• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Children's Fantasy

Breelander

There's been a giant leap in the number of children's fantasy books since HP and the LOTR movies. Has anyone read the Artemis Fowl series? Or Jenny Nimmo's Charlie Bone books? Or the Eragon books? Or The City of Ember and The People of Sparks, by Jeanne Duprau? Sorry, but there's a lot of fantasy books I've heard about lately, and I'd like to know if anyone's read them and what their opinion on them is. Oh, and has anyone read the Borrible trilogy?

By the way, has anyone read Cornelia Funke's books? The Thief Lord and Inkheart are awesome!

I've read the Borrible Trilogy. Finally a book that tells the dark truth about the Wombles. Read it as an adult and have to conclude that it's just too good for children.

i read the first Artemis Fowl book. I had trouble relating to Artemis, who is a 12-y/o supergenious & criminal mastermind to boot...though I think children would like to imagine themselves as being so smart they can outthink adults. Artemis does, even with his supergenious mind, have the typical flaws of a 12-y/o, which makes the story more interesting. I have to say, though, I much prefer HP.

Have you looked into Diana Wynne Jones? She started writing childrens' fantasy in the 70's, and she's quite good.

My absolute fav writer of children's or young adult fantasy is Jennifer St. Claire. I loved all of her books. She has a small series out about a vampire, another about a young girl with very paranormal friends, and several shorts that are fun reads. Her books are available through an Australian publishing house in electronic form, with the exception of one but I can't quickly remember the name of the publisher on that one. I found it by accident. I want it, but haven't gotten it yet.

VTChEwbecca said:
i read the first Artemis Fowl book. I had trouble relating to Artemis, who is a 12-y/o supergenious & criminal mastermind to boot...though I think children would like to imagine themselves as being so smart they can outthink adults. Artemis does, even with his supergenious mind, have the typical flaws of a 12-y/o, which makes the story more interesting. I have to say, though, I much prefer HP.

Ditto. Wasn't inspired to read the rest of them, tho not a bad read.

I've read all the Artemis Fowl books, and really liked them. I've read The Thief Lord but didn't like it at all. I preferred Stravaganza:City of Masks by Mary Hoffman, The Divide by Elizabeth Kay and Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve - they're all excellent. :)

I've read Artemis Fowl book which I didn't enjoyed it. I have a Charlie Bone book which are not yet to read but will do it one day. Also you should read 'The Spiderwick' books by Holly Black, are the fantasy in it. It is quite simple to read and also quick to read as well.

Kaz, I meant to ask you about the Spiderwick chronicles and what you think of them. I'm thinking of trying them out (I'm always on the lookout for great childrens' fantasy, due to having two friends teaching the children/YA groups).

VTChEwbecca said:
Kaz, I meant to ask you about the Spiderwick chronicles and what you think of them. I'm thinking of trying them out (I'm always on the lookout for great childrens' fantasy, due to having two friends teaching the children/YA groups).

It's about Spiderwick family move to Spiderwick Mansion for new life. A twin boys discovered a guide book and found out they live there where the goblins, elves and giant lives there in their area. It's fun to read. I recommeded the children will enjoying it especially about 9 - 11 years old. Hope it helps.

children's fiction

Yes! My son loved Eragon and the Spiderwick chronicles-too bad there are only 5 books in the series, finished the first 4 waithing for #5.Only complaint is they were too short!!! We now know that kids can read in depth books thanks to HP. :)
He loves Charlie bone. We just started a new series called the Roman mysteries. About four children solving a mystery and so far there are 4 books in the series, basically historical fiction around the time of the Mt. Vesuvius eruption. I started a series called the Wyrd museum by robin jarvis. I think its an austrailian writer and have only been able to read the first and I just loved it. I'm at work on my lunch break and don't have my list with me right now so I can't think of all the others I really liked off the top of my head at the moment. Maybe later if I have time.
TTFN
bookbug:)

I read Artemis Fowl and Charlie Bone, and I enjoyed both series. I also read The Spiderwick Chronicles and liked them, although same complaint as bookbug, as soon as you start to get into the story it's over and you have to wait until the next one. I really enjoyed Tithe, by the same author as the Spiderwick books. Has anyone read it? It's a modern fairy tale set in New Jersey; faeries, kelpies, knights, etc. Inkheart was great - can't wait for the sequal. Does magemanda know, is there going to be a book after Abhorsen? Because I think there was definitely room for another one - what about Lirael and what's-his-name-the-guy-with-the-metal-sliver-in-him? It seemed like they could have gotten together or something ... anyway.

My daughter introduced me to the Lemony Snickett series called A Series of Unfortunate Events. They were easy, fast and enjoyable reads. Although they aren't quite fantasy, I'd be more more inclined to place them in this genre. Anyone else read them?

Oh, me, me! You're right, there's no magic or dragons or wizards, but it's not exactly true to reality. The adults are super, super stupid, for one thing. And some of the inventions that Violet comes up with are not quite plausible. Still, they're very enjoyable - full of mystery, as we're not sure if the Baudelaire parents are actually dead, if the Baudelaire siblings will defeat the super-evil Count Olaf, and if Lemony Snicket is on the good or evil side of the VFD schism. I especially love his writing style; the way he explains things, and occasionally goes off on tangents. Did you know, there's a movie coming out? It stars Jim Carrey as the insidious Count Olaf.

Yes, my daughter has made me watch the trailor for it 50,000 times already. I love the way he uses a word and then gives the meaning for that word. Not only are people reading his books, but they are expanding their vocabulary as well.

That's very true, a word which here means the opposite of false. I also really enjoyed The Unauthorized Autobiography - the way it had a reversable cover, and the absurd photos of random people, the half burnt newspaper articles, and the index that sends you around in circles.

I mentioned this in the Harry Potter forum, so I hope I'm not being too repetive. There is a new fantasy series for young people that I highly recommend: Dragons in Our Midst by Bryan Davis.

The first book is called Raising Dragons. It came out in July. The second is called The Candlestone, and it will be out in October.

Check out the author's website. http://www.dragonsinourmidst.com

Personally, I thought the following YA fantasy books were quite good:

Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen (Garth Nix)

The Golden Compass/The Subtle Knife/The Amber Spyglass (Philip Pullman)

Mortal Engines/Predator's Gold (Philip Reeve)

Speaking of too good for children, Phillip Pullman deserves more than just a passing reference here. Although his Dark Materials trilogy centres around preadolescent characters, there's enough serious matter to keep a philosophy graduate student busy for a couple of terms. It's first rate writing with an exciting story, wonderful and horrible characters, and plenty of substance to sink your teeth into.

buddi

Back