• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Conspiracy nuts?

beer good

OK, here's a question. In light of the Da Vinci Cod and all the various unrest in the world, it seems that more and more people are getting into conspiracy theories. You know the stuff - Jews controlling the media, the government putting microchips in the brain, Illuminati, "That's what THEY want you to think", "George Bush is really a lizard", yada yada yada.

I can't help but think that as moronic as this is, it's a fascinating subject. So does anyone know of a reasonably balanced book about the phenomenon - ie. a book ON conspiracy nuts, not OF conspiracy nuts: why people fall for it, historical overview, etc. (I guess what I'm really looking for is a non-fiction version of "Foucault's Pendulum"...)

I don' t know of any but when you log into your thread here, 3 titles about conspiracy theory come up in the adbanner above.

Thanks SFG - looks like a good one. Will keep my eyes peeled. If you don't hear from me again, the key to the safe is under the purple swan's eyelid in the city of brown dogs. Keep watching the skis... uh, skies!

No, thanks, I've had my fill, I happen to be married to one. I'm forced to listen to these nutso's shortwave radio programs almost daily. The only thing keeping me from breaking his radio is the knowledge that he'd just go out and buy another one.

cajunmama said:
No, thanks, I've had my fill, I happen to be married to one. I'm forced to listen to these nutso's shortwave radio programs almost daily. The only thing keeping me from breaking his radio is the knowledge that he'd just go out and buy another one.
But maybe if you break the radio, the mind-control beams that the freemasons use to brainwash him won't have anything to go by and he'll give it up? :)

Nope. See, this is his second radio. He rolled over the first one with a tractor. He's really into these conspiracy nuts. You should see our office/sewing room/storage room. One wall is just about covered with canned goods and camping supplies, "just in case". But, considering we live in hurricane territory, this little hobby of his could be handy.

While not strictly about conspiracy theory enthusiasts, you might also want to check out Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. If I remember correctly, the author is McKay or Mackey or something.

I'm forced to listen to these nutso's shortwave radio programs almost daily. The only thing keeping me from breaking his radio is the knowledge that he'd just go out and buy another one.

Are you talking about this program?:D My favorite conspiracy by far, is how the government is spreading cancer to the general population through airplane contrails, or more accurately, "chemtrails.":eek:

You might want to let your other half know about the unexplained-mysteries.com forum. I'm not a member, but I just enjoy reading heated arguments between people who are fighting over whether or not the illuminati or the masons control the government.;)

SFG75 said:
Are you talking about this program?:D My favorite conspiracy by far, is how the government is spreading cancer to the general population through airplane contrails, or more accurately, "chemtrails.":eek:
Oh, yes, this is one of several programs he listens to. "chemtrails" is a good one. The implantation of microchips in everything is my other fav.
SFG75 said:
You might want to let your other half know about the unexplained-mysteries.com forum. I'm not a member, but I just enjoy reading heated arguments between people who are fighting over whether or not the illuminati or the masons control the government.;)
Umm....no, he does not need any more of this stuff, trust me:rolleyes:

I think some conspiracy theories are cool, though not necessarily true. They just get me thinking it would make a good novel. But some of them, I'm just like, "You guys are crazy." Like, one time I saw this book in Border's, and the author was convinced that The Matrix was a true story or something. I could understand if they were talking about the philosophy it's based off of being true (it's Plato's Cave, I believe), but no, "The Matrix" was in the title.

Whoever's spreading this stuff must be the same person that said homosexuals and abortionists caused Hurricane Katrina.

drmjwdvm said:
Should I be wearing a tin-foil hat?
No, but according to these people, you should either grow your own food or stockpile seeds so that you can and get a water filtration device , a backpack, and a good pair of walking shoes.

cajunmama said:
No, but according to these people, you should either grow your own food or stockpile seeds so that you can and get a water filtration device , a backpack, and a good pair of walking shoes.
So... grow your own food, drink clean water and walk a lot.

Sounds suspiciously like a diet to me.

Does this mean that all us meat-eating beer-drinking lazy people are freemasons/Illuminati/lizards?

beer good said:
So... grow your own food, drink clean water and walk a lot.

Sounds suspiciously like a diet to me.

Does this mean that all us meat-eating beer-drinking lazy people are freemasons/Illuminati/lizards?

Nah, but it makes a great theory..when can we expect your book to be published? ;)

beer good said:

No, it means that you are a victim of and slave to freemasons/illuminati/lizards. :rolleyes:

cajunmama said:
No, it means that you are a victim of and slave to freemasons/illuminati/lizards. :rolleyes:
Ah, of course. How stupid of me. Must be the fluoride in the water that's getting to my head.

Back