• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Controversial

bookworm101

Hello,
I'n new here and I have a question. I'm really starting to get into the "controversial" genre of books and I want to know some good authors. I get the feeling that some controversial books out there are basically crap, if you get what I mean. I want the "good" ones. I found a book I'm interested in called "The Shadow of the Apocalypse" by Paul F. Crouch. If this is a good book, please let me know. Thanks for your time!
-m

I haven't read The Shadow of the Apocolypse, nor am I likely to. It looks like just another poke holes in an imperfect religion type book.

Michel Houellebecq seems to piss off people. Like Rushdie I believe he's had a fatwah placed on his life.

ions said:
Michel Houellebecq seems to piss off people. Like Rushdie I believe he's had a fatwah placed on his life.

LOL-I'll have to check that one out. Anyone who has death threats on them for writing a book can't be all bad.

SFG75 said:
LOL-I'll have to check that one out. Anyone who has death threats on them for writing a book can't be all bad.

Agreed. Although it's easier to get them from some than others. ;) Sometimes all it takes is a cartoon.

ions said:
Michel Houellebecq seems to piss off people.
Atomised showed such promise but disappeared up its own ass. For a novel full of unnecessary sex (although that was the point) its probably kinky enough to enjoy going there.

Check out the books on ALA's list of most challenged books of 1990-2000 - many are children's books (since it is parents doing the challenging, mostly), but some of these books are amazing and changed my life, and I still go back and reread 'em. It's worth a look, if you're interested in controversial.

The list can be found here: ALA 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000

I especially recommend The Giver by Lois Lowry.

D

bookworm101 said:
oh I'm sorry. I'm trying to get used to this. thanks everybody for all your time and help! :D
-m

Don't sweat it, I've created duplicate threads after doing a search. Unless you are as precise as a surgeon, it's going to happen. Just pointing out another related topic, that's all.:)

thanks everybody for your time, I'm about to go to the book store as soon as my mom gets home, thanks everybody for the help and I'll post some reviews later on the books you all requested. thanks!
-m

Try Turki Al-Hamad while you're at it, I think he has three or four fatwahs on him. I've only read the first of the trilogy which got him in trouble, but it was excellent. "Adama" was the title of that first volume. Sorry, I don't know if it's available in English, but since it's been translated to Norwegian, I should think it'd also have been translated to English.

Then there's always good ol' "Ulysses."
James Joyce's, not Alistair MacLean's, of course.

Back