• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can you ever catch up or is it a losing battle?

I can't say that I have ever felt the pressure to "keep up" so to speak. The sheer number of books that is turned out, especially during the fall book season is just too much for one person. Half of the new stuff I wouldn't read anyways. I guess my attitude is somewhat along the lines of-I'll read it if I read more reviews about it and my interest is piqued, or if I run across it at the bookstore. I have re-read some books rather than read new ones for the first time, sure don't feel guilty about that, but then again, I could be missing a new thing or two. :eek:

There is no way I can keep up with the flood of titles that interest me some way or another. And the bookstores display them so nicely! So I create my own problems by buying too many when I browse, and when I have the money in my pocket. Lately I have been cutting back, partly for budget and partly to work down my stack. It's the only way I know to make headway --- and yes it is difficult.:( The books that I leave in the store I tell myself will always be there when I want them. That is not always true, but one has figure out some reason to justify being heartless, cruel and ruthless :D

BTW I also have a TBF stack because I can't wait to at least start many of the books I have bought, with the result that I'll be half-reading several books at once and that creates its own stack.

Peder

Catch up for what? What are you going to lose if you don't read everything?

Just be happy that you'll never run out of good books to read.

It's not that I am trying to catch anyone. Well, trying to keep up with my own desire I guess. Maybe if I had always been the reader I am now I wouldn't feel so behind of how well read I think I should be.

I'm definitely fighting a losing battle. I use to be able to keep my TBR pile at a reasonable level, but since i joined this forum it's growing by the day. Good books being recommended all the time, it also makes the decision of what to read next harder and harder.
But it's a battle i don't mind losing, keep them coming !

ions said:
It's not that I am trying to catch anyone. Well, trying to keep up with my own desire I guess. ....

Ions,
I like that way of putting it: Trying to keep up with one's own desire.
Exactly!
Peder

First, I keep a stack of books next to my bed. I don't have to read them in order, but I must finish that stack( or have only 1 left) before I go bouncing off to the bookstore again. The stack usually begins with about 6-7 books.

Besides that I keep a list of books I have heard of that I would like to read. This list is on a piece of paper and is getting progressively longer...... and longer.... and longer. Then there is the actual journey over to Barnes and Nobles. At which point I will try to stick to my list, but without fail I will find other things in the store to interest to me. I will limit myself at the bookstore to no more than 6-8 books. Everyone knows if I could, I would just walk out with half the store in my arms. I will add the titles of things I didn't buy this trip, to my little piece of paper so I can perhaps get them next time.

This little list by the way, is very long. I'll never be able to finish everything I wish but I will put forth a valiant effort. This is the only way I can keep things organized.

Scottishduffy said:
This little list by the way, is very long. I'll never be able to finish everything I wish but I will put forth a valiant effort.
I think that most people on this forum also have that problem - I know I do, and the problem has been getting considerably worse ever since I joined :D

Completely! I have the biggest pile of amazing books on my shelf that I'm dying to read. But I'm stuck in the middle of a horrible book and wont reaed any others till i finish it...and I', too busy with VCE exams coming up AND a deadline with my own writing. NO TIME! Now, when I used to read in bed, has turned into late night phone calls with my boyfriend...so i got no time. And I look at my list and want to cringe!! list is too small. TOO SMALL!

Lani

I have an excel spreedsheet as my TBR list, and it's growing exponentially. As for actual books I have, I currently have...probably 8 library books, and 6 more on hold currently. I need to finish those before I'll let myself request more. And then there's the six or seven I have requested but that aren't back yet.

This whole thread reminds me of a favorite poem by Arnold Lobel, from his children's book, Whispers and Rhymes. I wish I could show you the illustration because it's perfect:

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the wall,
I'll have a long beard
By the time I read them all.

My own TBR pile is at least as tall as the Matterhorn, and gaining more all the time. Then there's my ever growing, never complete "Candidates" list of books I want to get to someday..I guess that's what bibliophiles DO :D

Back