• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Confessions of a Print Addict

When my husband gets home! he says in one breath 'Hello and what book have we found to die for today' :eek:
Going to fool him one day and not get one! ;) well might :( one day!

But not today, as just got the Mammoth cheese for 75p
:D

Hesitantly Stands up.

Hello my name is Cabrasopa i think i am also a 'printaholic'. Can't pass a bookshop without going in and inevitably coming out having bought something which goes on the shelf with the mound of other books still to be read.

Sits down again.

Cabrasopa :cool:

Delta_doh! said:
Stands up, with hand up :(

Sits down again
with Book :)

"sorry be on my way out, but i wanted to say that i like your avatar... it is soo cute... oh and nice answer... :D"

OK I confess I am an addict!! Even when I'm not reading books I'm thinking about books. Which books I want to buy or read. And I spend loads of time looking on the library website for books to read....that's hours of fun!! LOL I was an avid reader by around grade 2. I read and read and never stopped. Don't think I ever will. The funny thing is that no one else in my family really reads that much. Except my Grandmother(she is 92 and reads a lot!) so maybe I got that from her. Oh well...so that's my story, happy reading everyone. :)

I think im addicted to reading.. and im proud!

I go to school each day with a book in my pocket, I get laughed at of course but I dont care. If I do not have a book with me anywhere I go, I feel depressed and if i have any money i will probably go to a charity shop and buy another book. Someone once told me that I was addicted to reading, i think that she was right, but I don't care there are far, far worse things to be addicted to.

Thanks for the encouragement!

And I can hardly believe that story about the school librarian... are you serious, clueless??? My God, if you are... I... as an idealistic librarian-in-training I just shudder to think about it.

KristoCat said:
And I can hardly believe that story about the school librarian... are you serious, clueless??? My God, if you are... I... as an idealistic librarian-in-training I just shudder to think about it.

Don’t worry. I am not sure she had any training. She was just a teacher that was given that role because someone had to do it. Maybe she even hated books. I think she definitely hated anything that was imaginative.
The other puzzling thing about that library was that only student in the last year were allowed to borrow the books on the top shelf behind the librarian desk but, as they kept expanding the school and adding year taught, those books were always out of my reach. It was so stupid. I was allowed to read any of my parents’ books, but I was always too young to read those books from the top shelf of the library. I used to dream about them. Later I changed schools, so I never managed to borrow one of them.

My theory about kids reading books is that if a kid is old enough to be interested in it, he or she is probably old enough to read it. My parents never tried to censor anything I read either, so I got hooked on Stephen King around the age of 11... but I consider myself unwarped by the experience :p

It's really too bad about your school librarian. Who knows how many kids she discouraged from reading, and shut them out of such a wonderful world. It reminds me of that quote on the Simpsons, where Principal Skinner says to Bart, "I've received notice that children are using their imaginations, and I'm here to put a stop to it!"

Hi I am alliterati and I am also a printaholic.

My addiction started before I knew how to read and got 'worse' when I learned. I go the library whenever I get the chance. I have more books than shelving. I've eschewed other things to read. I do it everywhere..in the bath, on the bus...I don't complain when my doctor is late for our appointments because I always bring a book to her office.

Hi, I am Andreza and I am a printaholic too!

It all started on my 4th birthday when one of my aunties gave me a book as a gift, it was a book that basically teaches to read and write, the sounds, the letters and syllables, etc. I don't know how you call a book like that in English, in Portuguese it is a "Cartilha". Anyway, I would not leave my mom in peace and, thanks to her endless patience, in a few months I could read. From then on I have not stopped. I always have at least one book on the go and I read everywhere (yes, even in the bathroom :eek:) and whenever I have the time.
I think I just realized how bad it was on my last birthday when 80% of the gifts I got had something to do with books. LOL Page markers, gift certificates to book stores, a clip-to-the-book light and even one of those things that you can clamp the book to so you can read without having to hold the book open. :rolleyes:

ps: thanks for bringing this fun topic back to life alliterati! :)

I finally hit bottom when I caught myself reading a People magazine.

That's not the bottom. The bottom is reading those alien-baby-born-in-Tennessee tabloids during supermarket check out. Or not hearing what your grandchildren say at breakdfast because you are absorbed in reading the fine print on the cereal boxes.

Good luck with living with your addiction - there is no cure.

That's not the bottom. The bottom is reading those alien-baby-born-in-Tennessee tabloids during supermarket check out. Or not hearing what your grandchildren say at breakdfast because you are absorbed in reading the fine print on the cereal boxes.

Good luck with living with your addiction - there is no cure.

You have to admit, those tabloid headlines ARE fun:p

oh no i'm addicted too!

"stand up"

Hello I'm opalescent and I must be a printaholic.
I have all the same symptoms as all of you. Jitters when stuck with nothing to read. Books in every conceivable place known to man. But I think I have done the unforgivable. I think my children (girl 6 boy 8) are on there way to addiction also. Their first real toy was an old paperback dictionary.
( don't worry there were pages missing, I was giving it a new life) And the other day I over heard them telling each other that they wanted to growup to be the worlds best readers.

HELP!!!! I'm a bad mother!!
What can I do??
" sit down tears streaming":(

That's not the bottom. The bottom is reading those alien-baby-born-in-Tennessee tabloids during supermarket check out. Or not hearing what your grandchildren say at breakfast because you are absorbed in reading the fine print on the cereal boxes.

What about sitting in the bathroom reading moisturizer, shampoo and conditioner labels because you forgot to bring a book?! :eek: Or trying to read while you brush your teeth and getting water all over your book? :eek:

I am sick...

:D :D

Hello. I am the BeerWench and I too have a serious problem. Given the name, you probably think I have more than one;) . However, the only real problem I have hits me when I cannot get my hands on the printed word. I have found myself reading things that are of no interest to me, such as stereo instructions, TV Guide:eek: when I already know what's not on the tube and, as already mentioned by another, miscellaneous product ingredient labels (I can spell methylchloroisothiazolinone without looking anymore :D), because I forgot or finished my book(s).

There is an ongoing family joke regarding this issue. My mom says that when I was a kid the only way she could punish me was to take away my books. She recently recalled one such incident saying, "I took all your books off your shelf and you cried and cried and said, 'No, mommy, not my books. Take the toys or just spank me, PLEASE!!' and I had to leave the room because I couldn't stop myself from cracking up at the fact that, to you, a spanking was a far lesser evil than leaving you with nothing to read."

I read just about everywhere and nearly all the time. Almost all the gifts I receive from friends and relatives are books. My amazon wishlist consists of 2 classical cd's, surround-sound speakers for my CD player and about 400 books. I thought I was all alone with my addiction, but I can see that I am in good company. I have passed the stage of denial, but know that I have no desire to quit and am falling deeper and deeper into my addiction. I went grocery shopping last night and came home with 2 books and no groceries. Tonight I must, yet again, make my way to the grocery store so that I can buy some sustenance for my weary body. Hopefully I will find more for my non-stop mind as well:eek: .

Back