• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Classical Ranking

-Carlos-

Which of the following classical books would you recommend highly?

• The Aeneid
  • The Iliad
  • Ivanhoe
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Wuthering Heights
  • The Last of the Mohicans
  • Oliver Twist
  • The Prince & The Art of War
  • The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
  • The Portrait of a Lady Walden

Thanks!

The Iliad...but make sure you don't get the prose version...get the verse translation (try Richard Lattimore's version).

The Art of War is a smooth, flowing read. You can definitely see the east-west gap in reading it and then reading The Prince. The latter is more concrete, while the former is more speculative, in a typical eastern way. You'll enjoy both works, I highly recommend them.

I've only read Wuthering Heights, and don't really have much to say about it. I'm not really a classics girl, though. Poe is always value for money.

1. The Count of Monte Cristo
2. Ivanhoe
3. The Iliad
4. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
5. The Aeneid
6. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
7. The Last of the Mohicans
8. Oliver Twist
9. The Prince & The Art of War (why are they grouped together?)
10. Wuthering Heights
11. Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
12. Portrait of a Lady & Walden (I have not read the former, I want to, but I find Thoreau tedious. Why are these two grouped together, again?)

I can say for certain that the Count of Monte-Cristo and Ivanhoe were by so far the most enjoyable of the lot for me that there is no question on those two. I hope this helps :)

Back