• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Chuck Palahniuk

Libra6Poe said:
5 more days!!! :D

It's already out. Release date was moved up.

"Guts" was the story someone was probably citing...pretty bad story at that.
I think Chuck will continue his extreme sled ride downhill.

And Yes, _Choke_ is a good book to start with.

jay said:
It's already out. Release date was moved up.
oooh... :eek: hehe, well i suppose i feel a bit embarassed for my excitement :p but that's awesome. I'm really glad its out now.

What about "guts"? I haven't read that...

Libra6Poe said:
oooh... :eek: hehe, well i suppose i feel a bit embarassed for my excitement :p but that's awesome. I'm really glad its out now.

Gawd-awful cover to it...but yes, you can NOW run out and get it.
Or if you want a signed copy you can order one from the book shop, St. Helen’s, that CP frequents.

www.sthelensbookshop.com

(tell them jay from www.amyhempel.com sent ya)

What about "guts"? I haven't read that...

That was the first story Playboy printed that is now in _Haunted_. I'd tell you I'd send you a copy (of the story), but since you can now get the book, that would be silly.

This is also the story Chuck was reading at his appearances last year (two years ago??) where people where [apparently] passing out, seizing and all that. Which is absurd to the extreme and a bit of exhibitionism, me thinks.

Anyway, good luck finding your copy, but I imagine all the major stores are stocking it.

J

Oh, very cool. Thank you. I really appreciate the links.

Was it really Guts that was in Playboy? Because this year, in the March and May issue of Playboy, it was Punchdrunk and Foot Work and I assumed that those would be the two that are from Haunted. (But of course, I'm not sure ;) I'll check it out when I get the book)

Libra6Poe said:
Was it really Guts that was in Playboy? Because this year, in the March and May issue of Playboy, it was Punchdrunk and Foot Work and I assumed that those would be the two that are from Haunted. (But of course, I'm not sure ;) I'll check it out when I get the book)

I haven't followed the magazine every month, but indeed "Guts" was in it, although last year. I didn't know he had 2 appearances this year. I know he was meant to be in the February issue but then surprisingly the brilliant story "The Afterlife" by brilliant Amy Hempel was in it instead, so I bought it.
And I picked up the most recent issue (or was that last month) for their little (and sadly too little) Hunter Thompson farewell thing.

But either way, it's all in _Haunted_ now and Hempel’s story is in the newly released _The Dog of the Marriage_.

Heh, my boyfriend has a subscription to it :p I looooooove Playboy! I love the articles and the fiction. My boyfriend loves breasts. lol... I'm just being weird - he likes the articles too. Anyway, I was wondering what issue Guts was in so I can see if we have it. I think we've had the subscription for about a year and a half, so we may have it. I'd like to read it - searching for it through our Playboys won't be necessary of course if it is in Haunted. Damn, I really need to get a copy soon.

Guts versus Breasts

Libra6Poe said:
Heh, my boyfriend has a subscription to it :p I looooooove Playboy! I love the articles and the fiction. My boyfriend loves breasts. lol... I'm just being weird - he likes the articles too. Anyway, I was wondering what issue Guts was in so I can see if we have it

I don’t recall ever seeing breasts in any recent issue of Playboy…something *almost* resembling breasts but airbrushed and usually coupled with some dimwitt, probably with a tattoo (defined as stupid and verrry unsexy and way past “cool” now) and maybe a very passé belly button piercing…but then again I try to stay away from that publication.

Anyway, March 2004 for “Guts”.

I just got a copy of Choke in the mail from a friend along with a copy of Foucault's Pendulum. I'm trying to decide which to read next. They both look great in their own individual ways. Hm..

Jay said:
I don’t recall ever seeing breasts in any recent issue of Playboy…something *almost* resembling breasts but airbrushed and usually coupled with some dimwitt, probably with a tattoo (defined as stupid and verrry unsexy and way past “cool” now) and maybe a very passé belly button piercing…
Yes, they've definitely gone air brush-happy. There were these pics taken of Tara Reid on the red carpet with her left breast hanging out... and Playboy airbrushed her surgery scars (I saw some untouched pics before Playboy came out with it). And yes, there are a lack of breasts... not just the airbrushed ones, but well... in this one issue with Paris Hilton on the cover and a title very misleading...the issue had many pics of many different celebs and of course, most of them were fully dressed.

I really like the fact that Jenny McCarthy always talks about the airbrushing. With the issue of her on the cover, she goes into detail about what was airbrushed in which photo.

Aside from all of that, I don't mind Playboy. I really do enjoy the articles ;)

(I apologize for my horrible wording... I haven't slept and it's 4:31 in the morning... I can't seem to be able to put a sentence together properly :( )

But thank you. I'll check out that March 2004 issue. We should have it.

Libra6Poe said:
(I apologize for my horrible wording... I haven't slept and it's 4:31 in the morning... I can't seem to be able to put a sentence together properly :( )

No problem, we’ve all gone though a stage where talking about breasts keeps us awake at night.
Get some sleep, I’ll air-brush some sheep for you…

But thank you. I'll check out that March 2004 issue. We should have it.

If you don’t and you’re like one of them thar collecting peoples, I can look to see if I still have my copy. If it didn’t meet the fate of recycled paper, I can send it to you.

