjoying it. Not as much as the first, but it's still very good. I laughed out loud at one point - I see Brian hasn't let up on the black humor part of his writing. This should be fun.

I just read over on the Dorchester forums that he'll have 2 new paperbacks coming out this year: Ghouls and Dead Sea.

Back