• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Chuck Palahniuk

Rogue said:
I like the way Palahniuk repeats passages and sentences to give them more impact.

Rogue, that was one of the things that stuck in my head about Choke - ("Because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it" is the one that I remember) - the only Palahniuk I've read so far and really enjoyed, so at some point I'll look into his other offerings.

I've had Invisible Monsters and Survivor recommended to me (and obviously, Fight Club) - from what I can gather, Lullaby and Diary aren't his best. But I'll keep an open mind until I've read them.

I can see the comparison with Coupland that someone made further up this thread, someone else I've read bits and pieces from and need to dig further into.

L2

"I know this because Tyler knows this."

The things which get repeated are the clue to the story.

I read 'Diary' at the start of the year and thought it was ok, I think the review on the back hit's the nail on the head perfectly with the quote:

"Part Rosemary's Baby, part The Wicker Man...'

So if you've enjoyed those films then you should also enjoy the book :)

i'm so glad this thread is fairly current-- i just did a mad spree of palahniuk reading and i can't get his books out of my head.

what i love the most is how the world in his books are dirty--there's grit and dust and fingernail clipping and threads coming out of your buttons. he doesn't gloss over anything, does it? the earlier description of "sometyimes uncomfortable" hit the nail on the head.

spolier question (survivor): was the ending supposed to be unclear? or are we supposed to assume he lived because of the title and the hints that he'll find a way out? any thoughts on this, before my braion wastes away trying to sort this out? (highlight to view: i couldn't get it black, so i went with white instead: equal opportnuity hightlighting!! ;) )

Palahniuk's Best

I think his best are:

Survivor
Choke
Fight Club

I remember reading somewhere that Invisble Monsters is in line to be the next film adaptation of his work.

I finally read his short story, Punchdrunk, in that issue of Playboy. It was good; really enjoyed it. Although, it just reminds me of why I don't particularly like short stories (too short!).

There's a great commentary by him, and the screenwriter of the film, on the Fight Club dvd. Very informative and entertaining at the same time.

There's a great commentary by him, and the screenwriter of the film, on the Fight Club dvd. Very informative and entertaining at the same time.
Thanks Lenny! I'll have to check that out. ;)

There will be another short story by him in the May 2005 issue of Playboy titled Foot Work.

I love Chuck, he's such a whacked out writer. I've only read Invisable Monsters and Fight Club and I'm looking forward to reading more.

I really want too! lol I hear it's very good, too bad I don't have a job anymore and my library doesn't carry any of his books aside from Fight Club.

Haunted

Our obsession with celebrity takes it on the chin in Palahniuk's new horror show about 17 wannabes who sign on for a writers retreat and end up in hell. A Vincent Price-like workshop leader locks the cohort in an abandoned theatre where they must survive on freeze-dried food. These pilgrims don't stand a chance against their own demons. They tell one another vicious stories from their lives (two of the tales were published in Playboy), but the poor souls have little more to offer than a raw desire to be famous. Each helps create an increasingly grotesque story in a competition to be the biggest victim in the movie about their ordeal. Palahniuk's anti-Survivor drama is funny, always on the edge of reality and bloodied byt he profound horror of narcissism. (Doubleday) -Rebecca t. Miller

I assume the two stories mentioned are Footwork and Punchdrunk. They were really good. I'm really excited about this new novel.

I bought Choke today. I've never read anything by Palahniuk and I think this is good one to start off with.

Back