• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Characteristics of an awesome library

I think there should be a separate area for Internet-connected computers. It's one thing to have a computer or two for looking up books, but in my small branch library- which is in an historical building so there's no hope of expansion-there are four computer desks on one side of the main counter and two on the other, and it's awkward to navigate around them, especially in winter when one is bundled up.

Librarians who don't feed children candy and other foods. The limited funds could be put toward something more worthwhile... like, oh just off the top of my head here, books. Our librarians complain about not having enough money to purchase cleaning supplies, but they seem to have enough for pointless toys and sweets.

In my ideal fantasy library:

A great big sprawling building, I want to get lost, literally. Give me winding passages, a big courtyard and every section of the library in a different room.

The central courtyard should have a small bubbling fountain, and a large tree one that can be climbed in, and there to the right of the fountain and just of centre from the tree a small gazebo, and I think three stone benches should finish it off.

Mmm, we need a coffee shop. There under that large staircase. Make it dim, add the scent of cigars and leather.

Ok we need some large doors for the entrance. Solid wood, with big brass handles. For the main room (we can make this the administration room, book checkout etc.) we need colour. Stained glass windows, large pieces of art, and a high faulting roof, ooo and tapestries.

Everywhere in the library should be comfortable places to sit. And in the classics section: a large fireplace (including smoke alarms, fire retardant spray and every possible precaution against setting fire to the ...*shudder* ...books), and big leather chairs.

Ok I have schematics, when can we start construction? :D

Minniemal said:
:mad: You dare to speak of libraries at a time like this?
"temporary Minneapolis Public Central Library closed December 3, 2005
New Central Library opens May 20, 2006"

What, Minniemal, you can't drive out to a library in the burbs?! :p Besides, one day while I was in college I was there and saw a bum sprawled out under a table and everyone was just standing there staring at him.

When I first saw this thread I was thinking about a library that you have in your own house. I think about that every time I'm thinking of my dream house. I always have to include a huge fireplace, lots of dark wood, floor to ceiling shelves, and a secret passageway that you have to pull on a book to open the door! I love that stuff...

When I first saw this thread I was thinking about a library that you have in your own house. I think about that every time I'm thinking of my dream house. I always have to include a huge fireplace, lots of dark wood, floor to ceiling shelves, and a secret passageway that you have to pull on a book to open the door! I love that stuff...[/QUOTE]

And don't forget the huge globe and those green shaded lamps..and a cat or two, and several oversized chairs or sofas, and a small refridgerator stocked with snacks. I like dogs too, so maybe I'd have one of those instead of the cats..can't decide which breed though.

And don't forget the huge globe and those green shaded lamps..

Oh I love those!. I had one, but it broke.

and a cat or two, and several oversized chairs or sofas, and a small refridgerator stocked with snacks. I like dogs too, so maybe I'd have one of those instead of the cats..can't decide which breed though.

I think it ought to be a Persian. Those things are big and gruff, the type of cat that doesn't pester you, but watches pompously from afar, debating as to whether or not it will let you pet it.

i wouldn't say that a guest speaker/book clubs would be important for me.. the new library 30 min away from me is pretty awesome. huge selections, huge building, lots of desks/chairs so there's an amount of privacy. the kiddy section is kind of secluded, so its quiet in the rest of library. plus, theres a "quiet" room with desks and i'm assuming its soundproof and whatnot. i really like it, i wish it was much closer to me.

I like having my local library a mere two miles away. If the van breaks down, I can walk to town to the library if need be.

Speaking from experience I would have to say the most important part of the library would be selection. Not even screaming kids are as bad as having no books you want to read.

abecedarian said:
When I first saw this thread I was thinking about a library that you have in your own house. I think about that every time I'm thinking of my dream house. I always have to include a huge fireplace, lots of dark wood, floor to ceiling shelves, and a secret passageway that you have to pull on a book to open the door! I love that stuff...

We have a room that has a stone fireplace, floor to ceiling. The fireplace is flanked on each side with a Cherry wood book case that also goes from floor to ceiling although the ceilings are only 9 feet high. The roon has 2 leather wing chairs and a down sofa that is very soft. Sorry, the refrigerator is in the next room. :) If I told you we had a secret passageway it wouldn't be secret. :)

muggle said:
We have a room that has a stone fireplace, floor to ceiling. The fireplace is flanked on each side with a Cherry wood book case that also goes from floor to ceiling although the ceilings are only 9 feet high. The roon has 2 leather wing chairs and a down sofa that is very soft. Sorry, the refrigerator is in the next room. :) If I told you we had a secret passageway it wouldn't be secret. :)

I really hope you're making this up muggle! Because if you're not I am going to have a serious case of library envy!:D

Back