• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Affairs, Recent History, and Politics

RenZhe

Hi, I'm in need of some book recommendations on current affairs, recent history (1960's-Now) and anything on politics. I'm really interested in reading anything right now as long as it has to do with something in one of these three categories. Thanks a lot!

Are you reading for your pleasure/knowledge, or are you scouring references for study/work?

I say: Bill Clinton's My Life.

ds

I've almost replied to this a couple of times, but it's such a broad category. Most of the bestseller-type books out there have a definite bias--I would include autobiographies and memoirs in this. Also, no idea what country or issues you're interested in. If you just say 'all,' you're not making it any easier to make a recommendation.

Also, any really decent history of the period is going to consider a deeper historical perspective, i.e., it's pretty hard to discuss the events of the 1960s in the US without understanding the 50s, etc.

So, what's your angle?

How about BBC Journalist John Simpson's books

A Mad World, My Masters: Tales from a Traveller's Life
Strange Places, Questionable People

I've read them both and enjoyed them

I know it's a broad category, but the truth is I'm willing to read any book right now on the listed topics as long as it's good. Perhaps a good book review website might be a better solution instead of just listing books, since then I can just pick and choose from what looks good. There's so much out there and it would be nice to narrow the selection down to only books that I would probably enjoy.

Gee...hello, I'm quite new.
Just a suggestion, but...

For recent history, depending on the exact time frame you want, Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States"--or more specifically, "The Twentieth Century: A People's History, if you so choose--is quite thorough. It recquires a bit of concentration on my part sometimes, but is an invaluable resource.
Also, if you feel in the mood to dig a bit deeper, Alex de Tocqueville's "Democracy in America" focuses a tick farther back in time, but gives a ridiculously sound basis for understanding politics--the American brand, of course.
In fact, you can find it online.

Hope you find what you're looking for...

lizalot said:
Gee...hello, I'm quite new.
Just a suggestion, but...

For recent history, depending on the exact time frame you want, Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States"--or more specifically, "The Twentieth Century: A People's History, if you so choose--is quite thorough. It recquires a bit of concentration on my part sometimes, but is an invaluable resource.
Also, if you feel in the mood to dig a bit deeper, Alex de Tocqueville's "Democracy in America" focuses a tick farther back in time, but gives a ridiculously sound basis for understanding politics--the American brand, of course.
In fact, you can find it online.

Hope you find what you're looking for...

Excellent works, especially the De Tocqueville one. :) Cross-reference Howard Zinn's book with Paul Johnson's History of the American People. Great way to get the perspective of how the left and right interpret history.

Romée Dallaire's Shake Hands With the Devil is a great one. Dallaire was the UN Force Commander in Rwanda during the genocide in 1994, and the book is all about the events leading up to, and during, the genocide. It's a very powerful book, and Dallaire does not hold back on criticizing the non-African world for essentially ignoring the fact that thousand of people were being slaughtered every day. There are a few parts in the book that are very graphic, but if you can stand that, check it out. It's one of, if not THE, best book I've read this year.

Bonzo said:
Romée Dallaire's Shake Hands With the Devil is a great one. Dallaire was the UN Force Commander in Rwanda during the genocide in 1994, and the book is all about the events leading up to, and during, the genocide. It's a very powerful book, and Dallaire does not hold back on criticizing the non-African world for essentially ignoring the fact that thousand of people were being slaughtered every day. There are a few parts in the book that are very graphic, but if you can stand that, check it out. It's one of, if not THE, best book I've read this year.
Bonzo you are so right about this book,it is graphic but its worth a read,very powerful as you say! Heartbreaking as well

Wabbit said:
What about Dude, where's my country? by Micheal Moore. In fact any of his books are good.

Definitely ane excellent read. Anything-book or film by him is definitely entertaining and thought provoking.

RenZhe said:
Hi, I'm in need of some book recommendations on current affairs, recent history (1960's-Now) and anything on politics. I'm really interested in reading anything right now as long as it has to do with something in one of these three categories. Thanks a lot!

I saw Craig Crawford interviewed about his recent book entitled Attack the Messenger which is about the relationship of the media to the politicians and the people. I can't give you my opinion yet as I was unable to locate it in my local library today, so am considering buying it. It may fall into one of your categories. Just a thought.

Nancy

Minniemal said:
All the President's Men by Woodward and Bernstein

A bit dated but a great read any day of the week.:) I in particular enjoyed the account of Nixon lecturing Kennedy's portrait.:D

For the 60's try Years of upheaval by Dr. Kissinger. As for the present day, I forgot who wrote it, but you may enjoy Why I am not a Muslim.

Back