• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cormac McCarthy

Have you noticed the change of his style from his earlier works, such as blood meridian, to books recently published, such as no country and the road?

I've noticed that he used to write with much longer sentences dotted with very exotic words, but now, with the road, for example, his writing seems to be much simpler. Shorter sentences, much more common words, etc.

I think his next books will show where his writing is going, such as if he writes in a particular way for a particular subject matter.

What do you think?

To be honest, I'm not familiar with his earlier works. I should probably dive into that first before waiting to see what he whill churn out I suppose.

Starting with No Country for Old Men, the prose became less dense. If you go back and compare it to, say Outer Dark, it's like night and day. Or should I say twilight and night.

The trilogy was great, and "all the pretty horses" is a story I have re-read several times just for the pure enjoyment of the story. I also read "Sutree", which was enjoyable in a sad, bleak, somewhat humorous sort of way.

All in all, a great author but not for everyone.

Blood Meridian

Reading Blood Meridian now, chapter 3, and I'm hooked! I've set aside my others to finish this one.

I read the road a couple of weeks ago, its ok, didnt really blow me away after I put it down but its a very gipping book, and after getting used to the prose, which didnt take long, I found it very effective.

Spoiler - also I found it to be pretty damn optimistic, I thought it was going to be extremely nihilistic cause of all the imagery and whatnot but I actually found it an very optimistic book in light of the ending..

Id read another one of his books, especially now im familiar with his prose, hes so readable, its a great book for journeys.

Im thinking of maybe getting his trilogy in the Everymans edition.

I definitely noticed that, too, about the positive message. The flame, the word of God, is always continuing.

Personally I found it really moving as a father/son story. Especially when the father said "You're the best guy."

Back