• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cormac McCarthy

I've read all of his works and The Border Trilogy is right up there with the best I've ever read. A word of warning, the second book has quite a bit of Spanish language that is not translated.

I think his masterpiece is Blood Meridian, though. I can't recommend that one highly enough.

lenny nero said:
I've read all of his works and The Border Trilogy is right up there with the best I've ever read. A word of warning, the second book has quite a bit of Spanish language that is not translated.

I think his masterpiece is Blood Meridian, though. I can't recommend that one highly enough.
The Spanish language in the book bothered me a "wee" bit but the book was so good that I overlooked it. The Trilogy was about as enjoyable to me as most books that I have read. There are so many books that I would like to read and the Trilogy is one that I would like to re-read.

I have not read Blood Meridian but I am fast finding that I need to start a TBR list and will put it on the list. I am embarrased that I don't have a list as I have been winging it.

Not surprising, the guy is trendy lately. Personally, I loved The Road, hated Blood Meridian and can't even finish it, and haven't read anything else.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVED Blood Meridian!!!!!!!! OMG I remember reading it like at 2 a.m. in my living room with just my dinky little book light and reading the passages when they went scattering out in the desert early in the book just made feel...i dunno parched and kinda depressed. i kept picturing a white-hot arid-as-hell desert...i couldnt sleep right for days it was so eerie....*shivers*

Uh... he didn't write the comic; it's only an imitation of Cormac McCarthy, and why the hell would anybody want to copy his dried stark prose. Horrible.

I read the road a couple of weeks ago, its ok, didnt really blow me away after I put it down but its a very gipping book, and after getting used to the prose, which didnt take long, I found it very effective.

Spoiler - also I found it to be pretty damn optimistic, I thought it was going to be extremely nihilistic cause of all the imagery and whatnot but I actually found it an very optimistic book in light of the ending..

Id read another one of his books, especially now im familiar with his prose, hes so readable, its a great book for journeys.

Im thinking of maybe getting his trilogy in the Everymans edition.

mccarthy

just discovered him a few months ago via a no country for old men movie review
am in the midst of reading all his work
started with no country
the road(read twice in two days,currently residing on my list of all time best)
the border trilogy
blood meridian,a masterpiece
child of god
just got outer dark from the library,which is scouring the state for all else he wrote

I read that he's under contract with Knopf for 2 more books. He better hurry and write them, he's not getting any younger.

I read that he's under contract with Knopf for 2 more books. He better hurry and write them, he's not getting any younger.

Makes me curious as to what is coming down the pipeline from him.:confused:

Makes me curious as to what is coming down the pipeline from him.:confused:

Have you noticed the change of his style from his earlier works, such as blood meridian, to books recently published, such as no country and the road?

I've noticed that he used to write with much longer sentences dotted with very exotic words, but now, with the road, for example, his writing seems to be much simpler. Shorter sentences, much more common words, etc.

I think his next books will show where his writing is going, such as if he writes in a particular way for a particular subject matter.

What do you think?

Back