• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

C.E.O. libraries article; New York Times

SFG75

You may have to register to see it, but it's definitely worth it as the Times is one heck of a publication. From the article.

Michael Moritz, the venture capitalist who built a personal $1.5 billion fortune discovering the likes of Google, YouTube, Yahoo and PayPal, and taking them public, may seem preternaturally in tune with new media. But it is the imprint of old media — books by the thousands sprawling through his Bay Area house — that occupies his mind.

“My wife calls me the Imelda Marcos of books,” Mr. Moritz said in an interview. “As soon as a book enters our home it is guaranteed a permanent place in our lives. Because I have never been able to part with even one, they have gradually accumulated like sediment.”

From what I can see in the pictures, these people read a wide variety of books. That makes me feel good about my own eccentric collection.

I do like the quote by the CEO who never throws any book away. I'm the same way. Warped with rain damage? Leave it alone. The cover and the first ten pages are gone?, put it back on the shelf. The binder is shot and pages are all over?, use a rubber band.

The most amusing thing though, was how secretive some of them are about the books they read.:rolleyes:

Mr. Wad O. Cash: "Jeepers Smithers!, did you read that Mr. Bucks reads The Prince every night?"

Mr. Millions N. DeBank: "Great, that means he's going to sell 10,000 shares tomorrow."

Mr. Wad O. Cash: "Yeah, we have him figured out now.":D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Yep, predictability and books go together.

One wonders when people who work hard enough to earn billions of dollars find the time to read all those books... but good luck to'em, I guess.

One wonders when people who work hard enough to earn billions of dollars find the time to read all those books... but good luck to'em, I guess.

Excellent point-I've heard they put in crazy hours, 60, 70, 80. At the same time, that kind of position requries a ton of delegated work, so they're checking paperwork and giving directives to underlings who thencarry it out. I would imagine they have time on the plane to read, not to mention a lone hour or two after a crushing 10 to 12 hour work day filled with meetings and paperwork. That, or they golf 12 hours a day.:D

Back