• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Capitals

third man girl

New challenge for the writers out there:

I believe that I read that it's not acceptable, when writing a novel, to use capital letters to signify shouting.

I already use italics for thought/emphasis/names of books & films/mild shouting.

How do I make my characters SHOUT LOUDLY?

PS I don't want to overdo the exclamation marks !!!!!!!

Third Man Girl

In my humblest of humble opinion, I think using Caps, the way you did right there, is just downright ugly, and I don't think I've ever seen it in a book.

Cheers, Martin :D

Truthfully, I'm not sure if I've ever seen it in a book, either. But with email being so prevalent, it does get the point across.

Oh yes, I don't deny that. I just find it the least elegant solution. I prefer Italics or bold (or, as I said, both).

CHEERS, MARTIN :D (Not very attractive, is it?)

Originally posted by Martin
I don't think I've ever seen it in a book.

That's the problem! I keep scurrying around inside my books trying to find the solutions. Either I can't find what I'm looking for or I get ten different variations.

Someone out there must know the solution to:

(a) punctuation
(b) grammar
(c) dialogue
(d) Martin's boredom
(e) Phil's work ethic :)

Third Man Girl

I have never seen bold type used in a novel before either. Why don't you use words to convey the fact that he is shouting very loudly, eg

"I'm shouting!" he shouted very loudly/screamed/yelled etc, etc.

Sorry that's the best I can do - if I see anything inspirational while I'm reading I will let you know.

Originally posted by headpodd
Why don't you use words to convey the fact that he is shouting very loudly, eg

"I'm shouting!" he shouted very loudly/screamed/yelled etc, etc.

Okay. I'll give an example:

Boy meets girl in (very) loud nightclub, where voices tend to rise and fall in volume. Yes?

Boy asks, "What AGE are you?"
Girl replies, "NineTEEN next MONTH."

Sorry that's the best I can do - if I see anything inspirational while I'm reading I will let you know. [/B]

Appreciated. Thanks

Third Man Girl

Originally posted by Ashlea

And here is a link to Amazon.co.uk, which has the Chicago available as well as an Oxford variant which may be more appropriate for you:

I like the sound of 'The Oxford variant'. It has a nice ring to it :)

I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Third Man Girl

Well, when I think about the books I've read its the context that gives the major clues about volume. For exaple, if two characters are conversing during a mortar barrage or they're in a wind tunnel, or they hurtling through the outer atmosphere about to burn up then you'd expect them to be screaming. In order to fortify that, the author tends to give clues like "***!" he screamed. Or: the noise of their descent was deafening. Even screaming they couldn't make out each others words. Or: The noise of the train was so loud we had to yell our questions and answers... etc. In fact, describing sounds adds to the background detail. The sea is just water and sand and maybe a sunset/sunrise--depending on your coastal location--without segulls crying, waves crashing, children laughing, ships blowing their whistles, the sound of the wind, etc. (Don't forget the smell of rotting fish or garbage and the texture of the sand, but thats not sound.)

I hope you don't take this wrong--for this is merely my opinion--but I don't think its a syntax issue that you can resolve by reading a manual. Its more of a writing style sort of a thing. Sorry to go on so long, this just struck me as a great writing topic.

Having re-read my original question, I can see that I didn't explain myself too clearly. Sorry :eek:

What I am trying to achieve, is a change of volume, mid-sentence .

There doesn't necessarily have to be background noise.

For instance, a mother shouting at a child who is about to step off the pavement in front of a truck:

"Stephen! Stephen! STEPHEN!"

or, a person who has just been startled:

"OH BLAST*! What a fright you gave me!"

(*please replace with swear word of choice) :)

Third Man Girl

How about giving the person an action as they say something: throwing something against the wall, banging a hand off the table, or just let their face redden (or eyes arch) that little more than usual.

Hmmmmm :)

Personally, I would go with what ever you find pleasing and screw the rest of the world. Give a big finger to the style manuals. If you want to go with capitals, then go for it. I mean, it's your work. It's your art. As with everything in this life, you can't please everybody. Somebody, somewhere, is not going to like the way you convey shouting/voice raising. You can't really win. Go with what is pleasing to your eye and let the cookie crumbs tumble where they may :)

Just my 2 and a half pence worth!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Exactly. As an example of doing what the hell you like can I point you in the direction of Joyce's Finnegans Wake or to Scottish poet Edwin Morgan's 'concrete' poetry...

Yeah, I have to agree with no bold, no caps. It's not usually done. The sound reference should come in the narrative. You could say something like:
"Stephen!" She called again, this time her voice loud and shrill. "Stephen!"

Ok, not a great example, but hopefully it makes sense.

Originally posted by Mile-O-Phile
How about giving the person an action as they say something: throwing something against the wall, banging a hand off the table, or just let their face redden (or eyes arch) that little more than usual.

What if it's dark? :( And he's up to his neck in quicksand? :(

Third Man Girl

Back