• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Contemporary Non-Anglo Authors

ja9 said:
The Dictionary.com definition of "Anglo" is:

"a white North American who is not of Hispanic or French descent"

If that's what they are giving then I'd suggest using a different dictionary. However, the actual definition given, which you didn't post, isn't perfect. It states:

1. Informal. An Anglo-American.
  2. An English-speaking person, especially a white North American who is not of Hispanic or French descent.
Such bullshit. An English-speaking person is not always anglo; I wouldn't consider an Argentinian that can speak English to be anglo.

Stewart said:
If that's what they are giving then I'd suggest using a different dictionary. However, the actual definition given, which you didn't post, isn't perfect. It states:

[/LIST]Such bullshit. An English-speaking person is not always anglo; I wouldn't consider an Argentinian that can speak English to be anglo.

And yet, wasn't Argentina once a colony of Spain? An Argentinian could be whiter than your grandma and speak better English too..Perhaps a better point of labeling might be based on ethnicity or nation of origin. It's hard to pin labels on anyone since we are all so different.

abecedarian said:
And yet, wasn't Argentina once a colony of Spain? An Argentinian could be whiter than your grandma and speak better English too.

Sort of, although many Argentinians are more likely to have an Italian dual nationality than Spanish.

Stewart said:
Such bullshit. An English-speaking person is not always anglo; I wouldn't consider an Argentinian that can speak English to be anglo.

I agree. The term has become difficult to apply in our multicultural world.

Back