Nighty Night.

I have read "Survivor" and "Fight Club" and really like his books but find that they peak about two thirds of the way in and tend to just wind down. Does anyone agree with this??

on "Haunted"

Jay's "Haunted" Review
:eek: Wow... your review was very eloquently stated. I enjoyed reading it. I must say that it is quite discouraging and I may just have to skip over this book and just be satisfied with the short stories in Playboy.

Lenny, have you finished reading it? I'd also like to know what you thought of it.

Thank you both. ;)

Jay and I have a friendly disagreement about the quality of Chuck's writing. While there's definitely peaks and valleys (within 'Haunted' for instance), I enjoy his style. I think 'Survivor' is easily Chuck's best book, but I don't think his turn to the gothic is such a bad thing. I enjoyed 'Lullaby' and 'Diary' had its moments.

For that matter, much of 'Haunted' is not anything that fits the 'horror' genre. 'Transgressive,' perhaps, if that's a genre. As I pointed out in my Palahniuk write-up, for an author who declared the death of transgressive fiction years ago, he's sure writing a lot of it.

In fairness, maybe the immediate aftermath of 9/11 looked like the end of the road for that sort of thing. It scrubbed the movie adaptation of 'Survivor' at the time, and Chuck has said he knew of books on editor's desks, ready to go to composing, that got the axe when the towers came down.

The cover of 'Haunted' is unfortunate to me, because it led me to expect a 'Yellow Wallpaper' setup along the lines of 'Diary,' but if 'Punch Drunk' isn't transgressive fiction, then the genre doesn't exist.

Libra6Poe said:
I must say that it is quite discouraging and I may just have to skip over this book and just be satisfied with the short stories in Playboy.

As I told Miss Poe privately, I don’t mean to discourage anyone from reading _Haunted_ just because I disliked it. There are worse ways to spend $25 and far less appealing writers you could support. If you don’t like it then you can always ‘release it’ via Bookcrossing or donate it to a library. Or maybe get a few bucks back from a used shop.

And I especially say if you are indeed satisfied with the Playboy stories than more than likely you’ll find _Haunted_ an enjoyable read.
“Guts” I found to be just plain silly and more of a non-event than a worth-passing-out-over nifty story. The other 2 I didn’t read pre-_Haunted_ but they are still part of the whole of my sour taste feeling over-all with _Haunted_.

Nice to see a Lobster appearance here…

j

As much as I hate to admit it, Haunted has been a disappointment so far. I've got about 4 stories to go till the end and I've enjoyed the wraparound story more than I have the short stories themselves. :(

I've been following this thread on Chuck Palahniuk and when I saw Fight Club on the library shelf, I grabbed it. I never saw the movie but I read it in nearly one day. I liked it in its own twisted way. I think I want to see the movie version now. Haunted was on the shelf next to it but I didn't pick it up, as I had enough books that day. I'll probably get it on my next trip. I also hope to read more of his writing, like Choke and Survivor.

Well, I may just go ahead and get it anyway. I really would like to check out and see how I'll like it myself. (Like movies...) I was excited about it coming out... so why not?
There are worse ways to spend $25 and far less appealing writers you could support.
Right on! ;)

Stephen said:
This is the author of 'Fight Club', a brilliant movie. Has anybody read any of his other books (Survivor, Choke, Invisible Monsters and Lullaby). I must get round to reading these books and was wondering if anybody has read them yet? Are they as good as the film Fight Club?

Many thanks.

In many respects, Jim Uhls fixed a lot of problems when he wrote the screenplay for 'Fight Club.' It's a strong first novel, and I recommend reading it, but the movie handled some things better. I do wish the film had included the perfume incident, but the logic of the collagen trust and some other angles of the book are lacking.

'Survivor' is Palahniuk's best in my view. Very funny, very sharp social commentary, excellently paced as well.

'Choke' and 'Lullaby' are both excellent as well, though not quite on par with 'Survivor.'

'Diary' has it's moments but is a definite notch down from the rest in my book. I had trouble finishing 'Invisible Monsters,' and it's the only book by Chuck I just never recommend. But I've known others who thought it was devilishly clever so I wouldn't say don't read it.

'Haunted' is a mixed bag: the so-called poems stink, and the connective tissue that makes it a 'novel of short stories' leaves a lot to be desired The short stories within it are frequently brilliant, however. 'Ambition,' 'Punch Drunk' and 'Guts' stand out in particular.

His non-fiction, well, it depends on the reader. I've been interested in relocating to Portland, OR for a long time, and have an appreciation for the Caucophany Society, folk art, and lunatics. So 'Fugitives and Refugees' was really fun for me, though it led to some marital stress when I wanted to start gluing stuff to my pickup. 'Stranger Than Fiction' has some interesting pieces, and some pieces that give you the 'story behind the story' for some of Chuck's fiction.

So that's my take. There's peaks and valleys, but I hardly ever 'read through' an author with that many books out. It's easy to read everything by, say, Harper Lee...

A new Chuck essay can be found HERE

‘tis about the gawd-awful film with the even more gawd-awful Jack Nicholson, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest”.
Pretty good book though…

Back