• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

lorrekarloff said:
Johnny Depp is good-but can he pull off Willy Wonka?-I'm not so sure. I'll probably see it, my son may want to also, but I might wait for the DVD.
I totally agree with you here. I was just thinking along the very same lines yesterday, when I saw the movie poster.

I'm currently in the middle of C&TCF, in addition to another book. Will definitely finish it before seeing the movie.

ds

I saw the trailer for the first time this weekend and I was a bit surprised at first because it looked so different from what I had pictured but it looked really good. There are only a few movies that Johnny Depp has been in that I didn't like.

I just saw a short commercial for this last night. Johnny Depp looks scary and kind of 'back from the dead' looking! I don't know if Willy Wonka is supposed to look that weird. And my daughter saw the trailer and said that the oompa-loompas are scarier than in the first film.

I think we'll definitely wait for the DVD, unless everyone starts raving about it. If anyone sees it, maybe you can let us skeptics know if its worth the $$ to go see. Thanks! :)

I think it is supposed to be dark and scary! Roald Dahl books are dark, scary, and strange. I think Tim Burton was a great choice to direct the move because he can bring that across to the screen.

After all, think about it. The movie is essentially about some kids that go to a chocolate factory and get killed in bizarre ways. You don't get more strange and scary that that :)

Wabbit, stop scaring the kids! :) Nobody got killed in the factory. They got 'inconvenienced' in a lot of ways, but everyone walked out alive. Plus it was their own fault for not listening to instructions.

C&tCF is not dark - at least it isn't in the book. It was funny and filled with chocolatey wholesome goodness.

Well, the oompa-loompas are strange creatures. It is frightening that there is a species that subsist totally on chocolate.

ds

SillyWabbit said:
Well... it's kinda dark for a kids book, isn't it? :)
Yeah, it is dark. If you consider creatures that keep eating chocolates and not get fat 'dark'.

Come to think of it, I suppose that it is dark. Dark for a lot of girls.

ds

Are you calling me a girl? Wanna fight? :cool:

Do not underestimate the power of the bunny side!

*HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKK* <-- deep breathing in an evil way.

Oh, oops. Unexpected turn of events.

Dark for girls who obviously wouldn't have the kind of metabolism that oompa-loompas have in staying fit after mountains of chocolate.

You, my Lord Darth Wabbit, is no girl, of course. Please don't kick my butt.... [whimpers in fear - fear for the wabbit, that is. He seems to have problems breathing]

ds

Ah yeah, I do have a problem breathing. It makes my voice sound all kinda evil.

Oh, alright. I shall not engage you in combat this time! We shall never know if the semi peeled banana style is more powerful than the drunken wabbit style :D

I watched this last night, and I was quite disappointed. :( I just thought the little moral twist at the end (ie. how family is important etc), was tacky. :rolleyes: I also didn't think that Johnny Depp made a good Willy Wonka. Well, maybe it wasn't Depp's performance, but how the character was written. In the book, Willy Wonka is an eccentric, strange, but quite jolly person. In this movie he was just a miserable git who looked like a drag queen. :rolleyes:

Back