• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can't we all just get along?

Sar

kickbox
I'm sure I'm about to get totally ripped to shreds over this post, particularly as I'm still a newbie here, but can those who have an issue with a couple of members please just stop dragging everybody else into their problems?

I joined this place thinking it was an online community about books & othersuch literature, but have been shocked by the on-going witch hunt lately. Not everyone is expected to get on all the time, but surely personal conflicts can be handled via personal messages rather then dragging the mood of the whole board down.

As I said, I know I shall no doubt be subjected to an onslaught following this telling me I have no place to comment etc, but can we please just all calm down & return to just enjoying what is here?

Me too. Great words Sar. Thanks for that! Hope everybody can pay attention!

If anybody has personal issues with other members could they just not keep it to themselves? And if they really have to say something then please do it in private?

This is a great forum, has a great bunch of people, can we all please just get along! :)

i could not agree more. the tone of late has been bitter and i feel a lot of people are avoiding the forum or not posting because it has gotten edgier and edgier. where's the love people?

I think you have every right to comment, Sar. You're a member of this forum just like anyone else, and we should all be able to feel comfortable in this environment.

I whole heartedly agree that it has been feeling hostile in here of late. The fact that someone who is new to the forum is speaking up about this indicates that it is affecting the way some people use and interact in this place. When I arrived here, one of the things I enjoyed so much was the happy banter that went on and how accepting everyone was.

Sar, I join with you in requesting that everyone take a deep breath and calm down.

jenngorham said:
where's the love people?

I feel it may be time for a group hug (or is it just that I use any excuse nowadays to get some affection?)

Seriously though, I don't want people thinking I'm belittling them, or trying to imply that they don't have every right to their own opinions. Surely the whole meaning of a forum is to encourage debate, but creative criticism is always far more favourable then just personal attacks & negativity.

--very well said, and I think if EVERYDOBY can learn how to RESPECT EVERYONE'S OPINION and stop being the know-it-all wannabe,I think we'll be all just FINE.

Sar said:
can those who have an issue with a couple of members please just stop dragging everybody else into their problems?

While it would be nice to have a Utopian online experience there can be moments when personalities grate against each other. The amazing thing is that on a forum there is a child entity called a thread and it is through threads that these issues you refer to have been communicated. Nobody has to participate in any thread - there's no mandatory rule upon them - and so nobody can be "dragged" into a problem. If they post, they participate.

I joined this place thinking it was an online community about books & other such literature

It is. :D

the mood of the whole board down

How can it be dragged any lower than dipsy wipsy rainbow land? :confused:

I know I shall no doubt be subjected to an onslaught following this telling me I have no place to comment etc,

Not at all.

can we please just all calm down & return to just enjoying what is here?

But what is here is, sadly, lacking at times. :(

Stewart said:
While it would be nice to have a Utopian online experience there can be moments when personalities grate against each other. The amazing thing is that on a forum there is a child entity called a thread and it is through threads that these issues you refer to have been communicated. Nobody has to participate in any thread - there's no mandatory rule upon them - and so nobody can be "dragged" into a problem. If they post, they participate.

Stewart said:
How can it be dragged any lower than dipsy wipsy rainbow land? :confused:

I don't believe there was any need to patronise, after all others do appear to agree that some awkwardness has arisen from the whole situation. I wasn't trying to imply anything about a utopian experience, I was merely suggesting that personal grudges be dealt with in a more civilized manner.

I know that the tone of posting in recent times has made me lurk more than post, to be quite honest. I wish it were more about the books and less about people enjoying the anonymity of a computer screen.

However, just to put some perspective on this, check out the tone over at the discussion board on www.laurellkhamilton.org - that truly beggars belief!

*agrees*

It is an awful website, but the thing that totally astounded me was the way that the members constantly publically attack one another. So harsh and unnecessary.

clueless said:
So sorry, Jenn. Never meant to hurt you, but you could have looked at people's avatars before hugging everybody : :p

no worries. i am "clueless" (get it) as to what your avatar is?

I just want to point out that none of this is about personal conflicts among members.

It's about what TBF expects of its moderators. It's not personal at all. I would never do that to a fellow member, no matter how much I don't agree with them. This case is completely different.

Further, I agree with Darren that it would have been better for the site as a whole for me to communicate in private with him, particularly as the site exists by the grace of advertising and Darren's efforts, both of which depend on keeping the place relatively on-topic and grief-free. That said, on a site about books, that advertises books, plagiarism is unacceptable, period. If others think that discussion is taboo because someone might get hurt feelings, think of the consequences for an author who cannot trust that the world will respect copyright. No books. Unless they have advertisements on them, I guess. I am an author, BTW. It's my business to trade in copyrights, so to me it is not a trivial issue that just might embarrass someone. I respect Darren's need to make a living and the value of his work. I ask the same of others regarding written work under copyright.

Those of you who've been here know that I post often and at length about books and am very willing to get into detailed friendly discussion about books, publishing, writing, and all related.

I appreciate entirely the importance behind copyright, as authors need to earn a living too & where would a book forum without authors?

When I originally started this thread yesterday it was when emotions were running high & think things were getting miscommunicated in various places. For instance, I don't think anyone was saying plaigarism is any way acceptable, though it is understandable why you interpretted people's reactions to mean that.

I meant you no disrespect in the slightest, as I said before I know this place should be open to debate.

Back